GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Oct 12, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #631 of 8,962
No, you potentially create an impedance mismatch or other high speed transmission issues that the original finished cable was tested for . It's down to luck, not quality of connectors. Thinking it sounds better is not a a real test.
I understand your point barato, but......I don't know that tests always correlate with a pleasing experience. I don't need a test to tell me my pizza tastes great. Some of my components (integrated tube amp) test like hell, and sound far better to my ears than the ones I quickly turned around and dumped, the ones touted as "cleanest, lowest distortion, etc". I'm not saying I don't appreciate measurements, if I was a speaker/electronics engineer, I'd test the heck out of things, but the best designers I've known about then always test their wares subjectively, because at the end of the day they want to sell their stuff to people, not bench equipment.
But I do (believe it or not) appreciate your point. I'm going to ask my contact at Jennving about this and see what he says, would be good to know. As far as I can see, the Supra is using cheap Chinese plastic connectors, but they may just have tested a bunch to see which ones were the best match for the fewest kroners.
One more thing - I ordered the Telegartners specifically after reading over and over how well they worked with the Supra, and my guess is that just like some of the best RCA connectors, they are more "transparent" to adding resistance, due to good design. This has been my experience with KLEI Absolute Harmony RCAs, which work beautifully in both my digital cable (75 ohm) and my SE cables (90 ohm) from DAC to preamp. KLEI specifically specs them for use in both.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #632 of 8,962
No, you potentially create an impedance mismatch or other high speed transmission issues that the original finished cable was tested for . It's down to luck, not quality of connectors. Thinking it sounds better is not a a real test.
Have you actually tried the Supra 8 with Telegarner ends ? I have and along with a switch there was a remarkable reduction in noise , a typical work day I listen to FM broadcast out of a 50 year old Marantz receiver having tried internet radio the sound quality was bad .
A friend lent me his Supra Cat8 with switch to try the moment it was connected the transformation was night and day .

I don’t stream my music having access to a very large collection though I do enjoy FM broadcast and the soon to be delivered R 26 will expand my daily listening pleasure while I work from my office .
Another friend uses Network Acoustic brand a British manufacturing line of products that drastically reduce network noise he tells me he no longer uses his physical music collection streaming is exceptionally good quality , I’m highly confident he’s not imagining it.

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #633 of 8,962
try 1,152/24

Thanks; looks like I found some info from the audiophonics.fr page:

USB / I2S / LAN : PCM up to 32bit 768kHz, Native DSD up to DSD512, DSD DoP up to DSD256

Hope it’s correct lol

Oct 12, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #634 of 8,962
Thanks; looks like I found some info from the audiophonics.fr page:

USB / I2S / LAN : PCM up to 32bit 768kHz, Native DSD up to DSD512, DSD DoP up to DSD256

Hope it’s correct lol

Yup, 512 for sure. This combo of filters/modulators sound pretty great and the best I can get with just a 6700K. Theoretically, it has listed support up to DSD1024 via i2s but no DDC currently is capable that I know of.

Edited album art for nsfw.
Screenshot 2022-10-12 104453.png

Oct 12, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #635 of 8,962
After further listening and extensive testing, it's time to revise my experience & opinion. 1) the R26 continues to sound better and better with extensive break-in (a month). 2) The external 10Mhz clock does improve resolution, however at the expense of musicality. I'm happier with the music without an external clock. I was using genuine Gustard cables but with a less expensive LHY clock. 3) I'm getting better music using a high quality SPDIF (rca) cable compared to the I2S which sounds very good but slightly flat in comparison. 4) I get the best results using the U18/SPDIF combination compared to LAN which has slightly more glare and the background isn't quite as black. The LAN sounds very good, just not quite as good. I do have a highly revealing system, high quality speakers, class-a amp & fantastic preamp for what its worth...
Hello, it's my first post in head-fi I have find your forum looking for information about the mighty R26.
First of all I have to congratulate you, it seems that you have the longest thread about the dac IN THE WORLD ! 😃.
My experience with it is simpler and shorter: it runs since yesterday in my living room.
What I have already noticed, beside it's obvious sound qualities, is that with a basic ethernet network - by that I mean a router, a switch and cat6 cables in the walls, no fancy cables, no isolator, no bridge - our new friend sounds much less refined that with a good usb streamer like the SOtM that I use.
I have a question for you Markkpa: did you experience the different filters or the NOS setting ?

Oct 12, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #636 of 8,962
Really interested in this DAC for the additional streamer capabilities for Roon and HQPlayer. That would mean reducing the number of boxes, but two things are stoppi me from buying it:
- not sure if the LAN input is just as good (if not better) than the other ones…no point in changing my current setup if I need to add a DDC again, or another streamer
- I enjoy my current DAC, the Denafrips Venus II, via USB connected to Raspberry PI 4 acting as NAA. Not sure how the Gustard will compare to it

Oct 12, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #637 of 8,962
Really interested in this DAC for the additional streamer capabilities for Roon and HQPlayer. That would mean reducing the number of boxes, but two things are stoppi me from buying it:
- not sure if the LAN input is just as good (if not better) than the other ones…no point in changing my current setup if I need to add a DDC again, or another streamer
- I enjoy my current DAC, the Denafrips Venus II, via USB connected to Raspberry PI 4 acting as NAA. Not sure how the Gustard will compare to it
Sandhu from Soundnews pits it against Denafrips Terminator Plus which is saying a lot.

A few pages back I have read someone with extensive ddc experience made comparisons and ended up preferring LAN with a passion. I don’t have a DDC (yet) but what I’m hearing with HQPlayer+LAN is already a big deal. I have an Allo Digione Signature (with Shanti PSU) which has just been made redundant.

I have already put up my TT2 up for sale; I realize my ears prefer R2R.

Oct 12, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #638 of 8,962
C2FF2118-3048-4636-810A-69FB29DCE1AD.jpeg

Despite being an ugly looking DAC, I have to admit being in a matching stack is an improvement (due to visual harmony and symmetry). It’s still not pretty though; but an improvement at least.

Do we know any details about this H20pro amplifier? I mean if it performs as well as the R26 does then we got another winner. Hope it can drive Susvara.

Oct 12, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #639 of 8,962
Hello guys, I have a few questions and I ask your help.
I m thinking to upgrade my dac (Gustard x16) with the R26...
I m listen mostly mqa via Tidal in headphones setup.
My current setup is
Tidal app> Ifi zen stream LAN connected> to gustard x16 > to ifi pro ican signature.

The question is, if I bought the R26 it's possible to connecting directly The R26 via LAN and control my Tidal library from my tablet (Samsung A7) if I use the UAPP or I need Roon... I don't have pc.
So the zen stream is not necessary to the chain.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #640 of 8,962
The question is, if I bought the R26 it's possible to connecting directly The R26 via LAN and control my Tidal library from my tablet (Samsung A7) if I use the UAPP or I need Roon... I don't have pc.
With quite some trickery until Gustard adds Tidal Connect support officially:
If you want TIDAL Connect on your Gustard R26, here's the guide! https://gist.github.com/NoaHimesaka1873/8ef2396d5296765c37170e54c4ab1745
WARNING: Linux knowledge required. Witchcraft will be performed by following this guide. Seriously, read that before continuing.

Oct 12, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #641 of 8,962
Hello guys, I have a few questions and I ask your help.
I m thinking to upgrade my dac (Gustard x16) with the R26...
I m listen mostly mqa via Tidal in headphones setup.
My current setup is
Tidal app> Ifi zen stream LAN connected> to gustard x16 > to ifi pro ican signature.

I’m doing the same, from Zen Stream to the R26 via LAN. I’m planning to use mConnect, since you’re using Android you just need Bubble UPnP or something similar, and you’re good to go. I set up mConnect last night, it was a breeze with Qobuz and Tidal.

Oct 12, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #642 of 8,962
I’m doing the same, from Zen Stream to the R26 via LAN. I’m planning to use mConnect, since you’re using Android you just need Bubble UPnP or something similar, and you’re good to go. I set up mConnect last night, it was a breeze with Qobuz and Tidal.
Sorry if that wasn’t clear. Eliminating the ZenStream, moving to the Gustard, via LAN.

Oct 12, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #643 of 8,962
You can BUT not with UAPP but with BubbleUPnP.
Connect LAN directly to R26. And control DAC thru your tablet via BubbleUPnP via Wifi.
W/ BubbleUPnP you could access Tidal, Qobuz, Cloud Storage or NAS.

Oct 12, 2022 at 7:38 PM Post #645 of 8,962
To find out try HQ OS to 24bit 1152kHz over LAN R26 input and see if music comes out. While the official spec is LAN : PCM up to 32bit 768kHz, you might find it actually runs at 24bit 1152kHz. The bit rates are similar.
1152 kHz is such an odd sample rate. Is it ¾ × 1536 = 1152 because of 24 bits instead of 32 bits? I'd understand 24/1024 when you use 32/768 as the basis.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back