GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Sep 11, 2022 at 12:53 PM Post #241 of 8,833
Unlike previous generation Rpi, 4th gen has very low noise objectively and a good LPS like allo Shanti is all you need to pair good streamer with U18.

Sep 12, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #242 of 8,833
The Gustard R26 DAC

Introduction

I have been worried on purchasing an R2R DAC after reading reviews on the Denatrips and Holo DAC’s. I thought they probably would not appeal to the rocker in me. It was not until I heard the Rockna Wavelight that I changed my mind. The plan was to save and save until I could purchase one. A 15% sales increase changed my mind.
I then decided to wait for the latest AKM chip-based DAC. But a description “Sounds like velvet” put me off. Too much in the smooth side was how I imagined the sound to be. So, I just thought it would take time for me to purchase a new DAC.
What is the problem with Denafrips ? I own the Pontus II and I have no problems !

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #243 of 8,833
The Gustard R26 DAC

Introduction

I have been worried on purchasing an R2R DAC after reading reviews on the Denatrips and Holo DAC’s. It was not until I heard the Rockna Wavelight that I changed my mind.
I have friend who recently had a Rockna (burned in) on a very good system, he ended up selling it after comparing it to his Aqua La Scala DAC and that was when using the La Scala through the Rockna's preamp section. A combo of La Scala and and a good standalone preamp was found to be better than the Rockna DAC and its built-in preamp.
He's now back on the hunt to find another DAC with a preamp. He's waiting longer to hear more feedback about the R26 which I cant image being better than the above items which are 3-4 times more expensive but there's hope.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #244 of 8,833
I have friend who recently had a Rockna (burned in) on a very good system, he ended up selling it after comparing it to his Aqua La Scala DAC and that was using the La Scala through the preamp section of the Rockna. A combo of La Scala and and a good standalone preamp was found to be better than the Rockna DAC and its preamp
He's now back on the hunt to find another DAC with a preamp. He's waiting longer to hear more feedback about the R26 which I cant image being better than the above items which are several times more expensive but there's hope.
He will be in for a surprise probably, like many of us were :)

Sep 12, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #245 of 8,833
Can anyone do me a favor and test PCM-DSD upsampling with HQP and how you are connected?

Sep 14, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #247 of 8,833
Last edited:
Sep 14, 2022 at 1:31 PM Post #248 of 8,833
Read this and the user's subsequent posts on the following pages.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...ve-decoding-music-bridge.963630/post-17120557

TLDR: BubbleUPnP runs as it is intended. User suggests using Qobuz/Tidal w/in BubbleUPnP.
Thank you M-i-c-k-e-y. You had already reported Ray's post to me, but I wanted to understand if other users have also used the R26 via UPnP to know out what level of audio quality they have achieved, but also to understand if the listening is fluid and without interruptions.

Sep 14, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #249 of 8,833
the R26 via UPnP to know out what level of audio quality they have achieved, but also to understand if the listening is fluid and without interruptions.
You mean gapless?

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:28 AM Post #251 of 8,833
Enyone compared R26 to Holo audio spring 3 KTE ? Or chord hugo 2/qutest ? I'm abaut to pull the trigger on Holo audio spring 3 but this one is cheaper and have streaming option

Edit : I had qutest + farad super 3 in my system (parasound halo hint integrated + monitor audio gold 200 5g and SVS sb16 ultra sub , didn't really like qutest was a Little bit harsh sounding On my system . God details but not natural sounding . Now I using dac from my home cinema media player (zidoo uhd 3000 ) is not really great just for now until I find proper DAC 😀 . I aslo considering pontus 2 as well .

I using roon + HQP direct usb from my PC , however zidoo uhd 3000 is roon certified so I can using by LAN with is very handy

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #252 of 8,833
Tip: You could use your Zidoo as player/streamer/server to your DAC by installing USB Audio Player Pro (UAPP) in Google Play ($10 purchase). And attch your DAC via USB.
Asie from Qobuz and Tidal integration you enable it as a UPnP renderer and access it remotely thru your smartphone or tablet via BubbleUPnp. Doing it for years now.

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #253 of 8,833
Well I have USB audio player but zidoo can directlly playing from roon and I can connect any dac to zidoo usb , however in this case IT only output 192/24 as zidoo is limited to that sample rate on every Digital out coax/toslink or USB . So I can't really use HQP on that

Sep 15, 2022 at 5:37 AM Post #254 of 8,833
A bummer that its only upto 24/192

Sep 15, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #255 of 8,833
Enyone compared R26 to Holo audio spring 3 KTE ?

Enyone compared R26 to Holo audio spring 3 KTE ?
This is a comparison I am also very curious about when I first read about the R26. The Holo is double the price of the R26 and is most likely to have better sound quality. But, knowing Gustard, I suspect the difference between them will be insignificant and not really justify the additional cost of the Holo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back