GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Aug 4, 2022 at 3:19 AM Post #46 of 8,893
So, this would eliminate the U18 in the chain?
What would I lose by going to ethernet and limitations?
If you use ethernet directly, you could eliminate the usb jitter and don't need U18 or others. For the bitrate, as declared, the same as usb and i2s. I don't know honestly if it is full decoder MQA or not. The usb chipset, xmos xu216, could full decode mqa if Gustard allow that but I have some doubt

Aug 25, 2022 at 9:04 PM Post #48 of 8,893
After lots of thinking between this vs Holo Spring 3, Schiit Yggy (sounds crazy isn't it?) I chose this thing because of network playing capability. Will post impression after I receive this thing supposedly tomorrow.

Aug 27, 2022 at 1:17 AM Post #49 of 8,893
8FA795F3-CF25-41E4-971C-7126A3EB48A8.jpeg

Just received it! First impression: very detailed yet rich, textured sound.

Aug 27, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #50 of 8,893
Congratulations! So does the network streaming function works?

Aug 27, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #51 of 8,893
Aug 28, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #53 of 8,893
Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #54 of 8,893

I'm impressed about this review, if Gustard engineers are able to archive this quality on a first product R2R based.

About ethernet end point sound quality, nothing tested and compared only a sentence about Gustard U18 interface that sound better.

"It needs to be said that while I find it excellent via USB coming from my PC, it was clearer and faster sounding via Ethernet running Roon and even better when I’ve added a Singxer SU-6 / Gustard U18 DDC in between my PC and R26. I don’t own a dedicated Roon Core / Server, but I can only presume that it might sound as clean as transparent as it sounds via high-performance DDCs, but that’s an educated guess at this point, so take it with a small grain of salt."

I would like a comparison or experience on that.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 9:40 PM Post #55 of 8,893
Unfortunately the MC-3+ USB is not bit perfect when used as a USB DDC or when used with an external clock. It uses asynchronous sample rate conversion, i.e. you can see filter artifacts like ringing in the digital output. When using its USB input AND an external clock it even does that twice in a row.

For all other inputs the bits get preserved as long as you use its internal clock.

GoldenSound said the Audio-GD DI-20 is bit perfect, so that may be an option.

Edit: Corrected my claim about the MC-3+ USB not being bit-perfect when used as a USB DDC, this is incorrect. Playing via USB it bit-perfect, recording is not because an ASRC is used here.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 11:15 PM Post #56 of 8,893
Aug 29, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #57 of 8,893
I have a Denafrips Pontus II and wondering whether this DAC would be an upgrade to it. Anyone has experience with both?
I wish this was a pure DAC without any streaming functionality. Streaming will just add noise and will not be as good and complete as a dedicated streaming device. If they release R26 without streaming and they reduce the price, it will be the best DAC in the market at that price

Aug 29, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #58 of 8,893
I wish this was a pure DAC without any streaming functionality. Streaming will just add noise and will not be as good and complete as a dedicated streaming device. If they release R26 without streaming and they reduce the price, it will be the best DAC in the market at that price
If you actually use the streaming part it may still be superior to a separate streamer that doesn't have (asynchronous) USB out since the DAC can retain control over the clock (compared to connecting an external streamer via S/PDIF for instance).

But I agree that it would at least be nice to be able to completely turn off any "smart" parts you don't need.

Aug 29, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #60 of 8,893
Sonically I can’t imagine it will be an upgrade to the Pontus. The latter has double the amount of ladders and dedicated oscillators.
The double amount of ladders only means that the DAC section of the Pontus is balanced, whereas the Gustard R26 DAC section is single-ended and only the output-stage is balanced. Doesn't necessarily result in worse sonics. What do you mean by dedicated oscillators?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back