GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 10, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #1,306 of 8,833

Why are external clocks sub-optimal for digital audio?

A clock signal is a fast moving precision electrical signal and is extremely sensitive to added noise or distortion. Each time it’s buffered or transmitted, a portion of its precision is lost. Even if a small amount of noise couples into the clocks, jitter will increase dramatically. It might still be an accurate clock, but accuracy is of little performance benefit to digital audio. A clock sent over an ultra-high quality cable will still increase its jitter considerably. The best solution is to create the lowest jitter clock as close to the DAC as possible.

https://www.msbtechnology.com/dacs/clock-options/

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #1,307 of 8,833
Marketing nonsense with no measurements? nice one.
Strange isn't that they talk about phase noise yet I could not find a single measurement of their clocks on the site.

Here is some real proof, phase noise measurements of clock signal at the end of 1m coax cable, zero impact on jitter even at these exceptionally low levels:
https://www.diyaudio.com/community/...ystal-oscillator.261651/page-199#post-6707079

There is no inherent issue transmitting a clock over a short distance, if jitter is added this is down to incompetent design rather that a few cm of cabling as explained.
You would assume Gustard knows what they are doing in this regard (and might explain a thing or 2 about MSB competency)

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #1,308 of 8,833
Seriously, should these topics be discussed here? If any external clock works well with R26, let me know.
Why is all this clock's theory here?

Nov 10, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #1,309 of 8,833
Again please limit discussions to R26.

Clocks, Cables, File Format, (etc.) debate/discussions have their dedicated sections at "Computer Audio" / "Sound Science".
Throw your deliberations over there.

Or suggesting to go to the OTHER FORUM and but your heads with them. :L3000:

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #1,311 of 8,833
Interesting review

Nov 10, 2022 at 8:10 PM Post #1,313 of 8,833
No worries - I think it’s interesting he preferred the Zen Stream over LAN direct. My R26 comes Monday so will compare that specifically once the unit is bedded in.

Nov 10, 2022 at 10:44 PM Post #1,315 of 8,833
I tried using the lan input playing from my MacBook Pro and I could only get a very low volume output. R26 set to fixed and computer volume all the way up playing Qobuz. Any suggestions as to why I had no volume? All others ( usb, and Bluetooth) I have tried have been fine.

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #1,316 of 8,833
It's here! Burning it in, hopefully will replace my x26 pro.
20221111_093215.jpg

Nov 10, 2022 at 11:48 PM Post #1,317 of 8,833
Again please limit discussions to R26.

Clocks, Cables, File Format, (etc.) debate/discussions have their dedicated sections at "Computer Audio" / "Sound Science".
Throw your deliberations over there.

Or suggesting to go to the OTHER FORUM and but your heads with them. :L3000:
The truth is that one of he reasons I purchased the R26 is because of the optional clock input- which is not standard in 90% of dac's-- so I do not believe it is completely off subject to discuss the merits or harm of the use of this input as this is an important feature of this dac ; but perhaps we have gone overboard.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #1,318 of 8,833
I have tried to follow this thread as good as possible but still have one important question which is not completely clear to me.
If I buy this DAC today and use it as a DAC only in my stereo set-up, so digital coax in from my streamer and RCA out to my integrated amp...do I risk to experience any hum other noise from this unit (also in stand by)?
I this issue fixed of is there no issue? Seems like a hit or miss with the hum...
Thanks! Knowing myself I would freak out spending this kind of money and ending up with a hum 😅

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:53 AM Post #1,319 of 8,833
I have tried to follow this thread as good as possible but still have one important question which is not completely clear to me.
If I buy this DAC today and use it as a DAC only in my stereo set-up, so digital coax in from my streamer and RCA out to my integrated amp...do I risk to experience any hum other noise from this unit (also in stand by)?
I this issue fixed of is there no issue? Seems like a hit or miss with the hum...
Thanks! Knowing myself I would freak out spending this kind of money and ending up with a hum 😅
There is no real issue. We were talking about a - very, very, low- high frequency noise that comes from the front panel of the dac. In my case, this noise can only be heard if I put my ears directly on the device, and it disappears when I have used the dac for some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back