GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Nov 9, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #1,248 of 8,833
I can play with HQPlayer over a LAN connection. It works technically flawlessly.
nice and do you have a best "sounding setting" for the R26, I don't know the "DAC bits" resolution, I know that for Other R2R need to be set the value of R2R array

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #1,249 of 8,833
nice and do you have a best "sounding setting" for the R26, I don't know the "DAC bits" resolution, I know that for Other R2R need to be set the value of R2R array
No, I use Roon, it sounds more natural to me. Otherwise, I prefer native mode. I don't like upsampling. I am sorry, I can't help.

Nov 9, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #1,252 of 8,833
By the way the annoying thing now that didn't happen with the previous firmware is that now, when I use the coax input from my CD transport, and every time I select and change to a new track, it sounds a "click" from the internal relays. Not really a problem for me but a bit annoying. This only happens with the coax input using my CD transport. I have tried the LAN input and no clicks when changing tracks. Maybe my CD transport stop data streaming when I select and change to a new track and the R26 now mute the output when not receiving the data stream. Just a guess

Nov 9, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #1,254 of 8,833
I've been breaking in the dac for 3-4 days and it does sound reasonably good. I do find it perhaps- overly thick sounding at the cost of some detail and crispness.

I'm hopeful that break in will help; but I am a bit concerned. Actually, every piece of new equipment I have ever purchased is initially a bid muddy; but I find the muddiness usually breaks within 1-3 days... Using my high quality10mhz external clock definitely makes things worse in this area and really darkens things up. Hoping for the best...

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #1,255 of 8,833
I've been breaking in the dac for 3-4 days and it does sound reasonably good. I do find it perhaps- overly thick sounding at the cost of some detail and crispness.

I'm hopeful that break in will help; but I am a bit concerned. Actually, every piece of new equipment I have ever purchased is initially a bid muddy; but I find the muddiness usually breaks within 1-3 days... Using my high quality10mhz external clock definitely makes things worse in this area and really darkens things up. Hoping for the best...
I just received the R26 about 2 hours ago and my first impression is exactly the same.
PXL_20221109_182118545 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #1,256 of 8,833

The DAC needs to be played for at least 200 hours before evaluation. I also noticed that DAC likes a good, more open power cord. I currently use the Shunyata Taipan Helix Alpha. It sounds much better than with the cable that came with the device. The resolution is very good. The sound is dense, but with many fine details.

Nov 9, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #1,257 of 8,833

Give it a good run in , I wouldn’t be concerned with the r26 sounding out of focus and muddy that’l go away , recently I had a Enleum 23R driving a pair of TeKton Lore speakers with the Gustard in the mix and currently I have a Accuphase 280 intregrate , Lordy , if something didn’t sound right with the Gustard I wouldn’t be here posting and the r26 would be nothing but a foot note by now .

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #1,258 of 8,833
I have all pure occ silver IC's, USB cable, I2s cable, headphone cables in my system. These cables offer the brightest and most open sound possible- so I am surprised by the muddiness.....

Nov 9, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #1,259 of 8,833
I have all pure occ silver IC's, USB cable, I2s cable, headphone cables in my system. These cables offer the brightest and most open sound possible- so I am surprised by the muddiness.....

After about 2-300 hours is when the bass beefed up for me.

Nov 9, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #1,260 of 8,833
This will change if the unit is in working order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back