GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 4, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #8,011 of 8,851
Actually I did have one more suggestion, in case no one else had made it… using @wikaudio ‘s modified Gustarender firmware with Tidal Connect it works smoothly for most who’ve tried it. Especially the pared back sans-Roon versions which might use less of the R26 renderer board’s tiny memory. But then I saw from your post above, Murphy’s Law, you are of course a Qobuz user so once more not a particularly helpful suggestion for you (assuming you don’t also have Tidal). We are trying our best though!
Thanks mate! appreciate you all for the help. I use Tidal also, but mostly Qobuz. Tidal is good for some vocal recordings, but I listen to classical music a lot, and Qobuz seems quite a bit better in streaming classical music.

Dec 4, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #8,012 of 8,851
Ok, well good to know you’ve tried it, anyway. I’m all out of suggestions sorry given you don’t want to use a computer and the likes of Roon. I use Roon & HQP btw, smooth as silk even at the crazy high bitrate of DSD512. (Though what is your Windows ref above?)
I use Windows to stream in a way nobody I know of uses. I use Fidelizer together with Foobar2000. I don't play direct from Foobar2000 though, I install uPnP component and use BubbleuPnP to stream to Foobar2000. In the background, I also have Audiophile Renderer running, but I don't use that. Having Audiophile Renderer opened in background however will add some nice favor to the sound, don't ask me why, I have stopped questioning logic since I played with CAS.

The phone I run BubbleuPnP on also affects the sound a lot. All iPhones do not sound good, different Android phones also sound different. Phones with Snapdragon CPU generally sounds better than other CPUs. I personally use Samsung Note 20, I haven't found a phone that sounds better in uPnP yet, even my newer zFold 5 does not sound as good.

The above refers to my main system, which I uses U18 feeding to X26 Pro. I have no problem on my main system, the sound is superb. On my secondary system, I am trying to make the R26 sound close to my main system, with just a network cable.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2023 at 1:49 PM Post #8,013 of 8,851
Does anyone know if anyone has done any ‘inter sample overs’ tests for the R26? I’ve so far been using exclusively in fixed (full) output as I’m using a quality external preamp. I have just this week set the output the -3db. Would I expect it to handle overs better set like this? I havnt noticed any difference either way to be honest, but it does have the advantage of putting the preamp volume control in a more usable range.

Any thought?

Dec 5, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #8,014 of 8,851
Does anyone know if anyone has done any ‘inter sample overs’ tests for the R26? I’ve so far been using exclusively in fixed (full) output as I’m using a quality external preamp. I have just this week set the output the -3db. Would I expect it to handle overs better set like this? I havnt noticed any difference either way to be honest, but it does have the advantage of putting the preamp volume control in a more usable range.

Any thought?
Setting pre-amp - 3dB doesn't help, as distortions are produced earlier (during oversampling).

However when you play in NOS mode, there is no intersample overs, so no need to worry.

Dec 6, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #8,016 of 8,851
Hello everyone.

I've just arrived at this article which contains over 500 pages!!! Wouaahh !! As it is difficult to find one's way through such a long article, what advice do you have regarding an external master clock with this R26 DAC and U18 ?

Is its contribution significant enough to justify the expense ? Which model do you recommend for the best value (under $1000) ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Sincerely to all of you from France.

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #8,017 of 8,851
Hello everyone.

I've just arrived at this article which contains over 500 pages!!! Wouaahh !! As it is difficult to find one's way through such a long article, what advice do you have regarding an external master clock with this R26 DAC and U18 ?

Is its contribution significant enough to justify the expense ? Which model do you recommend for the best value (under $1000) ?

It was infighting, it is why reading this all doesn't reflect a true story. Keep it in mind while receiving conflicting responses.

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #8,018 of 8,851
My good mood and my goodwill for everyone is almost limitless :)

An audiophile for so many years, I read with interest everyone's opinion and I decide, by returning to listen to music which keeps the smile that I hold dear.

But thank you for your intervention :)

Dec 6, 2023 at 6:59 AM Post #8,019 of 8,851
Hello everyone.

Leo Bodnar 10mhz reference clock at £165 from the UK, unbeatable value and can be improved considerably when used with better RG405 interconnects or even better still inside the R26 DAC with shorter connections, search my previous posts...

Dec 6, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #8,020 of 8,851
Merci-chat.gif

Dec 6, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #8,021 of 8,851
Plenty on here do use external clocks and seem to think they offer a worthwhile improvement. I’m very skeptical, tests show external clocks generally reduce SNR and increase jitter, there’s a huge advantage having the clock adjacent to where it’s used, so it would have to be really bad for one provided along several feet of wire via several connections to be an improvement YMMV.

Dec 6, 2023 at 12:04 PM Post #8,022 of 8,851
Plenty on here do use external clocks and seem to think they offer a worthwhile improvement. I’m very skeptical, tests show external clocks generally reduce SNR and increase jitter, there’s a huge advantage having the clock adjacent to where it’s used, so it would have to be really bad for one provided along several feet of wire via several connections to be an improvement YMMV.
Hi, you're right there about distance of connection, having the external/internal clock closest to the DAC is very important from my experience. Having several feet of connection to such a critical timing device is surely bad, from common sense thinking.... no matter what cable is used. That's why having the clock inside the actual DAC is paramount.

Dec 6, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #8,023 of 8,851
Dec 6, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #8,024 of 8,851
Hello everyone.

I've just bought the Leo Bodnar clock and use it on the U18 with I2S to the R26, seems a nice upgrade, though still burning in
have tried it in both U18 and R26 and R26 only and having it on U18 seems best, not sure if it was doing anything connected to R26 as sounded the same.
Leo Bodnar are due to release an audiophile version in the coming months, better performance for more money.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #8,025 of 8,851
I've just bought the Leo Bodnar clock and use it on the U18 with I2S to the R26, seems a nice upgrade, though still burning in
have tried it in both U18 and R26 and R26 only and having it on U18 seems best, not sure if it was doing anything connected to R26 as sounded the same.
Leo Bodnar are due to release an audiophile version in the coming months, better performance for more money.
wondered how Leo Bodnar compare with LHY OCK-2? I am a user of OCK-2, for one thing I know, OCK-2 provides improvement with direct connection to R26 without U18.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back