GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jul 20, 2023 at 4:36 AM Post #6,856 of 8,922
First of all congratulations! Finally on your first post!

See Page 1 (Firmware Upgrade instructions)

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 5:17 AM Post #6,857 of 8,922
Just one small point, having not tried a comparison myself on CPL (although I have some wall plug examples) vs wi-fi extender, of which I am a big fan. We know using FMC’s fibre modules work great to eliminate detrimental electrical noise.

So why would you use a system that travels along the mains electrical system…….
I'll put comparing CPL with wi-fi extender on my to-do list, don't knock it till you've tried it is a good idiom.

Jul 20, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #6,858 of 8,922
I'll put comparing CPL with wi-fi extender on my to-do list, don't knock it till you've tried it is a good idiom.
Compared to other modes of transfer of DATA, wired Ethernet is among the most silent, because it was conceived for transfers over quite long distances at times in which fiber was not widely spread. All the switches, the routers, CPL extenders, FMCs… through which the DATA travels have a built-in galvanic isolation to keep the noise floor low.
We as audiophiles are sensitive to the little electrical noise that remains, and we suppress it just before the endpoint.

WiFi extenders were not a reliable solution for audio streaming only three or four years ago. If one visits old threads on forums, he should see many reports about stuttering, and dropouts with WiFi.
And there are situations in which WiFi is not a workable solution for a network. For instance, we have a country house which is a very old building on three floors with in locations walls two meters thick.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 6:03 AM Post #6,859 of 8,922
First of all congratulations! Finally on your first post!

See Page 1 (Firmware Upgrade instructions)

Hi,

Well offcourse, the first page :face_palm: Got everything running infew minutes. I would like to thank everyone involved in the FW project. WithTidal ConnectR26 must be the best bang for the buckbox out there. Sounds absolutely sublime and has everything under one hood.

Jul 20, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #6,860 of 8,922
Since you are using LAN, try the FMC mod (page 1). A 200Eur well worth.

Jul 20, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #6,862 of 8,922
WiFi extenders were not a reliable solution for audio streaming only three or four years ago. If one visits old threads on forums, he should see many reports about stuttering, and dropouts with WiFi.
They used generic access point sharing a bandwith for all users, it is why the experienced dropouts. They didn't learn a trick that they should isolate traffic. When connecting a pair of WiFi extenders to the PC, it can work as a dedicated link, no shared traffic, there will be no dropouts.
And there are situations in which WiFi is not a workable solution for a network. For instance, we have a country house which is a very old building on three floors with in locations walls two meters thick.
Correct, if you want transmit through thick walls. It is actually a good case for a dedicated WiFi link inside the same room, very little external noise.

But wait, two meters thick walls? There must be hidden compartments between, time to start treasure hunting. :)

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 6:45 AM Post #6,863 of 8,922
Jul 20, 2023 at 7:17 AM Post #6,865 of 8,922
I can only say, welcome to this forum Mr. President :slight_smile:
As long my posts keep deleted, your warm welcome words will be relevant on every occasion.
:)

Jul 20, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #6,866 of 8,922
But wait, two meters thick walls? There must be hidden compartments between, time to start treasure hunting. :)
Old houses were built like that in the villages in Corsica to protect from hot and cold weather.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2023 at 4:56 AM Post #6,868 of 8,922
Does anyone use a Purple fuse SRX in R26?
Not that one, but I found a definite step forward (not subtle) with an upgrade Gustard fuse for very reasonable cost

Jul 21, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #6,870 of 8,922
More realistic timing, makes the sound more analogue........ and it's very good value. Once experienced it's impossible to not use it IMHO.
There may be better clocks around at much greater prices....... as always.

I've just searched and there's plenty comments there..... maybe look again. Jake2 has all three and mentioned the LB sounds better than the OCK-01 (circa $400) but not quite as good as the OCK-02 ($600+)

One of these turned up this week in the post, see pic, I just thought after Cams remarks then I have to compare the Leo Bodnar with a more conventional OXCO low phase noise clock. Nicely made and outputs square and sine wave. I have the SMA to motherboard cables ready. (AliE is your friend)
Only problem is I haven't the time at the moment and it's too b*&%y hot as we are experiencing a bit of a heat wave in Southern Europe, (slight understatement), but I will be trying it out as soon as possible inside the R26 with as short a connection link as possible direct to R26 motherboard MCX connector (RG-405 or solid RF cable) ...... and report back.

Attachments

• OCXO-10Mhz-Frequency-Reference-Module-Frequency-Reference-Source-Low-Phase-Noise-For-Sound-De...jpeg
    OCXO-10Mhz-Frequency-Reference-Module-Frequency-Reference-Source-Low-Phase-Noise-For-Sound-De...jpeg
    354.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back