GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Jul 19, 2023 at 10:12 AM Post #6,844 of 8,918
Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 10:20 AM Post #6,845 of 8,918
Jul 19, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #6,846 of 8,918
Just one small point, having not tried a comparison myself on CPL (although I have some wall plug examples) vs wi-fi extender, of which I am a big fan. We know using FMC’s fibre modules work great to eliminate detrimental electrical noise.

So why would you use a system that travels along the mains electrical system…….

Jul 19, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #6,847 of 8,918
So why would you use a system that travels along the mains electrical system…….
It brings LAN access, and internet to rooms that are not wired.
You can connect to its access point a switch to which you connect your server, and the first FMC, and then you stream to the endpoint.
In my system, when I stream tracks from Qobuz, I have an identical SQ as streaming local files.

EDIT
All these devices of my signature are connected to the same audiophile DIY switch, and the CPL LAN access is also connected to it:

M1 Mac Minii3 NUC with GentooPlayer & Diretta Host → Sonore OpticalModule Deluxe II

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #6,848 of 8,918
It brings LAN access, and internet to rooms that are not wired.
You can connect to its access point a switch to which you connect your server, and the first FMC, and then you stream to the endpoint.
In my system, when I stream tracks from Qobuz, I have an identical SQ as streaming local files.

EDIT
All these devices of my signature are connected to the same audiophile DIY switch, and the CPL LAN access is also connected to it:

M1 Mac Minii3 NUC with GentooPlayer & Diretta Host → Sonore OpticalModule Deluxe II
yes but why not use Wifi to a wifi extenders with a Lan port?
I wouldn’t want my Ethernet traveling over house mains.

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #6,849 of 8,918
yes but why not use Wifi to a wifi extenders with a Lan port?
I wouldn’t want my Ethernet traveling over house mains.
Because I'm using this solution for longtime already. It's very robust, and existed as a good alternative to Ethernet wires at a time in which the WiFi extenders were not reliable enough, and were provoking dropouts from time to time.
The fact that the DATA travels through the mains does not degrade it.
If you do it right, you get an excellent LAN extension this way.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #6,850 of 8,918
I have some ethernet over powerline adaptors I used to use. Ceased using them in part because of concern re high frequency signals injected into the mains but mainly because they were quite slow in the mains wiring I tried them in.

Just did a Google re frequency of ethernet signal and came across this very interesting article... Incl good layman explanations of the role of square waves, harmonics, required frequency bandwidth spread etc. Most interesting to me was the spectral signal density chart at the bottom for a 100-BASE-TX network where the strongest signals were in the 0-40Mhz range, which is where most oscillators, whether internal or external, operate. Might help explain our systems' sensitivity to ethernet borne noise.

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/articles/tested-at-the-frequency.htm

100BaseTXKish.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #6,851 of 8,918
I have some ethernet over powerline adaptors I used to use. Ceased using them in part because of concern re high frequency signals injected into the mains but mainly because they were quite slow in the mains wiring I tried them in.
I don't have slow internet streaming issues.

Concerns about high frequencies are not relevant, because the CPL extender only serves to access the internet. For audio, it means to bring DATA from the streaming service.
This DATA passes through countless steps, and travels tens or even hundreds of kilometers from the servers of Qobuz to the computer. It's a binary DATA that arrives bit-perfect to its destination.

The path from the computer, that processes the sound and streams it to the endpoint, is entirely through Ethernet cables, and fiber. It does not pass through the CPL, the electrical grid or the router.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2023 at 4:32 AM Post #6,855 of 8,918
Is there a step-to-step guide for updating the firmware on mac? Can I just mount the unit and use balena etcher to flash the mounted drive? I would like to use the 1.4.2 with tidal FW that was nicely provided in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back