GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Feb 6, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #4,411 of 8,904
Sorry this is not true! You can use BubbleUPnP or Mconnect do send MQA files to R26 renderer with full resolution. On Tidal are tons of tracks that unfold to 96k and more.
Ah okay.
I didn't know that.
Since I have been using Tidal for quite a long time, including mobile, but more with the Tidal app than with mconnect, I assumed that Tidal had limited the output.
So it seems to be then also only with the Tidalapp, but not with other various players where Tidal support.
Thanks for the good advice.😉

Feb 6, 2023 at 10:54 AM Post #4,413 of 8,904
Off topic here - apologies. @Forgisound - How do you find the LHY SW5?
With that switch, the sound is more serious. Class above. I also note that I use Wireworld ethernet cables. I do not claim that everyone will have the same effect.

Feb 6, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #4,414 of 8,904
Ah okay.
I didn't know that.
Since I have been using Tidal for quite a long time, including mobile, but more with the Tidal app than with mconnect, I assumed that Tidal had limited the output.
So it seems to be then also only with the Tidalapp, but not with other various players where Tidal support.
Thanks for the good advice.😉
NP here :) I'm using Tidal connect too, but I have tested other options too, when I had R26 (unmodified) and it was not capable of Tidal connect.

Feb 6, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #4,415 of 8,904
Gustard is beta testing Tidal Connect right now, and will roll it into an update in tge near future.
One of the many issues I had with Bubble UPnP was as that at times it would send incorrect streaming data to the R26, for example I would be playing a track at 16/44.1 and the display might read dsd 768 or some other craziness. Even displayed MQA when I was listening to Qobuz. That sure freaked me out. I’m using JPlay now, it’s miles beyond Bubble or mconnect.

Feb 6, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #4,416 of 8,904
We should translate the entire original Chinese manual and sticky it here.
There might be other better explained areas.

Done! Link on first page.

Feb 6, 2023 at 2:30 PM Post #4,420 of 8,904
Excellent work - thankyou!
Mickey did a more complete work.
I encourage everyone to have a look at Mickey’s work on page 1, since the original Chinese manual has more pages (about 40% more) : there is definitely more info there, on various topics.
Thank you Mickey.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #4,422 of 8,904
Thanks god its over, i think at least 150 pages of these thread is ranting about DSD.

Boys, lets catfight now about the fact that optical is superior to i2S and LAN!

*joking*😂
I agree! Wait, does this mean DSD512 which was sounding great in my system yesterday will sound better or worse today…🤔

Also just jesting 😆

Top work @camrector for the OG investigations, @Davidv100 for your lateral thinking (you’ll have to get an R26 now I guess 😉) and @m-i-c-k-e-y for the full PDF, and first page updates.

What will we talk about now?

Feb 6, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #4,423 of 8,904
I agree! Wait, does this mean DSD512 which was sounding great in my system yesterday will sound better or worse today…🤔

Also just jesting 😆

Top work @camrector for the OG investigations, @Davidv100 for your lateral thinking (you’ll have to get an R26 now I guess 😉) and @m-i-c-k-e-y for the full PDF, and first page updates.

What will we talk about now?
The A26? I hear it does DSD better...

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2023 at 3:41 PM Post #4,424 of 8,904
@mgsu
Your idea with the Su6 and optical input is actually not stupid at all.
Since everything first goes through the Su6 before it goes to the R26.
This can have advantages that I hadn't thought about.
Advantages like noise and jitter would be eliminated as soon as they leave the Su6.

@m-i-c-k-e-y thanks for translating the manual.🙏

Feb 6, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #4,425 of 8,904
@mgsu
Your idea with the Su6 and optical input is actually not stupid at all.
Since everything first goes through the Su6 before it goes to the R26.
This can have advantages that I hadn't thought about.
Advantages like noise and jitter would be eliminated as soon as they leave the Su6.

@m-i-c-k-e-y thanks for translating the manual.🙏
Yeah, i used LAN and i2s before optical but after i watched a video from Rob Watts about the benefits of optical, i thought i give it a shot and what can i say, optical in my setup is better that LAN and i2s.
I must mention that my setup consists of:

SU-6 DDC -> optical -> R26
Roon Core -> sfp to optical -> SOTM sNH-10G
Internet Modem -> sfp to optical -> SOTM SNH-10G

LHY OCK 2-> Gustard C2 -> R26
LHY OCK 2 -> Gustard C2 -> SOTM sNH-10G

To summ up, all connections are full optical, from the internet modem into the SOTM switch and from DDC into the DAC, no copper wire at all besides the Gustard C2 50 Ohm BNC cables.

Optical into R26 makes a difference, it is not night and day but imo it is better than i2s and LAN.

Side note: i am doing only 2x oversampling because the mosfets of a R2R DAC can not keep up with the fast switching of a multitude of oversampling and can cause distortion.

16x oversampling has not benefits to me also from a logic standpoint. As an analogy imagine you have a picture with 48 pixels. By blowing the picture up to 768 pixels does not help with recognizing more details in the picture at all.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back