GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 30, 2022 at 12:10 AM Post #2,986 of 8,912
It seems that Output A is PS Audio standard and Output B is JAVS standard as far as the Rose Pin out. Neither are what Gustard uses, but it still might work.

I’m not familiar with the DVI plugs. Strange to see this being implemented. The LRCK pins being reversed may cause an issue. Also I don’t see any DSD support from the hifi Rose so that Pin 15 might be an issue too.
You can try the plug. You are not going to damage anything. You will just have some distortion/clicks/silence if it’s not compatible.
Thanks. Great input. I think my head hurts trying to figure this out. Lol.

Dec 30, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #2,988 of 8,912
Finally...

1672379014234.png

Anyways, thanks for all the helpful advice!

:)

Dec 30, 2022 at 2:41 AM Post #2,990 of 8,912
Ooohh whatcha think so far?
I definitely dig it. Preferring PCM so far but more listening will have to be done.
Fun times!
I will also say that HQPlayer ➕ Roon sounds better than Roon's built-in upsampling alone.
It's still early, but I might have to update my signature because I haven't really been using Foobar too much lately.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #2,991 of 8,912
Which port is being used for FW updates, the normal USB-B or the USB-C? The manual says USB-C but I get nothing on both, installed v5.50 USB driver too but the USBimager doesn't see any devices.

+
Found it, should be USB-C, had to try a different PC and it worked.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #2,992 of 8,912
Which port is being used for FW updates, the normal USB-B or the USB-C? The manual says USB-C but I get nothing on both, installed v5.50 USB driver too but the USBimager doesn't see any devices.
USB-C with the power turned off at the back of the R26, if you still can't get it to recognize the dac try a different usb port or cable or both

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #2,993 of 8,912
The R26 with firmware 1.4 receives its music stream over LAN from a NUC with Audiolinux V3 as the OS. The Roon core also runs on the NUC, as well as HQPlayer embedded. Roon over LAN works great with great sound. Also NAA on the R26 is recognized and works perfectly. I tried installing HQPlayer Desktop there and it also recognizes NAA on the R26.

What I haven't been able to do yet is to connect HQPlayer Desktop on a Windows 11 NUC to the R26 via NAA. HQPlayer Desktop on Windows does not see the R26 with NAA. No device is displayed for selection in the "Device" field. Has anyone had success connecting to R26 NAA and Windows?

Dec 30, 2022 at 10:27 AM Post #2,994 of 8,912
Do you think I would see any benefit connecting the hifi rose to the r26 with a i2s cable. On the hifi rose side the i2s is not standard. You can select either RJ45 to HDMI or DVI 24+1 to HDMI. Any benefit over the USB to USB connection I am using now?
I doubt any of these combinations will be better than USB. Personally I would invest in a good USB cable like DH Labs.

Dec 30, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #2,995 of 8,912
Thanks. Great input. I think my head hurts trying to figure this out. Lol.
Suggesting go to the FMC (Fiber Media Converter) tweak instead.

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:29 AM Post #2,997 of 8,912
I'm sure FMC works great. As long as you are aware that connecting the Gustard R26 via Lan is NOT the best sounding solution for this DAC. USB via DDC will always sound better than the LAN connection - I've tested this many times.
A lot of people here myself included will highly disagree with you.
We’ve tested this many times lol
DDC and USB have lost to LAN with FMC many many times over.
In a 200 page thread you are the only one really saying this 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #2,998 of 8,912
@markkpa
I agree, in my system, USB via DDC thru SPDIF gives marginal SQ advantage thru LAN(only) via ROON/UPnP BEFORE the FMC tweak.
With the tweak implaced made a different ballgame. If you have €200 to spare, try it. Add the OCK-1 you have too.

Please bear in mind you have a DDC in between your USB to optimize and w/ LAN still none.

My analogy is simple, w/out any tweaks w/c connection has the best SQ? Go that route...and enhance along the way.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #2,999 of 8,912
There are a lot of factors. How good is DDC? Are USB and LAN cables of equal quality? What kind of computer is it and what software is used? And ultimately, how does a particular sound fit into a HiFi system?

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:45 AM Post #3,000 of 8,912
A lot of people here myself included will highly disagree with you.
We’ve tested this many times lol
DDC and USB have lost to LAN with FMC many many times over.
In a 200 page thread you are the only one really saying this 🤷🏻‍♂️
My guess is that you have not optimized the USB/DDC setup; i.e. linear power supplies, common grounds, ethernet cables, usb cables, I2S HDMI cable, power cables, external clock, single-ended interconnects, the WIFI connection setup properly to isolate the router from system & more. Get rid of ALL power conditioners except perhaps an isolation transformer to keep Verizon Fios switched power supply from souring the milk on the network/MacBook linear power supplies. I'm way down this road...USB/DDC is the way to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back