GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 29, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #2,971 of 8,941
Once I receive my R26, I am considering adding HQPlayer to my setup. I have been researching how to configure and am unsure of the configuration needed.

My current set up is a networked Mac Mini M1 running Roon Core. Then I have an FMC connected to an opticalRendu which is connected to my Denafrips Ares II via USB.

The opticalRendu and Denafrips will be on the sideline after I receive the R26. I will use the LAN input on the R26 fed by a new FMC.

I know that HQPlayer needs to be installed on the Mac Mini but I also see that there is a HQPlayer endpoint (NAA) required to run HQPlayer. The opticalRendu was my Roon endpoint and will no longer be in the mix. Where do I install the NAA .img file? Does it get installed on the R26?

Thanks for the help.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #2,972 of 8,941
R26 support NAA.

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #2,973 of 8,941
@duffer5 Simply because your Hfi Rose has a much more powerful chip as streamer. Was a bit worried first since it will be connected by another cable, versus internal of trhe R26. Well good for you then!

Dec 29, 2022 at 3:46 PM Post #2,974 of 8,941
@duffer5 Simply because your Hfi Rose has a much more powerful chip as streamer. Was a bit worried first since it will be connected by another cable, versus internal of trhe R26. Well good for you then!
Do you think I would see any benefit connecting the hifi rose to the r26 with a i2s cable. On the hifi rose side the i2s is not standard. You can select either RJ45 to HDMI or DVI 24+1 to HDMI. Any benefit over the USB to USB connection I am using now?

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #2,975 of 8,941
It would be difficult mate, unless there is an option in your Hifi Rose for a Gustard I2S standard. However looking at the back of your unit (as you said) uncommon standard RJ45 and DVI?? (will it work with a DVI to HDMI?)

IME, I2S is always a better option than USB if its possible. Benefit, as i understand is that it carries extra clock data (and more).

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #2,976 of 8,941
Do you think I would see any benefit connecting the hifi rose to the r26 with a i2s cable. On the hifi rose side the i2s is not standard. You can select either RJ45 to HDMI or DVI 24+1 to HDMI. Any benefit over the USB to USB connection I am using now?
There’s a good chance usb can be noisy and the unit cleaned up via the HDMI but that could be challenging per @m-i-c-k-e-y post. you could try the optical ports on the rs150 and Gustard as a start and see if you hear anything. Optical or spdif will often trump usb on some units

Dec 29, 2022 at 4:23 PM Post #2,978 of 8,941
It would be difficult mate, unless there is an option in your Hifi Rose for a Gustard I2S standard. However looking at the back of your unit (as you said) uncommon standard RJ45 and DVI?? (will it work with a DVI to HDMI?)

IME, I2S is always a better option than USB if its possible. Benefit, as i understand is that it carries extra clock data (and more).
Thank you once again for the detailed reply. Please see the attached photo. 150b does have 2 i2s modes. Would either work for the R26.
This is the cable I was thinking about getting (see link and pic)

https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-S...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Attachments

• C04BB415-0E9A-4424-AA2E-A3B2623D1AC3.png
    C04BB415-0E9A-4424-AA2E-A3B2623D1AC3.png
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 6CB3CD08-3887-4A81-9DEE-A83B9DC1291A.png
    6CB3CD08-3887-4A81-9DEE-A83B9DC1291A.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Dec 29, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #2,979 of 8,941
So I did try the streamer inside of the R26 and maybe I am experiencing confirmation bias but the Hifi Rose being used strictly as a streamer feeding the R26 via USB sound better to my ears. Not sure, how or why that is the case.
You might need a bit more time to listen. It’s easy to train your brain to become accustomed to a certain sound. Then when it changes quickly we notice the difference and can perceive it as “off” or “bad” when in actuality it’s our brain that’s off.
Happened to me when I started using Room correction filters.
The corrected bass made the highs less pronounced. I wasn’t use to balance. Took a few days to adjust, then OMG!
Or it could be as Mickey has said too.
In any event your system will benefit from Fiber Media Converters.

Would either work for the R26.
No. Neither are the correct pin out.
This is what you need. Unless you can manually change the pin out on the 150b, a custom cable, or a Gustard DDC is what you need.

Attachments

• B2068D74-83C9-446C-928D-2E24E12383B1.png
    B2068D74-83C9-446C-928D-2E24E12383B1.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #2,980 of 8,941
Cam, beat me to it. What he said bro...

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #2,981 of 8,941
Cam, beat me to it. What he said bro...
You might need a bit more time to listen. It’s easy to train your brain to become accustomed to a certain sound. Then when it changes quickly we notice the difference and can perceive it as “off” or “bad” when in actuality it’s our brain that’s off.
The corrected bass made the highs less pronounced. I wasn’t use to balance. Took a few days to adjust, then OMG!

This is what you need. Unless you can manually change the pin out on the 150b, a custom cable, or a Gustard DDC is what you need.
Thank you gents. Bummer. So would I get the same benefit going with the Gustard DDC as I would going direct i2s from the Rose 150b to the Gustard R26. Thank again for answering all my newbie questions.

Dec 29, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #2,982 of 8,941
Thank you gents. Bummer. So would I get the same benefit going with the Gustard DDC as I would going direct i2s from the Rose 150b to the Gustard R26. Thank again for answering all my newbie questions.
My feeling is that if you can go direct, GO Direct.
DDCs are expensive, and going direct gives you the same benefit as a DDC.
Before the R26, I had the Pontus 2 and the Silent Angel Munich M1T streamer for that exact reason. The M1T made a DDC obsolete. The R26 made the Pontus 2 and the M1T obsolete lol.
I’d look into a custom cable first.

Dec 29, 2022 at 10:25 PM Post #2,983 of 8,941
After further listening and extensive testing, it's time to revise my experience & opinion. 1) the R26 continues to sound better and better with extensive break-in (a month). 2) The external 10Mhz clock does improve resolution, however at the expense of musicality. I'm happier with the music without an external clock. I was using genuine Gustard cables but with a less expensive LHY clock. 3) I'm getting better music using a high quality SPDIF (rca) cable compared to the I2S which sounds very good but slightly flat in comparison. 4) I get the best results using the U18/SPDIF combination compared to LAN which has slightly more glare and the background isn't quite as black. The LAN sounds very good, just not quite as good. I do have a highly revealing system, high quality speakers, class-a amp & fantastic preamp for what its worth...
UPDATE: I'm now using NOS OFF mode for slightly better clarity (fixed volume). And, I've reintroduced the OCK-1 external master clock (Square Wave) connected directly to the R26 (no external clock connection to U18). And, I've switched to Single Ended RCA interconnects on the output - I couldn't believe it sounded better than balanced; at least with my preamp. Best sound so far - using 1.4 firmware. Let me know if anyone has found a better configuration.

Dec 29, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #2,984 of 8,941

Okay, so I have done more digging and way too much time to figure out the scheme for converting DVI to HDMI. Not nearly as straight forward as one would think. See attached spreadsheet to see the alignment of DVI pins to HDMI pins under two schemes (HDMI A and HDMI B). It appears that Gustard is using type B with a few notable exceptions, HDMI Pin 25 and Pin 26 don't appear to be labeled in the Gustard schematic of the HDMI port and LRCK+/- appear to be reversed for the ROSE output but everything aligns from the ROSE (Output B) to the Gustard HDMI. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 10.42.58 PM.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-29 at 10.42.58 PM.png
    352.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 29, 2022 at 11:58 PM Post #2,985 of 8,941
Okay, so I have done more digging and way too much time to figure out the scheme for converting DVI to HDMI. Not nearly as straight forward as one would think. See attached spreadsheet to see the alignment of DVI pins to HDMI pins under two schemes (HDMI A and HDMI B). It appears that Gustard is using type B with a few notable exceptions, HDMI Pin 25 and Pin 26 don't appear to be labeled in the Gustard schematic of the HDMI port and LRCK+/- appear to be reversed for the ROSE output but everything aligns from the ROSE (Output B) to the Gustard HDMI. Any thoughts?
It seems that Output A is PS Audio standard and Output B is JAVS standard as far as the Rose Pin out. Neither are what Gustard uses, but it still might work.

I’m not familiar with the DVI plugs. Strange to see this being implemented. The LRCK pins being reversed may cause an issue. Also I don’t see any DSD support from the hifi Rose so that Pin 15 might be an issue too.
You can try the plug. You are not going to damage anything. You will just have some distortion/clicks/silence if it’s not compatible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back