GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 9, 2022 at 6:15 AM Post #2,416 of 8,955
I think it more likely that would be as a result of the greater precision, lessened temporal blurring resulting in a purer transient signal being amplified and then recreated by your speaker drivers

Thats a smart explanation. Unfortunately, any DAC that processes 768KHz has a temporal response in the sub microsecond range, regardless of jitter effects from different clocks. So that explanation doesn't make sense.

Is there a way to use a meter of any sort to test what output volumes (or maybe voltages) the Gustard emits when different settings are used (e.g. the external clock)?

Louder volume differences dominate perceived sound improvements.

With decibel meters you can volume match but not to high accuracy.

If you have a very good multimeter, measure the DC Vout on the balanced XLR pins with a DC -6dBFS signal with the amps unplugged:

1670584682383.png

https://www.wavtones.com/functiongenerator.php

If there is any V change then Gustard have pulled off a VW inspired software hack. :)

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 6:37 AM Post #2,417 of 8,955
Thats a smart explanation. Unfortunately, any DAC that processes 768KHz has a temporal response in the sub microsecond range, regardless of jitter effects from different clocks. So that explanation doesn't make sense.

Louder volume differences dominate perceived sound improvements.

With decibel meters you can volume match but not to high accuracy.

If you have a very good multimeter, measure the DC Vout on the balanced XLR pins with a DC -6dBFS signal with the amps unplugged:

1670584682383.png

https://www.wavtones.com/functiongenerator.php

If there is any V change then Gustard have pulled off a VW inspired software hack. :)
Excellent - thanks. I do have a DMM as am just about to start a diy amp kit build project. I’ll see if I can’t take a look at measuring the Gustard with this tone test in next few days.

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #2,418 of 8,955
Hi guys, I got R26 for over 2 months. Wanna share my IMHO experiences for someone who need.
- I only listen streaming music (Tidal/Qobuz) by UPNP connect through Mconnect (ipad/iphone) with Lan input.
*** My chain:
- Uptone JS-2 —> Sonore OpticalModule Deluxe —> Uptone EtherRegen —> R26 —> Burson 3x GT —> Susvara/Utopia.
As I have mentioned before I only used streaming service, so I decided to skip music server and DDC to my chain for investing to network switch. I read and experienced about network settings by myself for year, so I will share with you which is best to invest. I will talk in short if you need more information pls gg them.

- First: POWER SUPPLY is most important to network setting. I suggest you try to use a linear power to your modem first(normally 5V to 12V depend on your Internet Service Provider). Let see if you hear a difference. If you dont have a linear power supply (LPS), you can try with power banking. I found a good one Talent cell on amazon with a range of DC voltage.

- Second: Optical (fiber) Isolation. This isolation will cut down noise from your Lan network. You need 2 Fiber media convertors(FMC) or 1 FMC and 1 switch (which is have SFP port). Rate some FMCs which I have tried Sonore OpticalModule (500$) > Startech FMC(120$) > Tp-link MC200 (20$). Some tips: choose a good pair of SFP module with single mode is the most important thing here and then LPS. There are 2 brand of SFP I suggest you to try Cisco (warm and smooth) and Finisar(detail, transparent).

- Third: Switch. - there are so many devices for audio on the market now. I suggest you find something have a good clock, fiber optical port, linear power supply inside. I have tried Buffalo GS-2016 (which is used as main board for Melco S100) and Uptone EtherRegen.
+ Uptone Etherregen(ER) is really great IMHO. With the other network devices you might need time to listen and A/B tto find out if there is any changes in sound, but not with ER. You will hear right away a clean, silent, and black background without LPS or optical isolation. If you listen to Jazz, vocal, this switch is definately made for you no need other devices.
* Sound: warm - smooth - detail - relax and emotion wound.
* Drawback: sound becomes slower, less impression, treble roll-off. Hard to find one on the market, but I heard out the new version will come out soon.
* ER has 10k mhz clock input. You can buy an external clock to improve the sound of both R26 and ER.

- Might share Lan cable and Clock experiment later if I have more time.

Thanks for reading

Dec 9, 2022 at 9:00 AM Post #2,419 of 8,955
Thank you for sharing. Just happened to experiment with with FMCs few pages back:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...ve-decoding-music-bridge.963630/post-17279910

Am very pleased on the sonic improvement I got. Trying to stop myself on jumping immediately for upgrades.
Will see what other things are instore. Waiting for the next revision Etherregen on what it will bring to the table.

There is this from Teradak w/c looks interesting: https://kamaudio.com/TeraDak-T-S211-media-converter

Will see..

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #2,420 of 8,955
Thank you for sharing. Just happened to experiment with with FMCs few pages back:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/gus...ve-decoding-music-bridge.963630/post-17279910

Am very pleased on the sonic improvement I got. Trying to stop myself on jumping immediately for upgrades.
Will see what other things are in store. Waiting for the next revision Etherregen on what it will bring to the table.

There is this from Teradak w/c looks interesting: https://kamaudio.com/TeraDak-T-S211-media-converter

Will see..

I’m in the same boat as you. Exploring network upgrade paths, but not hurried to pull any triggers.
Not sure any benefits would really result or be noticed.
I’m very happy with my $100 linear powered single mode fiber convertors.

Dec 9, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #2,421 of 8,955
This combo has brought out the bass / low end on my HD800S i didn't think was possible. I've never experienced this type of sound coming from this headphone. Not sure which is contributing more to that R26 or GT, but I'm very much enjoying a new perspective out of the HD800S. I also just received Denafrips BIC500 to include in my audio chain. Back to burning in the gear :)
I have been using the Burson 3x Composer/Soloist as my desktop headphone setup. I am thinking about replacing the Composer with the R26. Any opinions?

Dec 9, 2022 at 2:21 PM Post #2,422 of 8,955
I see that Firmware version 1.4 has come out and I just got my unit. Its the original firmware based on the startup check. Ive been trying to update the firmware but have been having issues. I turn off the power at the back, like it says in the instructions and I plug in the USB C cable into my PC and the R26, but the PC does not find the R26. There is nothing in the dropdown to update. Would anyone be able to assist?

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #2,423 of 8,955
I have been using the Burson 3x Composer/Soloist as my desktop headphone setup. I am thinking about replacing the Composer with the R26. Any opinions?
My first "real" dac was the Composer 3XP as well. And I still use the Soloist 3XP. I moved from the Burson Composer 3XP to the Denafrips Terminator II and there was no comparison IMO. The Terminator II was much more of everything, to put it lightly. More dense, deep, heavy, powerful, liquid, smooth, more musical than the Composer 3XP, to use some of my own words. Then I moved "down" to the Gustard R26, and I would say it's in the same class as the Terminator II. The two dacs, the R26 & Terminator II, have their own sound signature, but both very similar. I wouldn't say the R26 is better than the Terminator II, as I preferred the later, but they are very close (maybe 85-95% similar). All that to say I believe you will find the R26 to be a nice "upgrade" over the Burson Composer 3XP. Everyone has their own preference though. But for me I prefer the R26 over the Composer 3XP. I did keep the Burson Soloist 3XP as my headphone amp though, with the supercharger, to power my ZMF Verite Opens.

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #2,424 of 8,955
I see that Firmware version 1.4 has come out and I just got my unit. Its the original firmware based on the startup check. Ive been trying to update the firmware but have been having issues. I turn off the power at the back, like it says in the instructions and I plug in the USB C cable into my PC and the R26, but the PC does not find the R26. There is nothing in the dropdown to update. Would anyone be able to assist?
So, try a different cable first. Then try having the unit on standby when you plug the usb-c in / then turn off on back / run the driver installer and keep this window open / run the firmware updater. This is how I got the USB to show up on the drop down list. Keep experimenting with those steps. Then the firmware thing will run for a bit, but you won't see the green bar...when it stalls for a second like this turn on the back power switch - green bar runs. It was really finicky for me at first.

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:33 PM Post #2,425 of 8,955
So, try a different cable first. Then try having the unit on standby when you plug the usb-c in / then turn off on back / run the driver installer and keep this window open / run the firmware updater. This is how I got the USB to show up on the drop down list. Keep experimenting with those steps. Then the firmware thing will run for a bit, but you won't see the green bar...when it stalls for a second like this turn on the back power switch - green bar runs. It was really finicky for me at first.
I tried a different computer and I got it to find the USB drop down, i wrote the file. Closed the app once done and restarted the r26, but no update was done. What is supposed to happen?

Dec 9, 2022 at 3:52 PM Post #2,426 of 8,955
I wouldn't say the R26 is better than the Terminator II, as I preferred the later, but they are very close (maybe 85-95% similar).

Thanks for your great review of the R26 vs the Terminator II. I can see why you preferred the Termie. In the high-end game, even just a 5% improvement is a very significant step up in the realm of ever diminishing returns.

Dec 9, 2022 at 4:36 PM Post #2,427 of 8,955
I tried a different computer and I got it to find the USB drop down, i wrote the file. Closed the app once done and restarted the r26, but no update was done. What is supposed to happen?
When you restart the R26 you can check the firmware version by holding the inner circle on the right. The button inside the dial - push it to the right and hold that along with the standby button when you power up. If it doesn't say the same date as the one you were installing...it didn't install. Make sure you do that step where you power the DAC on in the middle of the update. If you don't see the green progress bar it hasn't installed.

Dec 9, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #2,428 of 8,955
When you restart the R26 you can check the firmware version by holding the inner circle on the right. The button inside the dial - push it to the right and hold that along with the standby button when you power up. If it doesn't say the same date as the one you were installing...it didn't install. Make sure you do that step where you power the DAC on in the middle of the update. If you don't see the green progress bar it hasn't installed.
So I turn on the DAC while its flashing or after the flash is done with the USB C still plugged in? The instructions are not clear, they say disconnect the USB cable after the flash and turn it on.

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #2,429 of 8,955
So I turn on the DAC while its flashing or after the flash is done with the USB C still plugged in? The instructions are not clear, they say disconnect the USB cable after the flash and turn it on.
You can turn the R26 on any time after the flash is complete, ie after you've unplugged, as if all you were going to do is turn it on and listen to some tunes, with the addition of holding the selector button down at the same time as Alenotta said. The FW date will show on the screen.

Dec 9, 2022 at 8:29 PM Post #2,430 of 8,955
Oh no... Amazon sent me the wrong fiber optic cable! I ordered an LC to LC cable and they sent an SC to SC. Doh!
Guess the fiber experiment will have to wait until next week at the earliest. Kinda disappointed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back