GUSTARD DAC-R26 Balanced Decoder R2R+1Bit Dual Native Decoding Music Bridge
Dec 1, 2022 at 11:35 PM Post #2,161 of 8,912
Hard to imagine why the bloke is single haha!
But what he's doing with power supplies is correct from what I've read (there was a great article by Tom Gibbs posted by Camrector a couple weeks ago, good read). Right now I have a wall wart on the sending end and the Jameco LPS on the receiving end, but I do have an LHY LPS on order so when it arrives I'll send the Jameco to the dirty end.
Heck yes! I’m glad it worked out for you!
I’m shocked myself by this tweak. Everything just sounds more present, clear and powerful. I have my FMCs hooked to a dual output LPS and my network switch, to a single. So with those added this became a $200 tweak that is 100% worth it.

Thanks so much for all the details about all the necessary component; the distance between my router and my Hifi system is only 4 meters and I was wondering if optical would make a difference over this distance?
Yes it would. Mine is only a meter.
Converting to the fiber completely eliminates any electrical noise from the signal path.
I’ll repost the article. Even though it’s by PS Audio they aren’t selling anything here.
https://www.psaudio.com/copper/arti...th-a-gigabit-ethernet-media-converter-system/

Dec 1, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #2,162 of 8,912
Thanks so much for all the details about all the necessary component; the distance between my router and my Hifi system is only 4 meters and I was wondering if optical would make a difference over this distance?
I don't know, I'm not an expert, but the thing about optical is that 1 meter and 30 meters is the same. I think the noise isn't really from the ethernet cable, long or short, but entering the system from the router backward. If you think about it, there's a whole lot of stuff going on before the signal even gets out of the router. The fiber just does a quickie on all of it, like someone suddenly changing languages at dinner so you can't hear what they're saying about you :gs1000smile:

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #2,163 of 8,912
Here's the cable: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F1D6LKN/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here's the modules (need 2): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CFATYM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
And here's the converter (need 2): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CFATL0?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Besides the above components, you'll need two short-as-possible ethernet tails, I made mine up with stuff on hand. The whole process took 30 minutes, only because I had to route the fiber through the basement and back up, and because I'm a bit of a spazz.

EDIT: One more thing, if you want to replace the crap SMPS that come with the converters, here's a link to 9v Jameco LPS that's cheap as hell and gets a lot of recommendations: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N17N8FP?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

As what the others have said...Thank you! Will have this a go...
Will report back with the experimentations. Well Sonore popularized this way back, so...

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #2,164 of 8,912
I am a little sceptical of optical fiber.

I dont understand using dual/multimode(sonore, uptone) when single mode has better performance(specs)

I will have to test again, but for me it rolled of the treble and made it much smoother, in “foggy” way. Maybe its the cable or quality of the setup.

Dec 2, 2022 at 2:10 AM Post #2,165 of 8,912
I am a little sceptical of optical fiber.

I dont understand using dual/multimode(sonore, uptone) when single mode has better performance(specs)

I will have to test again, but for me it rolled of the treble and made it much smoother, in “foggy” way. Maybe its the cable or quality of the setup.
I use single mode fiber. I read that it was overkill so I said that’s the way to go! Lol

Dec 2, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #2,167 of 8,912
I don't know, I'm not an expert, but the thing about optical is that 1 meter and 30 meters is the same. I think the noise isn't really from the ethernet cable, long or short, but entering the system from the router backward. If you think about it, there's a whole lot of stuff going on before the signal even gets out of the router. The fiber just does a quickie on all of it, like someone suddenly changing languages at dinner so you can't hear what they're saying about you :gs1000smile:
Sure noise can‘t ride along fibre optic cable that’s just one source of signal degradation getting rid of those long runs of copper antenna noise pathways to your components will pay off in sonic dividends . Streaming in our area was so bad and unreliable sound quality was terrible, I used a vintage receiver in my office for FM broad cast ,though fibre optic is now available to us hicks ,,.

Your right generally many have no idea how much noise there is in their system until you start eliminating it streaming is only one of many source’s of degradation of sound quality another glaring example of big sound degradation is going from a laptop to a purpose built server is truly eye opening to the amount of noise there is .

Dec 2, 2022 at 7:04 AM Post #2,169 of 8,912
Please publish the noise measurements. I assume you are familiar with the term common mode rejection?
You still using a lap top ?

Dec 2, 2022 at 9:08 AM Post #2,171 of 8,912
Can't see how that is relevant...
Well it’s easy to borrow a purpose built server streamer to directly compare a lap top with , the listening experience will tell you . I’m sure when you shopped for a turntable it was the actual listening experience over glossing over a spec sheet . I know what your Linn Ittock sounds like , the play back of the Linn turntable is profoundly engaging so different from digital. i read about Ivors background that battle of design for him was reducing mechanical noise mostly . The like‘s of MSB , Playback design including other brands have adopted their own proprietary fibre optic input and outputs , noise can’t ride on light any type of noise including jitter , sure cable network providers switched fibre optics for a number of reasons one being increased speed there are a load of other benefits for them and us the consumer.
Anyway try something different from using your lap top that would be the first big step , you don’t need to thank me .

Edit I know of a couple guys that use cd transports only over streaming they are perfectly happy with the listening experience, Jussy inventer of HQplayer uses a SACD transport HQ reads off the signal directly, what is it do they find that’s better then streaming their music .

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #2,172 of 8,912
Optical fiber in the digital domain acting as a low pass filter in the analogue domain. Interesting.
Funny how science works huh?

Sure noise can‘t ride along fibre optic cable that’s just one source of signal degradation getting rid of those long runs of copper antenna noise pathways to your components will pay off in sonic dividends . Streaming in our area was so bad and unreliable sound quality was terrible, I used a vintage receiver in my office for FM broad cast ,though fibre optic is now available to us hicks ,,.

Your right generally many have no idea how much noise there is in their system until you start eliminating it streaming is only one of many source’s of degradation of sound quality another glaring example of big sound degradation is going from a laptop to a purpose built server is truly eye opening to the amount of noise there is .
In my situation I am forced to use a Wifi extendener, because my apartment has shared wifi and I do not have access to the router.
My city also doesn’t have fiber internet yet either. Just cable.
So I use two Wifi extenders. One covers my apartment and all the devices I have, the other is just for my audio system with the extender function turned off and just the LAN port supplying Ethernet to my Switch.
It’s a 20in cat8 cable ran from the extender to the switch, a 20in cat8 cable from Switch to the 1st fiber media convertor (FBM) 1 meter of Single mode fiber to 2nd FBM, then 20in cat8 cable to R26.
Switch and FBMs have linear power supplies, all plugged into a Puritan 156.
I’m loving this solution.
1. Whatever noise is on the dirty internet coming into my apartment is eliminated first over Wifi then stripped clean again by the Fiber. My R26 only sees 20in of high quality cat8 copper, coming from a clean linear powered FBM.
2. My extender is plugged directly into the wall and the fiber completely shields the R26 from any surges or lightening that could hit and come across copper Ethernet cables.
All for $100

Dec 2, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #2,173 of 8,912
The main focus of good audio quality, is being able to hear it from a fair objective perception. Placebo may interfere, and thats ok and fine. If I tell you guys that I hear the improvement, it does not matter what everybody else thinks. However I also think that its totally fine to be critical against the opinion. As long as we keep it to the main intention, enjoying good music, breaking the limits of the sound in the setup/chain.

Cheers!

Dec 2, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #2,175 of 8,912
Why on earth would I stream music from a laptop? Over USB? :D First a cable in the digital domain acting as a low pass filter in the analogue domain and now jitter on TCP/IP. Wow.
Do you have measurements to back that up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back