Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2023 at 11:12 AM Post #332 of 996
Does anyone know how to stream from tidal running on a windows 11 PC to the A26 via ethernet?
Dimitri,
You may want to have a look at the R26 thread.
It seems there is an ongoing test phase with Gustard for native Tidal streaming.
So you should soon be able to see your R26/A26 as a Tidal Connect end-point (Direct streaming).
(when the appropriate firmware update is available).

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #334 of 996
I have a kind of global question :
At the end of the day, are the A26 owners happy with their purchase ?
What are your negative points, if any ?

Thank you
Thanks for the above, will definitely check the R26 thread out.

I'm very happy with my unit so far as the build quality is top notch, internal components and layout is very well thought out and the sound of the DAC is exactly what I would have hoped it to be.

The only negative points I have found so far with my unit is the fact that touch panel is made of plastic and not glass so it is prone to scratches in the long run and given that the display is OLED, it could burn in in the future but only time will tell.

Also, the plastic remote control looks and feels very cheap for a 1,500$ unit and that would have been a deal breaker for me if I weren't using it on my desktop but other than that this is a really nice DAC for the money.

Feb 12, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #335 of 996
Does anyone know how to stream from tidal running on a windows 11 PC to the A26 via ethernet?
This could be a dumb question but I'll risk it. Since I already have the C18 clock and U18 DDC, these would be connected to the A26 once I get one. Obviously the DDC becomes irrelevant at that point but shouldn't the C18 (connected directly to the A26 with BNC cable) still work as well as it normally would? I'd still keep the U18 I think for the rare times I'd listen to different sources over USB

Feb 12, 2023 at 1:04 PM Post #336 of 996

I'm very happy with my unit so far as the build quality is top notch, internal components and layout is very well thought out and the sound of the DAC is exactly what I would have hoped it to be.

The only negative points I have found so far with my unit is the fact that touch panel is made of plastic and not glass so it is prone to scratches in the long run and given that the display is OLED, it could burn in in the future but only time will tell.

Also, the plastic remote control looks and feels very cheap for a 1,500$ unit and that would have been a deal breaker for me if I weren't using it on my desktop but other than that this is a really nice DAC for the money.
Yes, I hate that remote control too. If someone can afford a good preamp (or is using an integrated amp or any amp with volume control) it makes sense to run the dac with fixed output, then the remote becomes irrelevant because you use the remote of the other device. At least in my case with the A22 it sounds better anyway than using it's built-in preamp function

Feb 12, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #337 of 996
This could be a dumb question but I'll risk it. Since I already have the C18 clock and U18 DDC, these would be connected to the A26 once I get one. Obviously the DDC becomes irrelevant at that point but shouldn't the C18 (connected directly to the A26 with BNC cable) still work as well as it normally would? I'd still keep the U18 I think for the rare times I'd listen to different sources over USB
FWIW, I have read that the USB input of both A26/R26 is not their strongest point.
The best being LAN, then I2S, then significantly lower is USB, then lower again are both Coax/Optical.
(according to Sandu/Soundnews review)
I mean, your U18 DDC seems relevant for USB fo I2S conversion.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #338 of 996

It is a few pages back though… Start searching from 280 down to 300+
There is also the ID of someone in the beta program, so you could PM him.
I think you might even easily join the beta testing program.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #339 of 996
I have a kind of global question :
At the end of the day, are the A26 owners happy with their purchase ?
What are your negative points, if any ?

Thank you
I explain why I am asking this basic question.
- I am surprised by the lack of reviews (Only Soundnews and Tharbamar have produced one so far)
- Is this because A26 is nothing to write home about ?
- Or because all the hype is about R2R ladders (I am also hesitating between R26 and A26).
- Or because it is too soon (but that would be strange, better to talk about it went it is hot, I guess).

Feb 12, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #341 of 996
FWIW, I have read that the USB input of both A26/R26 is not their strongest point.
The best being LAN, then I2S, then significantly lower is USB, then lower again are both Coax/Optical.
(according to Sandu/Soundnews review)
I mean, your U18 DDC seems relevant for USB fo I2S conversion.
Still I am glad that the I2S input is there as here
source > USB > Di20HE > I2S > A26
sounds clearly better than
LAN > A26

Feb 12, 2023 at 5:11 PM Post #345 of 996
. And the Holo spring 3 is a little better than the r26
What level did you use?
to add something to the discussion; have been silently following this thread since Sandu's youtube review (SoundNews) - one notch below Chord Dave? Really?
So should be an uppgrade over Hugo2 /qutest hehe?

But i also read peoples opinion that he preferred Hugo2 or qutest over holo spring 3 level 2 or 3. And kmustang88 preferred spring 3 over R26, A26.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back