Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Jan 24, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #181 of 996
To be clear imaging and details are great, on par with anything ive connected to my system,
1. so I ordered mine on Amazon right after watching a review, i had thirty days
2. I left the power on and played music on my ipad when i went to work to help break it in
3. I did try multiple settings, I personally liked monitoring and sharp roll off…
4. I tried two sets of speakers …
5. R26 does arrive tomorrow lol just for fun dont plan on keeping it.

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #184 of 996
Definitely could be system matching issue for sure
Did you say you're listening on speakers? I think if you compare it to your other dacs using headphones it takes out several variables. The speakers themselves, speaker cables, speaker placement, toe in, room acoustics, etc. Synergy between components as we know is an elusive journey, but when you get it right it's really worth it. In my stereo room over the last few months I've gone from someone that listens a few times a month to several times a week

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #185 of 996
Ok fellas…. Im returning my A26….at first I was very impressed… seemed impossible that this 1500$ dac was this good, i still think its worth 1500, but not over 2k….. i just found it to be fatiguing compared with my other dacs

I heard someone else say that, however my experience is very different. Here it is admittedly ultra revealing, however it remains silky, analogue and very easy on these ears (that are usually very sensitive to digititus). Of course I went to great lengths to optimize the source with Mutec clock, fiber, Diretta protocol, DI20HE, power filtering, ground boxes etc. I no longer need a veil to hide anything. As a DAC the A26 is the clearest window I have had so far.

Jan 24, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #186 of 996
I heard someone else say that, however my experience is very different. Here it is admittedly ultra revealing, however it remains silky, analogue and very easy on these ears (that are usually very sensitive to digititus). Of course I went to great lengths to optimize the source with Mutec clock, fiber, Diretta protocol, DI20HE, power filtering, ground boxes etc. I no longer need a veil to hide anything. As a DAC the A26 is the clearest window I have had so far.

Good bit of perspective, and awesome to hear you're very satisfied with it so far. Now just to solve the riddle of how to feed DSD via your DI-20HE eh?

One of commonalities of Gustard's three *26 DACs (the X, R & A) seems to be how well its K2 clock synthesiser responds to quality external clocking and so lets its DACs scale up, especially when supplied a very clean input signal. I've certainly been impressed with how my R26 has scaled (including losing a few rough edges, gaining greater attack, resolution and richness) with enhancements to my system that are along similar lines to, if more modest than, yours.

I can imagine the dynamic range and level of silky resolution you'll be getting out of the AK4499EX with your Mutec and setup must be something else.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #187 of 996
Good bit of perspective, and awesome to hear you're very satisfied with it so far. Now just to solve the riddle of how to feed DSD via your DI-20HE eh?

One of commonalities of Gustard's three *26 DACs (the X, R & A) seems to be how well its K2 clock synthesiser responds to quality external clocking and so lets its DACs scale up, especially when supplied a very clean input signal. I've certainly been impressed with how my R26 has scaled (including losing a few rough edges, gaining greater attack, resolution and richness) with enhancements to my system that are along similar lines to, if more modest than, yours.

I can imagine the dynamic range and level of silky resolution you'll be getting out of the AK4499EX with your Mutec and setup must be something else.

Actually I am surprised that for the first time in many years I am not craving DSD after listening to PCM. The A26 does PCM so well, with the same pristine aristocracy that I used to associate with DSD only.

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #190 of 996
Sorry, are you using balanced connection between Gustard dacs and ican pro signature?
I want to know if there is any problem between them due to the 5V output of the Gustard dacs vs the normal 4V Of other dacs.

Thank you
Yes I use balanced connection with the Gustard X26pro and the ifi iCan signature, no problems at all.

Jan 24, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #191 of 996

Users who are viewing this thread

Back