Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Jan 22, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #166 of 1,034
So far they haven't done pro version of their R2R version to my knowledge :)
I am enjoying my new HiFiMAN EF400 R2R DAC/amp. It does not have any "dark" attributes at all. Amazing detail.

It is designed for the HiFiMAN "hard-to-drive" headphones.
My phones are more sensitive, so I have ordered an ieMatch4.4 to deal with the excessive gain.

My intro to R2R was the Cayin RU6.
To my older ears these R2R DACs sound is just right (as Goldilocks would say).

Jan 22, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #167 of 1,034
I am enjoying my new HiFiMAN EF400 R2R DAC/amp. It does not have any "dark" attributes at all. Amazing detail.

It is designed for the HiFiMAN "hard-to-drive" headphones.
My phones are more sensitive, so I have ordered an ieMatch4.4 to deal with the excessive gain.

My intro to R2R was the Cayin RU6.
To my older ears these R2R sound is just right (as Goldilocks would say).
EF400 will end up disappointing you, especially if you try it with an external amp, sadly. It's.... very limited.

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:13 AM Post #170 of 1,034
EF400 will end up disappointing you, especially if you try it with an external amp, sadly. It's.... very limited.
What was your experience that led you to this conclusion?

Jan 23, 2023 at 1:37 AM Post #171 of 1,034
Are these Gustard R26 and A26 an noticeably improvement over qutest/Hugo2 dac in your opinion?

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:02 AM Post #176 of 1,034
Ok fellas…. Im returning my A26….at first I was very impressed… seemed impossible that this 1500$ dac was this good, i still think its worth 1500, but not over 2k….. i just found it to be fatiguing compared with my other dacs
I have the r26 not the a26 but what input are you on? The R26 via ddC or lan direct is v v good. I personally am using some fmc on Lpsu to deliver a good isolated signal to the lan input of the r26 and it’s great. It’s possible with some good management of your upstream source you may be able to tame the fatigue (if it’s connected with noise / jitter on your line).

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:05 AM Post #177 of 1,034
Ok fellas…. Im returning my A26….at first I was very impressed… seemed impossible that this 1500$ dac was this good, i still think its worth 1500, but not over 2k….. i just found it to be fatiguing compared with my other dacs
Make sure you try different filter options before you move on. The default one is terrible. I use low-dispersion.

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #178 of 1,034
Obviously you know what you like and have experience with other terrific dacs. I am curious however did you leave it powered on the whole time you had it? I have some components that take a week or more to really hit full stride. If it were me I would keep using it through the duration of the return window and return it towards the end of it after more time is on it. But that's just me, there's no right or wrong philosophy on that

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:10 AM Post #179 of 1,034
Make sure you try different filter options before you move on. The default one is terrible. I use low-dispersion.
Absolutely, I forgot to mention that. Although I think I did earlier on this thread. Absolute game changer with the A22. Night and day for me. It's called LOW-d Shot on the display of the A22 but I'm convinced it's the same thing

Jan 24, 2023 at 1:17 AM Post #180 of 1,034
Absolutely, I forgot to mention that. Although I think I did earlier on this thread. Absolute game changer with the A22. Night and day for me. It's called LOW-d Shot on the display of the A22 but I'm convinced it's the same thing
Pretty sure its the same filter, since the A22 uses AK4499EQ and the A26 uses AK4499EX. With EX the digital stage of the EQ model was moved into a new independent chip called AK4191EQ, which handles the filtering and d/s modulation before sending it along to the analog stage chip named AK4499EX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back