Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2023 at 7:25 AM Post #211 of 1,034
So I keep arguing on the same matter?
Look, I'm busy, and I have other things to do. I posted already all I had to say about this topic.
After trying with different DACs and other devices, I reached the conclusion that the USB implementation on the DI-20HE is not that great.
Order an iFi iGalvanic 3, and check it by yourself, just as I'm going to do with iDefender. Otherwise, you are just theorizing.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #213 of 1,034
Look, I'm busy, and I have other things to do. I posted already all I had to say about this topic.
After trying with different DACs and other devices, I reached the conclusion that the USB implementation on the DI-20HE is not that great.
Order an iFi iGalvanic 3, and check it by yourself, just as I'm going to do with iDefender. Otherwise, you are just theorizing.
I suggest you to search DI- 20 thread who else use iGalvanic with this DDC. I didn't see recently anyone except you. But you didn't ask a question, just presented your statement. It was mostly ignored, as who wants to dispute things with a guy who already knows everything?
:)

Jan 25, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #214 of 1,034
I did not expect it, but it does make a difference. More relaxed and open presentation.
Even iPurifier 3, which is an entry level device, improves the sound of the DI-20HE when it is connected to its USB port.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #216 of 1,034
Hello to all members of this forum.
I am new here after finding this very interesting thread about Gustard A26 (and R26).
Glad to be here.

I hope I will not post dumb questions, as I have been out of hi-fi for some time.
Indeed, a few years ago, I totally overdosed on audio-nerdiness and hi-end computer stuff.
But after a few years in rehab, I would like to rebuild my audio stack, while keeping it simple and not polishing it with premium snake oil.

So, in order to keep everything simple, I am now using Apple Music (hi-res lossless).
No Roon, no Audirvana...
I have also erased my collection of FLAC files which took me ages to build...
No more physical storage of any kind neither (no CD, DVD, SACD,...).
I do not want to play anymore with NAS, libraries, nor frenetically look for missing covers or the latest best recording of the same thing.

I would like to keep it that way (my idea is now to enjoy the music for real, not endlessly tuning the engine).
Only Apple Music, in lossless streaming as source.

My curated legacy/current audio stack is the following :

Apple iPad (Source) -> Lightning to USB -> PS AUDIO D-LINK III Cullen Mod IV (DAC) -> Plinius (Pre-Amp) -> Plinius (Amp) -> Martin Logan Summit (Electrostat Speakers).

To my tragic despair, I understood a few days ago that my old DAC is downsampling everything to 16/44, then upsampling to 16/96 and 16/192, because this is how it was designed by PS Audio, back in the days.

This is not acceptable anymore :) So I need a new DAC, obviously.

After this TLDR Introduction that I miserably failed to keep short enough, here comes finally my question to you Gents :

It is my understanding that :
- Apple Music is encoded in ALAC, which is Apple implementation of FLAC, thus PCM based (as opposed to DSD).
- Gustard R26 is a R2R architecture and R2R is natively built to handle PCM source files (otherwise it will first convert DSD to PCM)
- Gustard A26 is a DS architecture and DS is natively built to handle DSD source files (otherwise it will first convert PCM to DSD).

Does this mean that, since Apple Music (PCM) is my sole source, I should go for the Gustard R2R ?

- On one hand, I have the feeling that the lesser the sound is transformed, the better it is. So R26 should be my natural choice.
- On the other hand, reading all the comments here (and from some reviewers), I have the feeling that I might be preferring the sound of A26 (said to be more precise, with better imaging - even if A26 may sometimes seem less easy to the ear, as R26 is said to be more "rounder"). In that case I should consider A26.

So, in summary, for Apple Music as my sole source, which DAC should I choose : R26 or A26 ?
I hope my question is not too dumb.

Thank you very much (and sorry for the long post).

David, Belgium, W-Europe

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #218 of 1,034
Hey, it seems to me that everywhere I see reviews and comparisons of R2R vs DS it is shown that the former is more rounded (natural) while the latter is sharper (technical). In short.
Including treble? :)

The most natural sound gives NOS which implies R2R DAC. Natural sound is violent, but sharper? I wouldn't agree at all. It can be very fluid, depends how system is tuned up to avoid digital artefacts.

Jan 25, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #223 of 1,034
Would be nice if you could share your thoughts on how the R26 compares (when you receive it) to the A26 and HOLO.

I did not hear the R26 but had a few R2R DACs: Terminator, Pegasus, Spring 3 L2, AG R8HE. The latter and the A26 are my preferred DACs and it is probably no coincidence that both have a 10 MHz clock input. To me, both may be about the level of the Spring 3 without the clock input, but for me beat it when using that input.

It may sound strange, but in my setup I prefer a DAC that reveals digital artifacts (if any) -- not one that adds them, and not one that veils them. I can fully understand however that in some setups the latter is best. The R8HE -- although kinder for these artifacts than the A26 -- does it in such a wonderful and enticing way that I keep coming back to it. I like the luxury of two DACs.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #224 of 1,034
Apple iPad (Source) -> Lightning to USB -> PS AUDIO D-LINK III Cullen Mod IV (DAC) -> Plinius (Pre-Amp) -> Plinius (Amp) -> Martin Logan Summit (Electrostat Speakers).

So, in summary, for Apple Music as my sole source, which DAC should I choose : R26 or A26 ?
I hope my question is not too dumb.
Here's a review of the A26 and an in-depth comparison of the A and the R. https://soundnews.net/sources/dacs/gustard-a26-dac-review-can-it-get-any-better/

BTW I also have the D-Link III with the Cullen IV mod. Great DAC for the money! I bought the X26Pro to replace it. Huge difference. IMHO you won't go wrong with the either the R or the A. I think it comes down to personal preference with the respect to the subtle differences in sound between the two which are outlined in the review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back