Gustard Amplifiers and DACs
Aug 25, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #452 of 605

I can't speak for any Gustard products, nor have I ever done any direct comparisons. But there should be only one winner there, that's I2S; it's the only one that includes the clocking information.
Cable runs have to be kept very short (like < 30cm) though!

Optical has the worst rep (because it has another conversion process), but will give electrical isolation (from a 'noisy' pc).

So:

I2S
AES (balanced)
Coax (spdif)
optical (toslink)

...in that order.

I reread what he wrote, i have the answer i want :/
thanks anyway.

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:00 AM Post #454 of 605

I tried+failed to do the free registration on taobao.  The phone texting verification doesn't fly.
I emailed Tanly and name-dropped Stuartmc in the subject line.

$450 does indeed seem like a lot for a Chinese transport.  PUC2 (AES) is the same price.
But if I2S is the name of the game, and this unit will compete with a $1500 Hydra-Z + power module then I suppose the pricing is on par.

I'm following your lead Stuart.  I hope I don't spend much time on an HDMI cable hamster wheel.

I am using a Wireworld Ultraviolet 5.2, 0.3M HDMI for the i2S from a Tanly to an Audio-GD M7. 
Seems very well made, sounds great and since is old model I got a close out price a few months ago around 30 USD if I remember correctly.
Maybe I am lucky on the length and plug orientation, but I can stack the Tanly on top of the M7 with Herbie's isolation feet in between.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireworld-Ultraviolet-5-2-HDMI-to-HDMI-1080P-0-3M-10-2Gbps-transfer-rate-/360874031153?hash=item5405c4b831
Showing only 5 pcs. left...

Aug 26, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #455 of 605
ha I just ordered a used 1ft Silver Starlight 5-2 last night for $50.
I told the seller the cable would live out it's live doing I2S duty and he was like "what's that?"

I'll compare it to a 0.5m in-wall monoprice cable I have
I also have a 4m RedMere monoprice cable to try
And a friend is waiting on some fancy cables he ordered

I'll post our results with a U12+X12

$5 skinny 1.5ft 
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024014&p_id=11558&seq=1&format=2

$5 flat 3ft
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024012&p_id=4157&seq=1&format=2

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #456 of 605
Hello all you swabbies out there!

I've been lurking through this thread and the H10 thread for the last few days trying to learn as much as I could to make an informed decision on what amp and DAC I should buy. Which was no small task considering I know absolutely nothing about audio. That's right a brand new gleaming noob to this rather convoluted and subjective world.

I can proudly say that I have jumped aboard the S.S. Gustard with both feet firmly planted. One foot resides in the H10, the other in the X20U all paired up with the Audeze LCD-X. I believe there was something said in the H10 thread about buying big up front and being happy in the long term, so I took it to heart.

First I just want say thank you to all of you swabbies out there that have been keeping this thread running strong and disseminating useful, clear, and pertinent information so  that even a newbie like me could benefit from all the ground of you noble guinea pigs have done
beerchug.gif

I would also like to thank our captain stuartmc for your integral role in making these difficult decisions manageable. Your detailed and tangible reviews of products side by side were a god sent and a damn sight fun to read to boot! 

That's about it for now. I will keep you guys updated as things arrive. Be prepared for a ton of questions. And again thank you all so very much! 
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2015 at 6:05 PM Post #457 of 605
For me Stu's post #369 broke me free of the Yggy's R2R death grip

Then I saw some disturbing schiit posts
Looked like one guy got bullied into buying the Yggy.
I now imagine Jason handling customers with Don Draper's What face the whole time.
Overall I god a bad anti-chifi clique/cult vibe from the schiit characters.

I assume Gustard has their own propaganda machine but we just don't know it because it's posted all in Chinese!

Of all things this review was the coup de gras that solidified my belief in I2S
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/616-ps-audio-directstream-dac-review

oh, and my X20U is supposed to arrive in the 1st half of September

Aug 26, 2015 at 7:39 PM Post #458 of 605

I've been lurking through this thread and the H10 thread for the last few days trying to learn as much as I could to make an informed decision on what amp and DAC I should buy. Which was no small task considering I know absolutely nothing about audio. That's right a brand new gleaming noob to this rather convoluted and subjective world.

I can proudly say that I have jumped aboard the S.S. Gustard with both feet firmly planted. One foot resides in the H10, the other in the X20U all paired up with the Audeze LCD-X. I believe there was something said in the H10 thread about buying big up front and being happy in the long term, so I took it to heart.

First I just want say thank you to all of you swabbies out there that have been keeping this thread running strong and disseminating useful, clear, and pertinent information so  that even a newbie like me could benefit from all the ground of you noble guinea pigs have done
beerchug.gif

I would also like to thank our captain stuartmc for your integral role in making these difficult decisions manageable. Your detailed and tangible reviews of products side by side were a god sent and a damn sight fun to read to boot! 

That's about it for now. I will keep you guys updated as things arrive. Be prepared for a ton of questions. And again thank you all so very much! 
biggrin.gif

Sounds like we're on the exact same path.  The only thing left is to receive the x20u which is scheduled for delivery shortly after 9/15.  Should be fun...

Aug 26, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #459 of 605

First I just want say thank you to all of you swabbies out there that have been keeping this thread running strong and disseminating useful, clear, and pertinent information so  that even a newbie like me could benefit from all the ground of you noble guinea pigs have done:beerchug: .

That's about it for now. I will keep you guys updated as things arrive. Be prepared for a ton of questions. And again thank you all so very much! :D  

That's just awesome, our new swabbie! Thanks for sharing this with us. It's very gratifying to know that our merry band of pecunious audio nuts has made a good impression on you - taught you a few things and hopefully made you laugh. It's good to be the noble guinea pig and defacto Cap'n of the SS Gustard!

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #460 of 605
I assume Gustard has their own propaganda machine but we just don't know it because it's posted all in Chinese!

Actually, I have it on very good authority that Mr. Huang and the rest of the Gustard principals have no propaganda arm and no guile, for that matter. It's one of the reasons I really like this company. They appear to be genuine enthusiasts who have mostly served the Chinese DIY market and have done contract work for other companies. The Gustard brand is a relatively new venture for them.

Aug 26, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #461 of 605
Originally Posted by DLlama /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can proudly say that I have jumped aboard the S.S. Gustard with both feet firmly planted. One foot resides in the H10, the other in the X20U all paired up with the Audeze LCD-X. I believe there was something said in the H10 thread about buying big up front and being happy in the long term, so I took it to heart....

First of all, welcome. Secondly, I hope that you'll be able to return to your homeland, soon, and be 'officially' accepted there! (Unless you're a real Lhama; then happy grazing) 
biggrin.gif

It's nice to see that the Gustard threads have some appreciation.

I just wanted to 'pipe in' on a note of caution. Firstly, I know little about the X20, so my remarks are excepting this component.
I think that you should remember that the H10 is a 'value for money' amp. That's to say that whilst it does fantastic things for its asking price, its performance can still be quite noticeably bettered. I mention this because the phones that you are using are quite high-end. If you were mentioning perhaps the hifiman he400, 500 or 560, then fair enough; the H10 is perhaps their perfect partner (when it comes to both price and performance).
But, I've noticed a shortcoming of the H10, with the (half the price of the LCD X) lcd2; the treble is slightly unrefined and has a premature roll-off. I'm certain that the H10 will not be getting the best out of your pricey Audeze phones!

I'm going to experiment with more running in, and swabbing op-amps, but generally I'm using the H10 as a known quantity with which to make a judgement for my next amp upgrade. It offers such good value for money, and works so well with planar 'phones, that it was an obvious 'stepping stone'. But, unless the ad797's really shine, I'll be finding another amp to really get the treble clarity back into my lcd2, and I'm a 'bassdigger'; i often find that some treble is OTT!

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #462 of 605
  For me Stu's post #369 broke me free of the Yggy's R2R death grip

Then I saw some disturbing schiit posts
Looked like one guy got bullied into buying the Yggy.
I now imagine Jason handling customers with Don Draper's What face the whole time.
Overall I god a bad anti-chifi clique/cult vibe from the schiit characters.

Of all things this review was the coup de gras that solidified my belief in I2S
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/616-ps-audio-directstream-dac-review

I think that I get what you mean; from reading those threads (on either forum) you get the impression that to experience R2R,...
a) you must buy a Yggy
b) or if you can't afford a Yggy, then a second hand, almost as expensive Theta dac is your only other option
c) and to have a valid opinion, you must have a collection of >$???? dacs

Well, I'm a complete convert to R2R (as of long before Schiit were tinkering) and I think there are plenty of other options. But, i still find the Yggy, and other unaffordia, comparisons interesting and useful; I may one day be looking to upgrade my source (but not for a looong time yet!)

One key thing that appears to have been overlooked, by the R2R discussions and hype, is the use of the best connection- I2S.
Thankfully, this option seems to becoming more standard is recent offerings, like those from Gustard. (I just wonder if Gustard will, one day, get the R2R bug!)

I agree with the Capn's point about Gustard's lack of guile and hype; propaganda and marketing work quite differently in China, and they really do seem to be a small company. But when you see Jackie Chan advertising 'Gustard' (and making some improbable claims), you'll know that that's all changed!

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:29 AM Post #463 of 605
@stuartmc, does your X20U play DSD ? Please, let me know.

There is no way for me. I  think i tried every possible set up, getting always the same playback error "could not query sample rate". I installed the latest ASIO Proxy driver v0.8.1

Another question about the SACD menu: is it normal that those three voices out of five become inactive after skipping the output mode from PCM to DSD ??? No matter what file i’m going to play, it stays as you can see here: http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee483/Uomo_Avvisato/Videoproiettore/Problema%20foobar%20ASIO%20DSD%203_zps67l8dvex.png .

Thanks

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #464 of 605

I think that you should remember that the H10 is a 'value for money' amp. 
I'm certain that the H10 will not be getting the best out of your pricey Audeze phones!

I'm going to experiment with more running in, and swabbing op-amps, but generally I'm using the H10 as a known quantity with which to make a judgement for my next amp upgrade. It offers such good value for money, and works so well with planar 'phones, that it was an obvious 'stepping stone'. But, unless the ad797's really shine, I'll be finding another amp to really get the treble clarity back into my lcd2, and I'm a 'bassdigger'; i often find that some treble is OTT!

I will agree with you that the H10 is a value for the money amp but everyone here talks endlessly about how great it is, especially with low impedance planar magnetic headphones. Also I didn't have much a choice with the amp in this case. I got a really good deal on a site called massdrop where I got the LCD-X with the H10 and I ended up getting the H10 for free sooo it was tough to pass up. And I'm just going to hope that my experience with the X's differs from your 2's.  But I am looking forward to learning about your testing new amps
atsmile.gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #465 of 605
  Sounds like we're on the exact same path.  The only thing left is to receive the x20u which is scheduled for delivery shortly after 9/15.  Should be fun...

Oh man, it looks like we will be getting our equipment around the same time! I look forward to reading about your audio experience once your all set up
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back