Gustard Amplifiers and DACs
Aug 24, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #436 of 605
Among aes, coax, optical and I2S, which one you think is the best?

I can't speak for any Gustard products, nor have I ever done any direct comparisons. But there should be only one winner there, that's I2S; it's the only one that includes the clocking information.
Cable runs have to be kept very short (like < 30cm) though!

Optical has the worst rep (because it has another conversion process), but will give electrical isolation (from a 'noisy' pc).

So:

I2S
AES (balanced)
Coax (spdif)
optical (toslink)

...in that order.

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #438 of 605
Thanks for the replies guys..  I'm definitely going to try the x20u direct to the USB first and see how it goes.  I'll probably explore the Tanly as a possible future upgrade.  This all leads to another question.  When I had the Meridian DAC, it was stated on several threads that the USB benefited from a clean power source, so I purchased the ifi USB power supply to clean up the USB power.  On the x20u, does the USB daughter card get power from the USB connection, or is it internally powered?  Would I possibly benefit from using the ifi USB power supply with the x20u??

Aug 24, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #439 of 605
I found Tanly on taobao. I used the email link there and corresponded directly with Mr. Tam.

http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=40193288881

Stuart, do you have contact info?  I haven't brushed up on my mandarin lately..

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #440 of 605
Stuart, do you have contact info?  I haven't brushed up on my mandarin lately..
I initially didn't have any other than the taobao contact and I used Google translate with the chrome browser to get me 90% of the way there. I later got a direct email contact, and I'm sure Tam wouldn't mind me putting it out there. It's tanly.tam@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #441 of 605
Thanks - hopefully he won't mind some additional business 
wink.gif
  Well, I'll be back once I have some impressions on the x20u.  Fingers crossed it pairs up well with the H10 and the LCDXs... I'm optimistic.

Aug 25, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #442 of 605
I can't speak for any Gustard products, nor have I ever done any direct comparisons. But there should be only one winner there, that's I2S; it's the only one that includes the clocking information.
Cable runs have to be kept very short (like < 30cm) though!

Optical has the worst rep (because it has another conversion process), but will give electrical isolation (from a 'noisy' pc).

So:

I2S
AES (balanced)
Coax (spdif)
optical (toslink)

...in that order.

Hello Bassdigger.
30 cm seems very short.
It was hard for me to bend a 60cm HDMI (a bit tick I have to admit) to connect the u12 to the x12. They are stacked, with the h10 between them (obligatory choice due to form factors).
I also had to twist (very lightly) the cable to match connector orientations.
A 30cm cable would not have fit at all in my set-up. Maybe so without the h10 in the middle, but I 'm not sure.

Edit: autocorrection errors!

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #443 of 605
30cms is a guesstimate. As i recently found out, there are different kinds of I2S signals; maybe some of them work over a longer run, than others.
But, I still understand that I2S connections should be kept as short as possible. I don't actually know why, but I don't doubt it.

Yes, you're right; it does require (hopefully) a sympathetic position/angle of connector, and some strategic positioning of equipment.

Below is my own I2S connection:

The QLS qa550 transport is positioned (at an angle) on top of my H10 amp (nearest and out of focus), and is connected to my vintage dac, underneath the H10.

The cable itself is DIY (perhaps the bits of foil give that away!) and made specifically for this application. There isn't much scope, if any, for different positioning. This is the compromise, to have the best possible transport to dac connection.

I really don't know how people manage with Gustard's HDMI connections!

Edit: 2nd pic added

Aug 25, 2015 at 5:49 AM Post #445 of 605
I initially didn't have any other than the taobao contact and I used Google translate with the chrome browser to get me 90% of the way there. I later got a direct email contact, and I'm sure Tam wouldn't mind me putting it out there. It's tanly.tam@gmail.com

I tried+failed to do the free registration on taobao.  The phone texting verification doesn't fly.
I emailed Tanly and name-dropped Stuartmc in the subject line.

$450 does indeed seem like a lot for a Chinese transport.  PUC2 (AES) is the same price.
But if I2S is the name of the game, and this unit will compete with a $1500 Hydra-Z + power module then I suppose the pricing is on par.

I'm following your lead Stuart.  I hope I don't spend much time on an HDMI cable hamster wheel.

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #446 of 605
  30cms is a guesstimate. As i recently found out, there are different kinds of I2S signals; maybe some of them work over a longer run, than others.
But, I still understand that I2S connections should be kept as short as possible. I don't actually know why, but I don't doubt it.

Yes, you're right; it does require (hopefully) a sympathetic position/angle of connector, and some strategic positioning of equipment.

Below is my own I2S connection:

The QLS qa550 transport is positioned (at an angle) on top of my H10 amp (nearest and out of focus), and is connected to my vintage dac, underneath the H10.

The cable itself is DIY (perhaps the bits of foil give that away!) and made specifically for this application. There isn't much scope, if any, for different positioning. This is the compromise, to have the best possible transport to dac connection.

I really don't know how people manage with Gustard's HDMI connections!

Edit: 2nd pic added

Nice custom length diy cable! :)
Surely a short HDMI does not hurt! Mine is a nice 60 cm cable from Ricable. Before I used a regular tv hdmi cable (I guess it was 1.5/2 m long).
With the Ricable I immediately noticed an improvement, or at least my brain told me so (placebo effect definitely possible eheh).

Aug 25, 2015 at 7:33 AM Post #447 of 605

I tried+failed to do the free registration on taobao.  The phone texting verification doesn't fly.
I emailed Tanly and name-dropped Stuartmc in the subject line.

$450 does indeed seem like a lot for a Chinese transport.  PUC2 (AES) is the same price.
But if I2S is the name of the game, and this unit will compete with a $1500 Hydra-Z + power module then I suppose the pricing is on par.

I'm following your lead Stuart.  I hope I don't spend much time on an HDMI cable hamster wheel.

Did I miss something???? Was there a shootout between Tanly and Hydra-Z with ZPM psu?????

See threads beneath for more info:

Gustard U12 / Tanly / Melodious MX-U8
http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip

Melodious MX-U8 / Audiobyte Hydra-Z
http://www.head-fi.org/t/767935/melodious-mx-u8-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip

Aug 25, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #449 of 605
  no it's just my wishful thinking
anything can "compete" with anything -- winning is another matter
unless you're Charlie Sheen, then the winner is the transport who's savings will get you the most cocaine.

I know you can COMPARE the two devices, but PROBABLY Tanley can not COMPETE with Hydra-Z.

Are you familiar with Soldering Iron? DIY tasks? If YES: Look at my MX-U8 mods

Users who are viewing this thread

Back