Gustard A20H DAC (Dual AK4497EQ, analog preamp, headphone amp, all in one)
Nov 30, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #346 of 391
Do anyone have experience comparing the A20H versus the X22-Pro? I am curious which is recommended?

I love the AK DAC chips as they are very musical, but I have no experience with the new ESS chips.

Many thanks.
How, if nobody sell them yet? :D

Dec 1, 2017 at 5:47 AM Post #348 of 391
Well still no resolution.

So for anyone that comes across this that is planning to buy one and who cannot easily get in touch with Gustard within China, I would give this device a pass. Now back to the drawing board to find something AK4497-based with balanced output.

-Collin-

Sounds like it was likely an issue with the amp module, still get the noise from the line output? You can use it as a DAC still then? If it's the DAC section, why not go for separate DAC and use it just for the amp.

There are really nice generic DACs using the AK chips on eBay, right now I'm using this Breeze Audio one based on the AK4495SEQ, modified by rolling in a Muse 8920 opamp for the output:

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1KGvS...on-asynchronous-digital-audio.jpg_640x640.jpg

I really like the AK chip sound, now saving up for the AK4497 one with selectable filter settings:

https://m.aliexpress.com/s/item/328...SB-Sound-Card-Dual-Transformers-Optional-XMOS

Dec 1, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #350 of 391
Well still no resolution. My friend sent a message on QQ to Gustard a week ago and no reply from them at all. Also no reply from my AliExpress seller. The noise continues to get worse every day, so unfortunately I'm going to have to write this one off as an $800 loss. Really a shame.

So for anyone that comes across this that is planning to buy one and who cannot easily get in touch with Gustard within China, I would give this device a pass. Now back to the drawing board to find something AK4497-based with balanced output.

-Collin-

Sorry to hear that.
You can try contacting them through taobao, I find that he is rather responsive and I get responses within hours.

Dec 1, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #351 of 391
Sorry to hear that.
You can try contacting them through taobao, I find that he is rather responsive and I get responses within hours.

Good news, the TaoBao contact seemed to have worked. Even better, a good friend of mine is traveling to China next week and will drop it off to him personally and then bring it back for me! So I should, if all goes to plan, have it all back and repaired in about four weeks. I think this is a better trade off than paying $100 shipping each way and I have plenty of other gear I can use in the meantime.

-Collin-

Dec 2, 2017 at 1:07 AM Post #352 of 391
Good news, the TaoBao contact seemed to have worked. Even better, a good friend of mine is traveling to China next week and will drop it off to him personally and then bring it back for me! So I should, if all goes to plan, have it all back and repaired in about four weeks. I think this is a better trade off than paying $100 shipping each way and I have plenty of other gear I can use in the meantime.

-Collin-

I'm glad that suggestion worked and that it all worked out for you.

One more thing to note:
You should double check with them if they would allow for your friend to drop off personally.
it's stated on their page that "所有送修只接受快递/邮递方式,不设开放接待" which translates to "All repairs are to be sent by mail/courier, no open reception".

Jan 18, 2018 at 8:47 AM Post #353 of 391
Hi HFs,

I'm interested in this DAC/amp so I'm looking for some more info.
On shenzenaudio they gave me the following values for the A20H max headphones output power:

balanced headphone output:
32Ω 2400mW
64Ω 1230mW
150Ω 530 mW
300Ω 264 mW
600Ω 132 mW

unbalanced headphone output:
8Ω 600mW
16Ω 307.5mW
37.5Ω 132.5 mW
75Ω 66 mW
150Ω 33 mW

Are the unbalanced values realistic?
They look too small for this kind of equipment imho. Even a batteries powered pocket player can be more powerful. Or am I missing something?
What kind of headphones can be driven satisfactorily by this amp using the unbalanced output?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 18, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #354 of 391
No, the unbalanced power is around a half of balanced one per load impedance.
For example, 32 ohm 1200mW, 64 ohm 615mW, and so on.

Jan 22, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #359 of 391
I'm glad that suggestion worked and that it all worked out for you.

One more thing to note:
You should double check with them if they would allow for your friend to drop off personally.
it's stated on their page that "所有送修只接受快递/邮递方式,不设开放接待" which translates to "All repairs are to be sent by mail/courier, no open reception".

I am happy to report that after sending my A20H with my friend to Shanghai, him mailing it to Gustard from there, them attempting to fix it and not being able to, Gustard has sent me a brand new A20H via DHL. Despite months of waiting and having a faulty unit, they have honored their warranty and I am very happy. The new one exhibits no sound quality issues and works as advertised. I am glad to come back and post that the situation has been resolved and thanks to everyone here for the suggestions and help with contacting them.

-Collin-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back