Gundam Model-Fi (Gunpla) (Post Some Pictures!)
May 6, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #76 of 381
May 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #78 of 381
Quote:
Hmm Gunpla could be a great next hobby once I'm bored with headphones....

Sure, its a nice hobby, but one that needs a lot of patience if you wish to build good models.
Still, its a great feeling once you have a model ready, you feel like you've created something, rather than just buying and keeping stuff.

May 7, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #79 of 381
Quote:

Sure, its a nice hobby, but one that needs a lot of patience if you wish to build good models.
Still, its a great feeling once you have a model ready, you feel like you've created something, rather than just buying and keeping stuff.

I agree, its quite cool!

May 8, 2013 at 3:08 AM Post #80 of 381
Quote:
May I ask what I should or could outline with the black outline marker?

Post pics when you're done!

First, try to remove the nubs, it improves on the look. Right now its pretty noticeable its been cut out of a runner. 
http://gundamph.com/faqs/how-to-remove-nubmark-sprue-mark-tutorial-gundam-building-101/

You don't need to use sandpaper, especially not if the parts have a special finish.

Second, regarding the panel lining: http://gundameisters.blogspot.com/2011/03/gunpla-tutorial-panel-lining.html

May 8, 2013 at 4:05 AM Post #81 of 381
Quote:

Post pics when you're done!

First, try to remove the nubs, it improves on the look. Right now its pretty noticeable its been cut out of a runner. 
http://gundamph.com/faqs/how-to-remove-nubmark-sprue-mark-tutorial-gundam-building-101/

You don't need to use sandpaper, especially not if the parts have a special finish.

Second, regarding the panel lining: http://gundameisters.blogspot.com/2011/03/gunpla-tutorial-panel-lining.html

I'm guessing it's the same plastic as the airfix stuff, so a craft knife should trim the nubs cleanly.

May 8, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #82 of 381
Quote:
I'm guessing it's the same plastic as the airfix stuff, so a craft knife should trim the nubs cleanly.

I've been able to remove the nubs cleanly with a craft knife, but the mark stays. Its more noticeable on darker colors. If you want to perfectly remove any marks, a very fine sandpaper will do the job (2000/2500 Grit).

May 8, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #83 of 381
Quote:
I've been able to remove the nubs cleanly with a craft knife, but the mark stays. Its more noticeable on darker colors. If you want to perfectly remove any marks, a very fine sandpaper will do the job (2000/2500 Grit).

Oh, my bad, are the lower end kits pre dyed? I was assuming you had to paint all of them. :frowning2:

May 8, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #85 of 381
Quote:
Oh, my bad, are the lower end kits pre dyed? I was assuming you had to paint all of them. :frowning2:

They're not dyed, the plastic itself is colored, so its all the same color through and through.

The resin kits need to be painted, but they're pretty expensive, artist grade stuff, and look super awesome when complete. Here's a resin example of the Strike Freedom Gundam, 1/100 scale (enlarge for a better view):

That said, a lot of people actually like to re-color their gundams, some for a different/weathered look, some for a more matte/glossy look.

May 8, 2013 at 9:36 AM Post #86 of 381
Quote:
They're not dyed, the plastic itself is colored, so its all the same color through and through.

Dyed. You dye plastics during the moulding process to make them certain colours. It's confusing because dying something obviously also refers to the old meaning where you dye the item after manufacture.

May 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #87 of 381
Quote:
Dyed. You dye plastics during the moulding process to make them certain colours. It's confusing because dying something obviously also refers to the old meaning where you dye the item after manufacture.

Thanks for the correction.
However, some gundams like the ones with special finish have been dyed afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back