Gundam Model-Fi (Gunpla) (Post Some Pictures!)
May 1, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #46 of 381
Quote:
The problem isnt the price of the model.

Its the starter price equipment of $50 and then the model

I'm not sure if I understand correctly....All you need is a cutter and a sharp blade, and a marker. There's no need for any paints and stuff unless you want to be really professional. Master Grade kits are pretty well made by themselves.
This one is my first gundam, and it didn't require anything other than the 3 things I mentioned.

May 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #47 of 381
I'm not sure if I understand correctly....All you need is a cutter and a sharp blade, and a marker. There's no need for any paints and stuff unless you want to be really professional. Master Grade kits are pretty well made by themselves.
This one is my first gundam, and it didn't require anything other than the 3 things I mentioned.
I thought i had to "color"
And accent it with the gundam markers?

May 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #48 of 381

May 1, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #49 of 381
Quote:

Nope.
The parts are already moulded out of colored plastic. Unless you're trying to be really pro/ trying your own look,  you don't need to use your own colors.
One thin marker will do for the linings.

May 1, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #50 of 381
Quote:
Nope.
The parts are already moulded out of colored plastic. Unless you're trying to be really pro/ trying your own look,  you don't need to use your own colors.
One thin marker will do for the linings.

The gundam black marker? Or do you think just a regular one?

May 1, 2013 at 9:11 PM Post #52 of 381
Quote:
The gundam black marker? Or do you think just a regular one?

I think any waterproof marker should do, but you can get the gundam black marker for better authenticity. 
tongue.gif

May 1, 2013 at 9:13 PM Post #53 of 381
Quote:
BOUGHT!

I wanted to buy one I liked so this.

1/144 HG Gundam Seed Destiny

$25 w/free shipping.

I already have the side wire cutters.

Looks really cool!
Too bad the Mobile Suit Gundam (UC) timeline doesn't have any with wings.

Just a word of advice...Gundams need a lot of patience...I found that out the hard way. Follow the instructions really carefully, sometimes its very difficult to separate components if you make a mistake.
I'm not sure if you know Japanese, so just for reference, use this guide to understand the symbols in the assembly manual: http://www.mech9.com/blog/2009/10/meaning-of-the-symbols-found-in-a-bandai-model-kits-manual/

May 1, 2013 at 9:28 PM Post #54 of 381
Quote:

I think any waterproof marker should do, but you can get the gundam black marker for better authenticity. 
tongue.gif

hmm i see all these straight black lines that people do. I can't do that with a regular marker. Does the gundam one make it easy or something?
Quote:

Looks really cool!
Too bad the Mobile Suit Gundam (UC) timeline doesn't have any with wings.

Just a word of advice...Gundams need a lot of patience...I found that out the hard way. Follow the instructions really carefully, sometimes its very difficult to separate components if you make a mistake.
Just for reference, use this guide to understand the symbols in the assembly manual: http://www.mech9.com/blog/2009/10/meaning-of-the-symbols-found-in-a-bandai-model-kits-manual/

Thank you very much! I read some reviews and noted that down. 

Don't take everything out of the clip until you need to use it.

Bandai uses standard symbols for parts that need to be upright or have other things to it

I was and am a good fan of Gundam Seed. I thought it was the schiit when I was a kid. I resaw all of it 6 months ago. Yeah, not as awesome as I remember but still very enjoyable(enjoyable, not critically anything deep/big).

I had two I thought of, the Strike with all the packs on

Edit!

I cancelled the first order

This was on sale. And I love Freedom Gundam

May 1, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #55 of 381
Quote:
hmm i see all these straight black lines that people do. I can't do that with a regular marker. Does the gundam one make it easy or something?

Actually the lines are "grooves, filled in with marker".  They already exist in the plastic, just that you won't really notice them (most gundams are white), unless you fill it with black ink.

Typically, a 0.3 marker will do. 

Other than that, there are tons of tutorials online, they have a lot of good tips on cutting, fitting and inking, just search for "gunpla building tutorials".

Oh, and when cutting the parts off the runners, try not to cut close to the part itself, leave a bit of the nubs intact (which you remove before assembly), otherwise you risk cutting into the part.

As for Gundam series, I agree. I watched the original MSG movies after watching Gundam Unicorn. The original series is from the 80s so the animation isn't all that nice and the gundam is pretty plain, but its a good series overall. The Unicorn is in a different league.

May 2, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #56 of 381
Oh wow Gunpla-fi, was looking a thread on this

What I have now:
1/100 MG Strike Freedom Full Burst Mode (bootleg model but once in a while wouldn't hurt)
1/144 RG Freedom
1/144 HG Force Impulse
1/144 EG (Entry Grade) RX-78-2
1/144 EG Strike
1/144 EG Exia
1/144 EG 00
SD Destiny
some SD Gundam whose name I have no idea of (a clue for those who know, they are "triplets" I think)

What I have before:
1/144 HG Aegis (fell apart)
1/144 HG BuCue (bootleg model that fell apart)
1/144 NG Saviour (fell apart)
1/144 NG Strike Freedom (fell apart)
1/144 NG (I think) Jenice Kai

Note: EG is basically a no-grade 1/144 further simplified, with easy to remove runners and snap fit assembly, bought them to practice painting but find it a waste to throw some of them away

wanted more but my glass cabinet has less space now since it is sharing space with other models (cars especially), Figmas and Nendoroids

May 2, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #57 of 381
Quote:
Oh wow Gunpla-fi, was looking a thread on this

What I have now:
1/100 MG Strike Freedom Full Burst Mode (bootleg model but once in a while wouldn't hurt)
1/144 RG Freedom
1/144 HG Force Impulse
1/144 EG (Entry Grade) RX-78-2
1/144 EG Strike
1/144 EG Exia
1/144 EG 00
SD Destiny
some SD Gundam whose name I have no idea of (a clue for those who know, they are "triplets" I think)

What I have before:
1/144 HG Aegis (fell apart)
1/144 HG BuCue (bootleg model that fell apart)
1/144 NG Saviour (fell apart)
1/144 NG Strike Freedom (fell apart)
1/144 NG (I think) Jenice Kai

Note: EG is basically a no-grade 1/144 further simplified, with easy to remove runners and snap fit assembly, bought them to practice painting but find it a waste to throw some of them away

wanted more but my glass cabinet has less space now since it is sharing space with other models (cars especially), Figmas and Nendoroids

Wow, that is an impressive list.

Have you given 1/100 MGs a try? I see you only have one...I really like the detail and they are pretty impressive when put together.  I was looking into 1/144 but I liked the 1/100 better.

May 2, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #58 of 381
Here's what I'll have by the time I'm done building them:

1/100 MG Unicorn 02 Banshee (Titanium Finish)
1/100 MG Sinanju (Titanium Finish)
1/100 MG Unicorn 01 
1/100 MG Unicorn 01 Full Armor

Currently I've only built the first, its going to be a few months before I have all of them.

May 2, 2013 at 2:34 AM Post #59 of 381
Quote:

Wow, that is an impressive list.

Have you given 1/100 MGs a try? I see you only have one...I really like the detail and they are pretty impressive when put together.  I was looking into 1/144 but I liked the 1/100 better.

I liked the MGs, as much as I like the RGs

MG is a nice balance of articulation, detail, size and price (though some are really pretty expensive to me).
RG is affordable, and brings out the best of engineering (sometimes overengineering) to the masses, crazy detail and really tiny stickers (I am scared of losing them while assembling).

May 2, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #60 of 381
Quote:
I liked the MGs, as much as I like the RGs

MG is a nice balance of articulation, detail, size and price (though some are really pretty expensive to me).
RG is affordable, and brings out the best of engineering (sometimes overengineering) to the masses, crazy detail and really tiny stickers (I am scared of losing them while assembling).

RG uses stickers? I thought they all use water based decals.

The MG articulation and detail comes at a metaphorical price though. The articulation doesn't always work as planned because the fits are not always to exact tolerances, parts are really complex, and you can see that real world physics starts to limit things (and also the reason why a full size gundam is hard to make). They look amazing though, and will need a base to be stable enough.

I'll try out some 1/144 once I'm done with this list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back