Gun owners?
Aug 11, 2011 at 6:50 PM Post #61 of 78

Quote:

Anyway, my goal here wasn't to start an argument, only to show my point and see what everyone else thought.

I think you probably are going to get mugged again or worse.  Some creatures like to roll over and play dead when threatened.  Others like to have sharp claws for when the moment arises or to prevent said moment arising (deterence).  Your statistics are inaccurate here in the US and in Australia as well btw.  Open carry and concealed weapons permits prevent crime.  There is clear data for this that has is consistent time and time again.  Your stat most likely includes those that own guns illegally, ergo are criminals, so there you go.  Another problem w/ most who tend to have your type of mindset is the belief that all problems and threats can be reasoned with.  Wait till you try to give your wallet to some double 'Y' chromosome psychopath that just likes to kill just because they can.  Order comes from the fear of repercussions , not from good will and camp-fire sing-a-longs.  

I just wanted to know the motivations behind the decision to use those rights.

Apart from small genitalia syndrome, some of us actually use our weapons and track our cars.  Some like weapons as a skill set and art form as well from an end use and engineering standpoint too.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #62 of 78

Quote:

+1 Those AUS and US stats were the first things that came to mind, I was like "huh?" but thought I'd play nice and not take the thread to the more gun laws + unlawful = higher violent crime rates school of thought.

btw - I see you're in the OC, my brother lives in Ladera and I visit him from time to time. Any good places to shoot near by or even better BLM land?

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #64 of 78
I'm going to ignore the part where I'm accused of trolling just because the poster didn't agree with me. I'm actually serious about this, and I'm sorry that you can't see this.

Anaxilus: I don't think you read my first post, only my last one. I have been mugged, actually 5 times so far, in all of them with a knife, and all happened withing the last 8 years. I think I have a fair knowledge of what getting mugged feels like.

It's kind of insulting to use the expression "people with your mindset" like you're putting me in a bag with every hippie you dislike. I strongly suggest you read my posts again: I never said to be against gun-bearing, only against owning a gun like it's a toy and talking about it like you're bigger than you are. A gun is a dangerous object that will most likely kill someone when used - most people here are very proud of that fact. It's not something you should use to feel better, it's supposed to be a last resource when you get mugged or worse. I think people who think they might be in danger if not carrying one should of course carry one, just not talk about it like they are somehow better. That kind of midset, to use your expression, will likely end up in an injury or worse of themselves or someone else.

Again don't tell me that people like me think a certain way, when you clearly didn't bother to know my opinion, which I expressed very clearly before, and did so again in the above paragraph. I am in favor of gun-bearing, just not being deluded about it like it's a toy that you can play around with. I never said every conflict could be resolved with a campfire - again, you love to use stereotypes - only that it seems some people here don't take the effects of a gun seriously enough. It's useful, but it shouldn't be your first answer to a conflict. And also, I think the fact that you can do something isn't a reason to actually do it.

Oh and I understand that my statistics might be outdated or wrong, it's just something I always heard. And no, in my country barely any criminals use guns. Owning a gun is borderline impossible, even through illegal means.

Edit: I thought I might have read the rules wrong, or they might have changed... apparently not. So  next time someone tells me political debate is forbidden on Head-Fi, I'd appreciate a quote or a link to that rule. In any case, it's not my goal to start that debate.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:11 PM Post #65 of 78

Quote:
I think you need to move to a better neighborhood.

Lol no kidding. I've noticed it's mostly before or after getting off public transportation, so I've started to avoid certain buses and get home before 9pm. Also, if I feel like there's a risk and there's no other option in means of transportation I ask my dad to pick me up, but I don't like relying on him for that kind of stuff. One of the many reasons why I'm getting a driver's license.

Aug 11, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #66 of 78

Quote:

btw - I see you're in the OC, my brother lives in Ladera and I visit him from time to time. Any good places to shoot near by or even better BLM land?

Not to my knowledge.  We used to have a nice outdoor range in Irvine which got shut down I believe due to a real estate land grab.  If you find one let me know.  
wink_face.gif

@lizard - we get your bravado and brandishing complaint.  It's just too tedious to reply to soooo many meanderings and misreadings (of mine, yours and others posts) you've mentioned.  Beyond those points it seems you either missed the boat or it just went over your head from the very start.  Suffice to say you won't see any pics of my gear as I see no benefit to sharing that info publicly myself.  Personal choice.  After being in the military my romance w/ firearms has mostly gone and they are just tools to me now.  I'm just interested in having the best tools for the job and little more, again that's just personal.  One day when you understand the sound of pumping a shotgun is in fact its best use (unless the sound goes ignored) we really can't discuss anything further other than you feel some people 'compensate' for various reasons.  Btw, some consider hunting and marksmanship a sport that can be fun so no need to rain on their parade by using YOUR stereotypes I think.  Which is really the core of your argument.  That people that 'enjoy' their weapons are inbred rednecks or have small genitals.  If it isn't you should edit your posts to be more clear.  

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #67 of 78
LizardKing, I've been mugged, too.

Then I bought a handgun. I have three now. Sling all the insults you want, but I don't brandish or brag about it. Fortunately, I now live in a state with sane gun laws. I can carry if I want.

If someone threatens my life again, I'll put some holes in them. I'm a lawyer, so I know the applicable laws. I used to train with a police officer, too, and can pass the police shooting drills. I'm terribly liberal with social issues. I love my gay friends, worship the First Amendment and am 100% behind civil rights. But I will not be a victim again. I don't care what the statistics are, I'll perforate anyone who threatens me.

Aug 12, 2011 at 5:57 AM Post #69 of 78
My grandfather (WW II infantry vet, Europe) strongly recommended the .45 ACP. I'm pretty sure he knew what he was talking about.

As for American culture... one of our tenants experienced a home invasion robbery over in Phoenix. The robbers didn't know he was retired Army special forces. He came out firing. They hid behind the sofa, which caught on fire from all the rounds put into it. They were lucky they wete still alive when the police showed up.

Criminals around here are well-armed and you have to have a level playing field.

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #70 of 78
Aren't defensive kills (from gun shot wounds) also treated as homicides? I don't think it's as simple as just shooting whenever someone tries to rob them. If my life was threatened, I would shoot to defend myself but I wouldn't shoot someone just because he tried to snatch my wallet away from me.

I live in Singapore and the average citizen is not allowed to own, let alone carry around fire arms. There are very few shooting ranges for civilians, fwir. The common weapon used in fights would probably be broken glass bottles and knives. I know it would be a lot ****tier if guns were allowed.

Back on track:

love the pics Wakeride. Very pretty guns =D 

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #71 of 78
@Anaxilus: besides the unnecessary sarcasm (more rhetoric?), you didn't really objectively touch any of my bullet points. I never said people who enjoy guns are all rednecks country music experts, since you can of course look at a gun and admire the way it's made, how much work was put into creating it, what advantages it has from similar models. I still have difficulty explaining what exactly bothers me, and that has to screw up my point of course
tongue.gif
but I think someone can admire a tool he uses and still recognize that in this case it can harm/kill people. And I still haven't decided how I feel about hunting, although I reckon it's a better use of a gun than the ego boost I mentioned.

@UncleErik: well maybe what I said was exactly not directed at you. I completely understand where you're coming from: you've been in life-threatning situations before, next time you want to be prepared. That's kind of the kind of gun ownership I was defending. I didn't sling any insults at you or any kind of situation like yours - I really think people should dedicate a bit more time to my posts. And again, I'm being sacked along with the hippie stereotype: I never assumed that to own a gun you had to be a die-hard republican. Gay people own guns too!

Look I tried to make my point across, and even know I'm not sure I did. Maybe it's my fault since I can't really describe it, but I don't think it goes so much into conflict with what most of you said so far that I had to get insulted in pretty much every reply. I got accused of everything, from trying to take away your Constitutional Rights to being a stereotypical liberal. I can see when a debate has dried out. Please continue with your hobby gentlemen, and may your genitalia never need compensation through deadly artifacts!

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #73 of 78
Yellow: Eat up, don't walk in shady areas. Muggers don't usually hit on big body kids who walk in well-lit areas.
Purple: Contradiction.
Red: I find your obsession with others' genitalia(e) very disturbing.

You're making a mountain out of nothing, really. People come on here to discuss guns, talk about hitting their targets on the head, yadayadayada, if you can't handle it, then don't enter. There's always gonna be a COD fanboy who'll say something like, "I prefer AK47 to M16 because AK47 has more damage and looks cooler", just disregard them. I reckon most of the guys in here are old and mature enough to judge right from wrong and they prefer to conceal carry instead of showing off that new shiny toy gun they just got the other day. 

Quote:

This is my problem with gut-toting. I can understand if you feel the necessity of a firearm for safety reasons. I read every single post on this thread (you'll forgive me if I skipped some of the technical stuff) and I read the post of a user explaining how he worked on a complicated place, and had colleagues having their lives endangered. But that's a safety concern.

The posts I quoted above relate more to what I would define as a need to compensate for something.

I'm not a victim just because I don't carry a firearm. I think we all know that statistically you're more in danger when carry a firearm than when you don't. Call me European ***** liberal all you want, this is a statistical fact. I have been mugged 5 times and I'm only 20. In all cases the guys either had a knife which they showed me, or implied that they did and would use it. A gun would have been helpful, yes. It might also get me killed.

And besides the legitimate safety concern, there's the small penis factor, as I like to call it. It's the same thing as owning a Ferrari or a 10,000$ interconnect. You need a metal tube that goes Ka-Boom to make you feel like a big man. I would own a gun if I worked in a night shift on some place I felt not to be safe, but I wouldn't think "I'm da bomb" because of it. It's not part of my personality. It doesn't make me a big boy. Anyone with a gun can be a big guy, just like anyone with a Ferrari can think of himself as king of the hill. I have much more respect from a guy practicing self-defense for the last 5 years, with a clear notion of when to defend himself and when to give in, than a guy who needs to lock-and-load to get a boner.

I know this might not be the case for any of you, but some of the posts in here just reminded me of barefeet, incestuous rednecks yelling "get of ma property, boy!". I'm sorry if I derailed your thread, I don't dislike gun people, I just dislike people who think it's a fashion accessory or something to get an ego boost of. It should be a last resort in a violent conflict.

Quote:
@Anaxilus: besides the unnecessary sarcasm (more rhetoric?), you didn't really objectively touch any of my bullet points. I never said people who enjoy guns are all rednecks country music experts, since you can of course look at a gun and admire the way it's made, how much work was put into creating it, what advantages it has from similar models. I still have difficulty explaining what exactly bothers me, and that has to screw up my point of course
tongue.gif
but I think someone can admire a tool he uses and still recognize that in this case it can harm/kill people. And I still haven't decided how I feel about hunting, although I reckon it's a better use of a gun than the ego boost I mentioned.

@UncleErik: well maybe what I said was exactly not directed at you. I completely understand where you're coming from: you've been in life-threatning situations before, next time you want to be prepared. That's kind of the kind of gun ownership I was defending. I didn't sling any insults at you or any kind of situation like yours - I really think people should dedicate a bit more time to my posts. And again, I'm being sacked along with the hippie stereotype: I never assumed that to own a gun you had to be a die-hard republican. Gay people own guns too!

Look I tried to make my point across, and even know I'm not sure I did. Maybe it's my fault since I can't really describe it, but I don't think it goes so much into conflict with what most of you said so far that I had to get insulted in pretty much every reply. I got accused of everything, from trying to take away your Constitutional Rights to being a stereotypical liberal. I can see when a debate has dried out. Please continue with your hobby gentlemen, and may your genitalia never need compensation through deadly artifacts!

Deerp.

Aug 12, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #74 of 78
I have a Ruger P94 .40 S&W and I like everything about it, it shoots a lot like my old Browning Hi-Power .9mm. The one issue that I have with it is the seemingly cheap springs used in the clips. If I store the clips loaded for too long, the springs seem to lose temper and the gun will consistently jam up when I get to the last few rounds. I suppose I could stretch the springs out but it does not appear there is an obvious way to take the clip apart and it would probably have to be re-done periodically. Any suggestions?

Aug 12, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #75 of 78

My grandfather, also WWII but Naval Aviator just gave me a Japanese Nambu that he took off a pilot that was shot down near their camp during a nightly bombing run. The thing is just as accurate as my 1911 .45 if not more so. Very proud to have it passed to me and plan to pass it to my son when he is old enough to appreciate it. 
Quote:
My grandfather (WW II infantry vet, Europe) strongly recommended the .45 ACP. I'm pretty sure he knew what he was talking about.

As for American culture... one of our tenants experienced a home invasion robbery over in Phoenix. The robbers didn't know he was retired Army special forces. He came out firing. They hid behind the sofa, which caught on fire from all the rounds put into it. They were lucky they wete still alive when the police showed up.

Criminals around here are well-armed and you have to have a level playing field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back