Gun-Fi
Nov 27, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #1,411 of 1,730

Quote:
It did.
Sold the PPK and kept the p238.  Much more comfortable to carry inside the waistband.

I've been bit by the rifle bug.  I got myself a little 22LR rifle (CZ 452).  I'm going to see just how much of a target sniper rifle I can make out of it.
Equipped it with a bipod.  Right now I'm waiting on rings to come so I can mount my scope on it. 
First step is to take it to 100 yards, and then I need to start searching out a place where I can go even longer (hopefully 300-500 yards).  Easier said than done in MA. 

300 to 500 yards with a rimfire is just not realistic mate. 

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #1,412 of 1,730

Quote:

300 to 500 yards with a rimfire is just not realistic mate. 

perhaps.  I'm going to keep pushing my setup until I hit a limit.
So far 100 yards is way too easy.

I also decided I wanted more magnification, so I'm swapping my 3.5-15 scope for a 5.5-22 scope.

Nov 27, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #1,413 of 1,730
For 22LR, personally - I'd stick to 100 yards and just work on my accuracy within that. Unless you are already consistently within 1/4-1/2 MOA.

Once you get past 200 though, you are going to have to compensate for a LOT of bullet drop with a 22LR, not to mention nasty windage as that light bullet gets slower. 

Also - if you are really after pushing limits - stick with iron sights and see how accurate you can get. Used target sets are not too pricey (or a new Lyman)... but a new Warner #1 or Phoenix Precision sight will run you a pretty penny.

Dec 1, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #1,414 of 1,730

Quote:
People having fun shooting 22LR's out to 500 yards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX4pLnt_9zg

I've shot .22LR out to 400 yards, and the time-of-flight was longer than shown in that video.  I'd say they were maybe at 300 yards.  And dead still, too, from the looks of that mirage.  Probably a 48" to 50" light steel target, judging from the ring.  They didn't start filming until they had the range dialed in.  Too bad it's so out of focus or you should have been able to see the bullet in flight at that velocity.

Tower 7:  Are those the lowest mounts you could get for that scope?  Parralax could be a problem, not to mention getting a stiff neck.

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:40 PM Post #1,415 of 1,730

Quote:
Tower 7:  Are those the lowest mounts you could get for that scope?  Parralax could be a problem, not to mention getting a stiff neck.  

Thanks for the suggestion.  No, that was a less than ideal way of mounting it to the rifle.  I couldn't find anything local to me that fit better, so I had to order a few things online.  They should arrive this weekend, hopefully they will fit better.
My biggest problem with the rifle is the rear elevation sight which is not easily removable.  If I didn't have that, I could use rings I already have that would bring the scope much closer to the barrel.  I'm seriously considering swapping my thin barrel cz 452 with a heavy barrel version without the rear elevation piece (no iron sights).

Also, after using the scope I decided I wanted higher magnification, so I will be swapping the 3.5-15x50 for a 5.5-22x56.  Should suite my intended use a little better.

Dec 1, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #1,416 of 1,730

Quote:
For 22LR, personally - I'd stick to 100 yards and just work on my accuracy within that. Unless you are already consistently within 1/4-1/2 MOA.

Thanks liamstrain.  For the short term I think that is what I'll end up doing.

Dec 3, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #1,417 of 1,730
Check on Brownells.com.  I've been doing business with these people for over thirty years.  Between them and Midway, you should be able to find everything you need.

Have you thought about the .22Mag rimfire?  I've had several of these and presently have a Cooper and a Ruger 77/22M synthetic ("the bushcraft rifle")  (guess which one is more accurate? 
biggrin.gif
).  While .22LR is basically a 75 yard proposition for the size of targets with which it can effectively deal, .22Mag with jacketed hollowpoints at twice the velocity is good on targets twice as large out to at least 125 yards.  When you think about it, the vitals of most small game represents a target the size of a golfball.  Your effective range should be that range where you can keep ten out of ten shots within an inch, center to center.  The difference in effect on both cartridges on prairie dogs at 75 yards has to be seen to be believed.

Dec 28, 2011 at 4:48 PM Post #1,418 of 1,730

Wow Wow Wee what a nice collection, if only we could own guns in the UK
Quote:
Sig P2022 40S&W... looking to get a CZ-75B soon

AK-74 from Rifle Dynamics... it's in CA trim here at home but this is when I was hanging out in Vegas... I run a thumbhole stock and 10rd mags over here. Stock Ak action except a birdcage style flash hider and american length polymer furniture... the Tapco polymer magazine is not mine.

Norinco SKS... stock everything. 

This is my "Hurricane Katrina" natural disaster scenario stash. Just kidding it's just my routine range trip haha. Lots and lots of Norinco chinese surplus 7.62x39.

I'm second from the right. DPMS 18" 1/7 twist rifling stainless steel barrel upper with A2 flash hider on a Bushmaster lower with a Chip McCormick 2-stage trigger and Magpul MOE ergos. For the record I am not an AR-15 fan.

And just to prove it's me:

Flipping my new 29 Knives balisong!

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:13 PM Post #1,420 of 1,730
A friend of mine just bought one of these. After the purchase we went to the range to put some rounds through it. I was a fan.

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #1,421 of 1,730
Had a cleaning day for the guns I've shot recently. Trust when I say theres much more. :p I am from Texas afterall. My current rifle collection numbers around 26, handguns 22 and shotguns a lowly 8.

If I had to pick my two favs it would be between my little 3inch Colt and my .357 derringer. Both picked for their emotional value.

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #1,422 of 1,730
You've got some ******* nice .308's man... when I get my cashflow right I'd love to have a PTR-91 one day and shoot 'dem cold war suplus bullets

Jan 1, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #1,423 of 1,730
You've got some ******* nice .308's man... when I get my cashflow right I'd love to have a PTR-91 one day and shoot 'dem cold war suplus bullets

Jan 1, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #1,424 of 1,730

Quote:

That DPMS in the last pic is my favorite one. Daniel Defence quad, atlas bipod, magpul PRS stock, a Trijicon 3x9 sitting on A.R.M.S. quick release mounts and as of last week a custom made Rob Sculer muzzle break. It tears up the ground squirles out here. :p I kept it short barrel for easy transportation in the truck, but honestly it keeps up pretty darn well with my bull barreled 24inchers. Not a tack driver past 600m, but still great it its own right.

I love the PTR's. Thats a gun I've never had the pleasure to own. :frowning2:

Jan 1, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #1,425 of 1,730

Quote:
That DPMS in the last pic is my favorite one. Daniel Defence quad, atlas bipod, magpul PRS stock, a Trijicon 3x9 sitting on A.R.M.S. quick release mounts and as of last week a custom made Rob Sculer muzzle break. It tears up the ground squirles out here. :p I kept it short barrel for easy transportation in the truck, but honestly it keeps up pretty darn well with my bull barreled 24inchers. Not a tack driver past 600m, but still great it its own right.

I love the PTR's. Thats a gun I've never had the pleasure to own. :frowning2:

I had a DPMS 18.5" upper with the SS barrel and just a regular A2 flash hider at the end. I don't have the pleasure of shooting glass so I just thought I'd go old school with Troy flip up sights, I borrow some of my friends Aimpoints from time to time though... I do a lot of 100 yard drills on mil-surp ammo so they're all loaded hot and pretty accurate to boot. Anything within 300 yards is just a matter of eyesight and easy prey haha.

DD quads are expensive, thats almost half an AK for just your rail but sometimes you just gotta have it right?

Gotta send some money my way man, I'm trying to squeeze money together for a S&W Range Officer... I can't compete without a 1911, I could care less for the hyper patriotism that follows the gun or it's service history... I flat out cannot compete in competitive pistol shooting without one... some of these guys can seriously do like 1-1.5MOA at 25 yards.. I'm lucky if I can hit a 6" plate in the same spot twice at 10 with a Springfield XD9.

The cable thing just pays for my expensive thai food habit LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back