Gun-Fi
Nov 20, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #1,381 of 1,730

Quote:
I think the Sig p238 has replaced the PPK as my carry gun.

It did.
Sold the PPK and kept the p238.  Much more comfortable to carry inside the waistband.

I've been bit by the rifle bug.  I got myself a little 22LR rifle (CZ 452).  I'm going to see just how much of a target sniper rifle I can make out of it.
Equipped it with a bipod.  Right now I'm waiting on rings to come so I can mount my scope on it. 
First step is to take it to 100 yards, and then I need to start searching out a place where I can go even longer (hopefully 300-500 yards).  Easier said than done in MA. 

Nov 21, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #1,383 of 1,730

Quote:
I've been bit by the rifle bug.  I got myself a little 22LR rifle (CZ 452).  I'm going to see just how much of a target sniper rifle I can make out of it.
Equipped it with a bipod.  Right now I'm waiting on rings to come so I can mount my scope on it. 
First step is to take it to 100 yards, and then I need to start searching out a place where I can go even longer (hopefully 300-500 yards).  Easier said than done in MA. 

You will soon figure out that the most accurate .22LR ammunition is the standard velocity stuff (@1100FPS).  The supersonic .22LR stuff goes supersonic in the barrel, but after that it's all trans-sonic destabilization with a low ballistic coefficient unjacketed lead bullet.  It's best to think of the .22LR as a 75 yard proposition for the targets it is capable of.  Whenever I've shot the .22LR at 100 yards, I've been impressed by being able to actually see the slow bullet through the scope in its arcing flight and by the huge amount of drift you can get in a mild breeze due to the ballistics of the bullet and the long flight time.

That is not to say that micro-sniping has no future.  Peter Hathaway Capstick was a professional hunter and writer in Africa during the second half of the twentieth century.  He developed the recreation of micro-sniping with precision .177 airguns, but there is no reason not to apply the same principles to mini-sniping with the .22LR.  Capstick was a realist and saw no reason to shoot airguns at ranges outside their capacities.  Instead, he went for small targets, targets that were proportionate to actual sniping targets at long range with the formula that 3/4" = 1,336.6 yards.  For example, using 9mm cases stuck in modeling clay as targets, at 35 yards present a target proportionate to the 29 inch average between belt buckle and scalp at 1,336.6 yards.  A 35mm film can at 35 yards would represent @650 yard shot.  It's all written up in his book "Last Horizons".  And it makes for great competitions at home.  Have fun!
beerchug.gif

Nov 22, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #1,384 of 1,730

Quote:
Aren'
t these nice pistols?  Mine has a very smooth trigger pull and even handles heavy 9mm+ comfortably.
beerchug.gif

I love it. A lot meaner on the hand than a full-size 1911, but otherwise great. And it fits pretty much everywhere.

I did have to learn to grip the Kahr differently than I prefer for a 1911 (with my right thumbs on the slide release) to avoid hitting the mag release when I fire, but otherwise, it's a fine firearm.

Nov 22, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #1,385 of 1,730
Sig P2022 40S&W... looking to get a CZ-75B soon

AK-74 from Rifle Dynamics... it's in CA trim here at home but this is when I was hanging out in Vegas... I run a thumbhole stock and 10rd mags over here. Stock Ak action except a birdcage style flash hider and american length polymer furniture... the Tapco polymer magazine is not mine.

Norinco SKS... stock everything. 

This is my "Hurricane Katrina" natural disaster scenario stash. Just kidding it's just my routine range trip haha. Lots and lots of Norinco chinese surplus 7.62x39.

I'm second from the right. DPMS 18" 1/7 twist rifling stainless steel barrel upper with A2 flash hider on a Bushmaster lower with a Chip McCormick 2-stage trigger and Magpul MOE ergos. For the record I am not an AR-15 fan.

And just to prove it's me:

Flipping my new 29 Knives balisong!

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #1,386 of 1,730
Used to own a Beretta 92 (one of the originals with the mag release at the bottom of the grip) was very sad when the law changed in the UK and she had to go!

Currently own a Sako TRG-22 .308 stealth with S&B PMII 5-25 MSR atop..  Tikka T3 Lite Stainless 6.5x55, she used to wear a Swarovski Z6i but cashflow meant I had to sell it to get some cash..  will replace someday but currently has a Trijicon Accupoint on her.. jury is still out on this one..  I'm not convinced I did the right thing with the Trijicon when I could have had a bottom end Zeiss, S&B, or good Leupold for the same price..  the image seems very blurry round the edges at full mag.  Also have a Beretta Perennia SV10 12g and load all my own ammo (not the shot shells)  Have a lovely pair of Zeiss 8x45 rf bins for hunting too.

Nov 22, 2011 at 2:24 PM Post #1,388 of 1,730
BUT... whilst that works in honing vertical skills, you just don't get the same wind issues over shorter distances.  You may simulate the relative size of a target but the most difficult thing about shooting is reading/compensating for wind.

I was shooting 1,000 yards in competition this summer and we had a gusting 15mph l-r wind which was pushing the bullet 15 feet off target some shots, then when the wind dropped, almost nothing at all.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #1,390 of 1,730

Quote:

I have Geisseles in all but one. I love the AK, but I need to relearn a bit if I put it away for a few mo.  

I was considering a Geisseles since it's within the same price... but honestly I think those are way too high-speed for me (borderline dangerous since I'm not really a professional shooter) and I think you're not supposed to dry fire with those...

I dry fire a lot out of boredom when I was home a lot... but alas I'm not an AR-15 shooter anymore just because the cost of decent synethetic lubricants and ammo. Unless I owned a Colt, LWRC, Noveske, or Daniel, I wouldn't shoot hot loaded 5.56 NATO from a .223 chamber... which is sad since 5.56 NATO surplus is really cheap and has plenty of power and cycles wonderfully in a good AR. I tried some mags full when I was in Vegas and I'd get really wonky hangups haha. They always tell you to put all your money in your upper and thats when you know you should have listened!

If you ever come up to CA, we should go shoot my friend's CA legal 7.62x39 RPK... thing tears apart big ol rocks no problem!

It's not financially possible for me to have all these now haha, I was able to just hoard money to buy this stuff back when I was working and not in school, I'm in my third year of college and I rarely buy new guns unless it's just a straight trade or trade + cash. The new headphone lounge business thing does provide me with some funds to put into my long neglected shooting hobby however.

Nov 23, 2011 at 9:00 AM Post #1,391 of 1,730
Haven't heard about the dry fire issue with Geissele. I have a couple of his Hi-Speed triggers in my (large pin) Colts, one with probably close to 20,000 dry fires with no problems. The Hi-Speed is the one with the adjustable over travel, and can be set in three configuration. The Hi-Speed was not my first choice, but was the only option for the Colt large pin till he offered it in his service model, the SSA. I have Colts, LMTs, and Bravo Co's, all with 5.56 chambers.

My 3 issues with intermittent use of the AK are the magazine pivot pin, the charging handle, and the safety. Consistent positive engagement of the pivot pin comes back in a session or two or three. With the charging handle I end up with an occasional a 1-2 sec delay, but that's the way it is. The safety is the main issue because we don't use it the same as on the AR.

Nov 23, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #1,392 of 1,730
I wouldn't call it an issue.. it's just respecting sensitive instrument for what they are haha. That sounds fancy!

How do you like your BCM? They're like an LWRC/LMT for less money right? LMT is horridly expensive for me but their complete uppers come with very nice acessories and the monolithic rail is top notch.

I use both, I'm hands down deadlier on the AR... I prefer to shoot the AK since I like being the "bad guy" at the range haha. I live in Northern California with all the rich people (I'm not rich, I live in the semi-janky area) so they're all shooting AR-10's with designer glass on them lol.

I only own the AK, SKS, and a beater Mosin I use to bang on the wall to tell my neighbors to shut up (I live in a townhouse which has shared walls with your neighbor haha)

Nov 23, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #1,393 of 1,730
My BCM are mid-length uppers on LMT lowers. Then there are 2 large pin 6920, and 2 LMT 16" carbines. They're all good. I had a mountain of Golden Tiger 7.62x39, but also use Brown Bear. Not as inexpensive as corrosive, but I'm too lazy for that. I clean every 1000-1500 rd. 

We usually train in Vegas near Red Rock, but for now, not so much recently. Dry firing is critical for periods such as this.

I came close to getting a really nice WW 2 Mosin, but chickened out. Neat to have but I like to keep my inventory tight, so there was no room for it.

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #1,394 of 1,730

Quote:
You're not going to get much farther with 22lr regardless of what state you're in.

People having fun shooting 22LR's out to 500 yards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX4pLnt_9zg

Nov 25, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #1,395 of 1,730

Quote:
My BCM are mid-length uppers on LMT lowers. Then there are 2 large pin 6920, and 2 LMT 16" carbines. They're all good. I had a mountain of Golden Tiger 7.62x39, but also use Brown Bear. Not as inexpensive as corrosive, but I'm too lazy for that. I clean every 1000-1500 rd. 

We usually train in Vegas near Red Rock, but for now, not so much recently. Dry firing is critical for periods such as this.

I came close to getting a really nice WW 2 Mosin, but chickened out. Neat to have but I like to keep my inventory tight, so there was no room for it.

Dang didn't even want to cut costs on your lower, plus two colts and two LMT complete rifles?? Thats insane man. I use the ****ty Wolf 1000rd packs and the Russian milsurp corrosive (it is, right) stuff for 5.45.

I clean every other shooting session for my AK's... I clean the pistols there at the range if there aren't people waiting for lanes. The Mosin is really overrated... lots of love for the rifle and how cheap the ammo is for sure, but I prefer the SKS to it since it can at least relate to modern day rifles. 54R is just brutal and shoots fireballs and makes everybody go deaf lol... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back