Gun-Fi
Sep 1, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #991 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess this guy would have needed it :

1808265901.jpg

that was shot by Michio Hoschino, and it's supposed to be his last photo...ever.

Just to clarify, that actually isn't by Michio Hoshino, its a photoshop that has been passed around for ages.
20090525-dffn2cnkygiu7nw14k3fs1i6b7.jpg

same bear from a stock photo agency. they just shopped on a caribou body and bear legs, hate to break it to ya.
Would make for a better story though right?

Sep 24, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #995 of 1,730
Beautiful Garand. My 2 humble regular service grades are ugly ducklings compared to this one, but they are a joy to shoot as I know yours will be.

My Dad carried one from Normandy, across France and into Germany, and that makes the M1 very special to me.

Congratulations on your gorgeous piece of history.

How does it group?
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 24, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #996 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got a Garand from CMP North at Perry but damn, they did not have anything that nice when I went there a few years ago. The Special Service Grade looks nice!

The Special Service Grade is the "one" as I'm told by a local guru. He had just returned from Camp Perry with one. I saw it and had to have it, but they are not sold online and he thought they were only available at Perry for the Championships. That didn't do me much good. But I gave CMP south a call on a random Tuesday morning (they restock before and open on Wednesdays). I was told they would have Special Service Grades available, so I left for Anniston, AL on Tuesday afternoon, got a room for the night, and showed up at 7am the next morning. CMP opens at 8am and I was 6th in line. That was one eclectic line. Every one from the wacky old guy with the encyclopedic knowledge of everything Garand to a NASA flight surgeon.

The Special Grade is more expensive and they are offered online, but they have a new production barrel, which is a no-no for a collector. They are still gorgeous as far as I'm concerned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wareagle69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Beautiful Garand. My 2 humble regular service grades are ugly ducklings compared to this one, but they are a joy to shoot as I know yours will be.

Hang on to your Service Grades. There are none available at the moment.

Quote:

My Dad carried one from Normandy, across France and into Germany, and that makes the M1 very special to me.

Very nice.

Quote:

Congratulations on your gorgeous piece of history.

How does it group?
bigsmile_face.gif

I've only sighted-in the H&R yet (the Field Grade), but that one groups as well as I can shoot it. I was concentrating on hearing that long, tinny *ping* for the first time when the clip ejects more than anything else.

Sep 24, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #998 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by jon743 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Beretta 92's are way sexy, I've come this close to buying one a couple of times, but just couldn't justify it because I don't love the feel. (probably because I have small hands.
frown.gif
)

Besides the issue with the 92's design leading to stress fractures of the slide, I managed to borrow one once to try and found it did not balance or shoot well for me. Since then, I've always tried to borrow a deisreable firearm and shoot it just to see if it will work out for me. A luxury you may not have with an issue firearm, but a good practice for the private owner.

Oct 9, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #999 of 1,730
Just got my first weapon, Springfield XD 9. Won't get a chance to shoot if for a little while, but I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger on the purchase (pun definitely intended).

Cheers,
Zach

Oct 11, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #1,003 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Darn! I do not what to even imagine how much that set you back.

Let's just say I could have bought a really nice headphone rig for what I paid for it!
smily_headphones1.gif
That can be good or bad depending on the way you look at it.

Oct 11, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #1,005 of 1,730
Bullpups are almost counter-intuitive feeling on first acquaintance but one can rapidly get a good feel and appreciation for them and not just a few excel at what they're designed for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back