Gun-Fi
Nov 15, 2009 at 12:24 AM Post #1,021 of 1,730
here's my new toys (ccw included)
smily_headphones1.gif

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:10 AM Post #1,022 of 1,730
@number1sixerfan

A USP compact is about as perfect as a ccw weapon I know of with caveats. What trigger is installed? Look into the LEM trigger; it’s is ideal. Look at Graysguns.com if you are interested in making an HK into something beyond most firearms. The initial double action trigger pull of the non-LEM HK’s needs special attention and training by the user IMO (more so than striker fired weapons). Although, there is no one ‘best’ ccw gun and proper training for any gun despite its action is to anyone's advantage.

1. Really, your choice.

2.HK is known by some as ‘Hates Kustomers’, but I hear that is changing. I’ve personally had no mechanial problems for the 2 P30's and 1 USP compact I own.

It’s can be difficult to form a relationship with a gun store for the uninitiated. The BEST place to figure that out is a local forum.

3. Midway.com and many others.

Holster choice is practically endless.
The Comp-tac Minotaur is a very popular choice: Minotaur Hybrid Holsters -

4. No. It can make some uncomfortable. Such is life. The best thing you can do is offer to take the person to the range with you. Many people who have never been around firearms attribute them with magical powers and think if you tap on them with a tongue depressor they will fire and kill innocents around the globe. Try to dispel that.

5.. First, do as much research as you can to find the best instructor. Second, Ask your CCW instructor questions. Again, a local forum s is invaluable for this. After you take your CCW course, it will be to your benefit to seek out further firearm tanning. CCW courses are not designed to teach you how to use weapon.

There are many online sites to review laws and such. Use them like you would Wikipedia.- Don’t trust they are correct. Find your Ohio .gov site and read the laws for yourself. You are way above the curve thinking you should seek legal counsel for clarification. For the most part, friends, cops and other gun owners are not legal experts.

Above all, join your local firarms forum. Looks like Ohio has an active one:
Firearms Forum Online • Index page

Nov 15, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #1,023 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by number1sixerfan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haven't been to this site or thread in a while but....I've decided to carry and will be taking a CCW class next Saturday to be eligible for a permit. I've decided on the H&K USP Compact .45ACP as my carry weapon. I LOVE shooting .45's at the range. They just feel perfect. Regardless of the manufacturer...I just shoot best and am most comfortable with that caliber. I chose H&K because it felt best at the range(along with reliability and their reputation), and also because I am in love with it. lol

I have done plenty research elsewhere and I am pretty much dead set on this firearm. I do have a few questions about CCW in general:

1. My job prohibits firearms(which is disheartening as it's downtown where there is a lot of crime). I plan to carry anywhere else I go that is not prohibited. Should I simply leave the firearm at home, or should I plan on keeping in it the vehicle per the regulations of my state's laws? I'm not sure I see much of a purpose of keeping a gun in the car.

2. Should I purchase the firearm locally? The prices are a little higher, but since this is my first purchase I am wondering if the extra expertise and customer service may be worth it.

3. What are the best online resources for accessories? My local shops have terrible selections of holsters, grips, mags, etc.

4. For those of you who carry concealed, has this change the way some people view you? I understand that most people should have no idea that you carry, but for instance I just started dating this girl and she has no idea I am pursuing this. I could see how this could make her uncomfortable. Just curious...

5. Lastly, I have been and am continuing to review Ohio's CC laws as I am very concerned about the legal aspect. If I have questions about the things I am researching, I assume it's best to consult legal counsel?

1) Places that prohibit lawful CCW just tell the bad guys "come and get it!" The MN CCW law makes parking lots and your vehicle free zones for adjusting your condition as you feel appropriate. I don't know about the Buckeye.

2) Purchase your firearm where you feel comfortable and well cared for and get a good price. A new handgun will be under warranty and if there are unusual operations after 200 rounds of break-in with a clean gun, you want factory authorized service anyway. Where's your H&K service center?

3) Google for Brownells. Blade Tech, Fobus, Galco etc. Get yourself a good nonlethal weapon (CN/pepper gas or a baton) and learn to use it. Martial arts are great exercise and real mind focusing activities.

4) Nobody has ever guessed I was carrying. Once you get used to it, nobody will ever guess you are carrying.

5) As a former LEO, a lawyer for over 25 years, and an instructor in lethal force law for CCW courses, I'll be happy to field your specific questions. Just take your CCW class first; my guess id it will answer most of your questions. Any chick worth being with digs guns.
biggrin.gif

Good luck.

Nov 15, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #1,024 of 1,730
Sam and Old Pa, great information. Thank you very much!

And to answer your question Sam about the trigger, I was just thinking of getting a brand new OEM version, so I guess it would have the stock trigger. I will research more into the trigger and other parts I may need to be aware of that I may want to swap out.

Another question, where have you all been purchasing Ammunition in 45ACP? So many places seem to be out of stock and on backorder...(*edit* found a few places online..)

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:21 PM Post #1,025 of 1,730
Holy Crap…quoted $1058 for the USP. That’s the price for a new one, or a supposed limited edition they also have in stock. I was seeing $700 and $800 on the net, so I was definitely not ready for that.

Nov 17, 2009 at 5:32 PM Post #1,026 of 1,730
Quote:

Holy Crap…quoted $1058 for the USP. That’s the price for a new one, or a supposed limited edition they also have in stock. I was seeing $700 and $800 on the net, so I was definitely not ready for that.

One of the aspects of the already mentioned "Hates Kustomers" has always been H&K USA's unbending policies limiting and protecting dealers and supporting retail prices. No risk of free trade here. Wait till you price out the six magazines you are going to need.

Nov 17, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #1,027 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the aspects of the already mentioned "Hates Kustomers" has always been H&K USA's unbending policies limiting and protecting dealers and supporting retail prices. No risk of free trade here. Wait till you price out the six magazines you are going to need.

I need to make sure there isn't a cheaper alternative that I am overlooking since with tax this is $300 more than I was prepared to spend on this. I really liked the Glock models I use at the range but I really would like a manual safety....hmmm...

And what all should I need for the first purchase? I know I'll need ammo, a case/bag, and cleaning kit should be all. I think it comes with 2 mags and I will double check that.

Also, if anyone has a book to recommend on cc or gun ownership/safety in general please let me know. The local forum has been a huge pool of info so far.

Thanks again.

Nov 17, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #1,028 of 1,730
Quote:

And what all should I need for the first purchase? I know I'll need ammo, a case/bag, and cleaning kit should be all. I think it comes with 2 mags and I will double check that.

For a bag, check out Midway's:
MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag PVC Coated Polyester Black - MidwayUSA

It is huge so be prepared for that. It will easily hold four guns (comes with two slips and two pockets that are good for guns), ammo, targets, eyes, ears, mags, etc.. They do make a smaller version as well.

If you're going to shoot a ton with a magazine gun, get an Uplula:
Maglula UPLULA Universal Pistol Magazine Loader Polymer Black - MidwayUSA

Be sure you know how to load a magazine by hand but one of these will really save your thumbs during a long range session.

I've never used one as CC is prohibitied in Illinois, but check out Milt Sparks holsters. They have a very good reputation, especially the VersaMax II. http://www.miltsparks.com/

EDIT: Also, since you are going to be owning your own gun and CC'ing, I assume that you are going to be shooting more. Use both plugs and muffs at the range. I have custom fit plugs because I shoot a ton of clay targets with a shotgun but foam plugs work just as well.

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #1,029 of 1,730
I love my milt sparks w6dt, although I used to have the lou alessi version I liked even more.

I also have some matt delfatti leather I love, but his wait times have gone through the roof.

Nov 17, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #1,030 of 1,730
.375 Holland & Holland Magnum, that's the one we used to hunt elephant back home.

Nov 17, 2009 at 11:46 PM Post #1,031 of 1,730
I think I am going to order from budsgunshop. Thanks samgotit for the tip! They ship to my local gun shop and it is about $250 cheaper. Will just have to pay for the transfer fee. I think I will order by Friday, just want to make sure it's not an impulse purchase. lol

Nov 18, 2009 at 1:52 PM Post #1,032 of 1,730
Quote:

They ship to my local gun shop and it is about $250 cheaper. Will just have to pay for the transfer fee.

Confirm the transfer fee before ordering; some local shops expect up to 10% -15% of the firearm price in addition to the flat fee to make up for "lost profit". It might pay to shop this.

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:59 PM Post #1,033 of 1,730
Quote:

Confirm the transfer fee before ordering; some local shops expect up to 10% -15% of the firearm price in addition to the flat fee to make up for "lost profit". It might pay to shop this.

Yea, thanks for the tip. It turns out the fee is only $25 for at my gun range.

I went to the range today, and saw the limited edition H&K USPc 45 with the stainless steel slide; and it definitely is making me rethink whether or not I want to fork up the extra $200 for it. I also shot a few compact 9mm and it also made me reconsider which caliber to go with. I shot the H&K uspc 9mm and the Glock 36 and they were just so easy to shoot.

One thing is for sure, there are too many damn options with all this. lol

Nov 23, 2009 at 1:55 AM Post #1,034 of 1,730
Quote:

One thing is for sure, there are too many damn options with all this. lol

Not really. You just need one of each. See my early posts in this thread. And that aint the half of it.
eek.gif
Just try to get the best gun for the purpose. Never, ever try to get "the last gun you will ever need".

Nov 23, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #1,035 of 1,730
Quote:

Not really. You just need one of each. See my early posts in this thread. And that aint the half of it.
eek.gif
Just try to get the best gun for the purpose. Never, ever try to get "the last gun you will ever need".

x a billion.
ksc75smile.gif

EDIT: and I have 27 shotguns, 2 rifles, 4 handguns (which will probably be 6 by the end of the year) to prove the above. Buy one gun to start and then, as you want to do new things, buy a gun for each new purpose
icon10.gif

But seriously, buy as many as you want but pick one as your primary gun and get used to it as that is the best path to betterment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back