Gun-Fi
Jul 8, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #946 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Once you get your FOID, send me a PM, we might be able to work something out. Any range in IL will ask to see your FOID to rent you a lane and you need to to buy ammo or guns, anyway.

Thanks, I'll be sure to send you a PM when I get my FOID. Hopefully you can point me in the right direction and give me some pointers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by boomana /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fun. Fun.

Okay, before I got back into handguns after 20 years of nothing, I did a lot of research into what I thought I wanted. After going to the range and trying out those guns, not one of the guns I was sure I wanted ended up being best for me. Find a range that rents a wide selection, and/or do I as did and hire an instructor for a couple hours to basically take you shopping. I was able to try out about 12 different guns in a few hours, and by the end of the day, had it narrowed down to two for my first gun. I could have been happy with either, but went for the Wilson KZ, because it was used (barely) and I got a great deal.

Word of warning: Guns are an even more expensive/addicting hobby than headphones. That KZ only lasted in my home for a few months (sold to a head-fier), and I've somehow acquired a few more. Like headphones, think of your primary purpose (hobby/range, personal protection, concealed carry, etc.) and then start looking around and trying different models. My reasoning for having what I do that might help you:

Smith & Wesson M&P 9C. Basic good gun, and primary use is for range and carry. Fit my hand better than others, and I shot it better than a Glock or and XD, which were the other two I was considering. The other "basic" guns I was researching (CZs, Beretta) were eliminated due to hand fit (as a woman, I couldn't reach the trigger well well on some models). You really need to try different guns out. You'll know when you've found the one that's right for you. I chose the compact model for carry, but since you can't carry in Illinois, that probably won't be a consideration with your first gun. 9mm is cheaper to shoot/practice than .45 or .40.

Les Baer Xtreme Tactical. You really need to try a 1911. Everyone (okay, not everyone) should have a 1911, and there are a lot of nice ones out there at various price points. I have this one mostly because I like it and got a good deal in a trade that included headphones (HF1s). This gun is so easy to shoot and be accurate with, I look really impressive at the range, but it's also the one I keep loaded here at home for the same reason. .45 gets really expensive to shoot.

Seecamp .380. I wanted a true pocket gun, and one I could wear with my more girly clothes (M&P is too bulky) without printing, and I don't believe in purse carry if avoidable. Guys don't have the same problem. I ordered this from Seecamp (14 month wait), since trying to buy one from a dealer or even used is usually double the price. I'm still waiting. I thought about the Rohrbaugh R9, which is the same size, but I figure that if I'm ever going to be using it, I'll be close enough that 9mm vs. .380 better not make a difference. One shot better be it. Not a range gun, except to keep in a little practice. At the SHOT show this year, Taurus and Sig both had a couple nice, pocket .380 (the Sig seemed modeled on the Colt Mustang), but I don't know if they're available yet. I know that Sig was looking at April for release but they weren't yet in my local gun store when I was there mid June.

Browning hi-power. Never has a gun felt so right in my hand, as if it was made for me. That's the main reason I got it. Mine is highly customized (Ted Yost), and I'm an idiot, because I still have to facilitate it's transfer out of TN to me in FL though I bought it months ago. Think I'll do that today. This is my R10 of guns.

I do want a good revolver, with the reasoning being that they don't jam as easily in high-pressure situations (I took a couple tactical classes, and I jammed my gun from prone shooting positions a couple time. That was a really important lesson to learn), and are easy to maintain, and mostly because I just want one. Maybe next year.

Wow, lots of info here. Thanks! I'll keep those models in mind when I get to the point where I am looking to purchase my first!

Thanks, and any more info would be appreciated!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 31, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #952 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey boomana:

3667567405_faa8c0f6de_b.jpg

The grip on an HP-35 with Pachmayrs was described to me decades ago as, well, holding onto yourself.
devil_face.gif
Now you know.
eek.gif
beerchug.gif

BHP's do have a nice feel/grip to them. But you need to change out the hammer to a commander style to avoid the BHP bite in the web of your hand and even then you can still get bit.

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #953 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But you need to change out the hammer to a commander style to avoid the BHP bite in the web of your hand and even then you can still get bit.

Never been bit in over a two decades of Steel Challenges with M-35s. My understanding is that the issue "ring" style hammer was the real biter. That, and not getting a good grip.
eek.gif

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #954 of 1,730
I've only shot an HP once but the owner advised to loop the pinky of my strong hand under the end of the magazine and that would position my hand to avoid hammer bite. Worked for me and I have big hands.

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #955 of 1,730
I finally got geared up to shoot a 600yd. F-Class T/R match. When I originally wanted to shoot this match, I found out my scope didn't have enough elevation to get out to 600yds. I ordered a 20 MOA base and was good to go. My .308 load chrono'ed at 2550fps, so that put me at ~18 MOA elevation from a 100yd. zero. For those that don't know, 18 MOA @ 600yds. translates to 107 inches that you must aim above the target due to our beloved force of gravity yanking down on the bullet during its time in the air. I hit the 8 ring with my first sight-in shot. Through the entire match, I hit the X ring (a five inch circle) 13 times out of 66 shots, which I was thrilled with from my factory barrel and action. Most of my others hit the 10 and 9 ring. I had a ball.

The most interesting part was looking down range through the spotting scope to score other shooters. As a shooter fires, you can follow the vapor trail of a bullet in flight from the muzzle of a rifle and watch the bullet arc before it disappears into the berm. The vapor trail looks EXACTLY like the bullet special effects in The Matrix series. Soooo cool...

Aug 4, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #956 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never been bit in over a two decades of Steel Challenges with M-35s. My understanding is that the issue "ring" style hammer was the real biter. That, and not getting a good grip.
eek.gif

Used to luv shooting steel. That is where I could beat the higher ranked shooters. They would go too fast and have to come back or shoot twice on the same plate. I would shoot steady but not slow and beat them every time on a steel stage. I have to get back into IPSC when the weather cools down. Been out of it for a number of years. All my shooting buddies moved chasing jobs or had kids and that was the end of their shootin' for a while.

Aug 10, 2009 at 11:56 AM Post #958 of 1,730
Got to fondle one of these this weekend at Gander Mtn. $2000MSRP. It is piston operated but still, I'd buy the S&W for $1200.

468L.jpg

Aug 11, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #959 of 1,730
I just recently bought these two and I'll post actual pictures once I decide on a new camera to replace my broken Canon. A Kimber Eclipse Target II and a Sig P220 Equinox, both .45 ACP, and both shoot like a dream. I'm looking for a replacement grip for the Sig because it's a little too slick for my tastes but a little grip tape on the front and the back is making me rethink a new grip.

kimbereclipsetargetii.jpg

sigsauerp220equinox.jpg

Aug 11, 2009 at 7:41 AM Post #960 of 1,730
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good .40 S&W handgun? I've gotten the itch for another handgun, and would like to round out the collection with a .40. I've given some thought to the Glock, as well as a H&K USP in .40. I love the .45 USP, but wonder if it might be good to get used to another brand, as well. I had a S&W Sigma in .40 some years back, but sold it because I was never happy with its accuracy.

My other two handguns are a Sig P6 and a Springfield 1911 - both of which I love. Any recommendations or advice would be welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back