Gun-Fi
Dec 7, 2008 at 6:50 AM Post #751 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is a Kimber Pro Carry II HD a good choice for a concealed carry weapon?

As long as you've got a good holster, a heavy duty belt, and are very familiar with the manual of arms for a 1911, yes.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #752 of 1,730
My hunting trip to Northern Wisconsin was another 10 great days. Every year I marvel on how cathartic it is to retreat to the woods staying in a shack with no power or running water. We did come out of the woods for Thanksgiving and went to my SIL's mother's hose near Superior for a shower and turkey.

Not much shooting for me; I took my 7MM Rem Mag and 270 WSM and only shot once with the 270. I got a small buck that will be great eating. Overall we had a slightly less productive year than in the past only harvesting 12 deer. there was at one point 8 guys in camp but it dwindled after opening weekend due to job demands. The weather was colder than it has been for the last few years and the low on the indoor thermometer registered 8° F. We had a little snow but not the 4-5 inches we were hoping for.

Dec 7, 2008 at 2:42 PM Post #753 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is a Kimber Pro Carry II HD a good choice for a concealed carry weapon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As long as you've got a good holster, a heavy duty belt, and are very familiar with the manual of arms for a 1911, yes.

.45ACP, right? What Marvin said (although a shoulder rig is sometimes more convenient for me) and also: at least three magazines that work reliably, a 250 round break-in on the pistol for reliability and familiarization. I am taking "very familiar with the manual of arms for a 1911" to mean the ability to grip, present, orient front sight, and surprise break trigger to produce 2" accuracy at any range of operation and certainly out to ten yards and including dissassembly/assembly for cleaning and emergency mechanical clearing of all common malfunctions, this ability so practiced as to be automatically employed at times of short notice and extreme fright and duress.

On 4" Kimbers; I had one which I was enfatuated with the form but could not get reliable function and therefore sold. It is a common problem of the 4" 1911s that they tend to jam because they have a slightly shorter mechanical action thant 5" guns and the spring timing must be perfect or they misfeed. The 250 round reliability test with the ammunition you are planning to carry is therefore most important.

BTW, nice looking pooch.

John: Glad you had a good trip and time away. I remember leaving Chicago for the Northwoods more than twenty-five years ago to go hunting or fishing and how the city tension just falls away on the road north. Congratulations on your buck. Nothing like having your own venison in the freezer. Dry aged venison sausage, anyone? Yum.
biggrin.gif

Dec 11, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #754 of 1,730
My two favorites:

Winchester Model 12. Old modifications include shortened barrel, variable choke, "pre-ban" ivory bead sights, rubber buttpad. Designed for defense against kitties in Africa. It has serious character.
M12.jpg

...and I haven't taken a proper picture of my new CZ P01 yet. It has proven itself to be amazingly reliably. I fired 2000 rounds of cruddy ammo, 500 of that hollowpoints, without cleaning. There were no malfunctions of any kind and I managed some of the best groups I've ever shot with a handgun. A few thousand more practice rounds and this will be my new CCW.
main028.png

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #756 of 1,730
Awesome!!!! The only thing I have in my inventory is my CZ Slavia airgun and my dads Glock G26 (which I get to fire once in a while)

and again

Awesome!!!!

Dec 28, 2008 at 3:09 PM Post #759 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonVoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't own a gun. In our country.. nobody has a gun. Except some hunters. And I like it that way
smily_headphones1.gif

But i'm getting a compound sport bow soon: )

You know an arrow is actually more deadly than a bullet. Properly placed a deer will go down quicker with an arrow.

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:04 AM Post #761 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You know an arrow is actually more deadly than a bullet. Properly placed a deer will go down quicker with an arrow.

I believe you, heard that many times by skilled archers and hunters. Though I never tried shooting with a gun, I like bows since I was little. Maybe I'm going to try it someday with a rifle.. But, always just artificial targets, no animals or people
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #762 of 1,730
Please keep this discussion on track.

We don't want to drift off into a discussion of gun laws in different parts of the world.

BTW my daughter ordered me a nice 3 die set for reloading my 7 MM rem Mag for Christmas. It is a special order so all I really got was a piece of paper. Gives me a little time to buy some more brass bullets. I have been very pleased with the consistency of my reloads; what I really like is that it has seemed to eliminate the occasional flier. Now all I can blame for a miss is me.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:18 PM Post #763 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif

but i've noticed a fair number of us are gun owners

I can think of no better forum to make my first post!

I offer these up for inspection -

MAS 49/56 7.5x54 w/ correct French scope, mount, sling, accessories, & kepi. (Not shown is the correct scope case that was in transit.)

mas.jpg

It is re-arsenaled but does not appear to have seen any use afterwards. Furniture is new appearing as is the parkerizing so, "never dropped" either. Finding the kepi was by total chance and found in an antique store. Did not know what branch of service, likely Veterinarian or Marching Band with usual luck. A look-up on wiki shows it to be Légion étrangère, officer! (French Foreign Legion)

Hungarian M/52 '02' 7.62x54R w/ correct Hungarian scope, scope cover, mount, & sling.

m52_a.jpg

Made in Hungary by FEG in the early 1950's. It is their version of the Mosin-Nagant 91/30. Very few imported here, most came into the US as Vietnam GI bring backs which are usually found in flogged condition. It is also unfired & non-import marked. Bluing and furniture are perfect and the bolt still has the factory applied protective lacquer on it. Probably a very good story on how this 50+ year old Iron Curtain sniper came to the US in new condition. The fit & finish is more like a US commercial rifle from the 60's. The difference between it and a Russian 91/30 is truly amazing in that regard. Overall, it is a 99.9% piece.

Dec 31, 2008 at 4:56 PM Post #765 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by crimsonVoid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't own a gun. In our country.. nobody has a gun. Except some hunters. And I like it that way
smily_headphones1.gif

But i'm getting a compound sport bow soon: )

People tend to be more polite to each other when the next guy could be packing.

CZ527 in .22 Hornet is my ring seal hunting rig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back