Gun-Fi
Nov 12, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #721 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by leftnose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was at the gun shop last night and they had in stock a Sig 226 SCT. It's pretty big for concealed carry but would make a nice home defense gun.

They also had a 229 SAS which, with a change in grips, would make a nice conceal carry gun.

However, since these are your first guns, I might be tempted to recommend a medium frame revolver like a S&W 686. Shoot light .38 Specials to start then move up to .357. Revolvers are simpler and are easier to "make safe" than a semi-auto.

I'm NOT saying that a semi-auto is more dangerous than a revolver; I'm just saying that a revolver might be a better choice for someone new to handguns.

I'm not new to guns, it'll be my first firearm purchase. I've used guns all my life. My father was a police officer and he let me shoot his Glock 40 a few times...and I really liked it.

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:42 PM Post #722 of 1,730
My parents recently moved to a new house in a nicer area of than our old house. The only thing that mildly concerns my father is that there is a lot of space between houses in this area and lots of forest and hills. He has been contemplating purchasing a small handgun as a defensive fallback in the event of potential burglary while he and my mom may be home. The only person in my family who has any experience firing a gun is me as I have gone hunting on several occasions with some friends. In any case, he is looking for a very simple gun with low maintenance that would be a good starter for learning on and keeping in the event of self defense. Any help with recommendations?

Nov 12, 2008 at 5:56 PM Post #723 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any help with recommendations?

Smith and Wesson 686+ with a 4" barrel. Shoot it with .38 specials to begin with to learn and then progress to .357 Magnum. Very simple to maintain and clean and it's heavy enough to tame recoil. Since portability isn't a concern, the extra weight isn't a detriment.

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #724 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any help with recommendations?

S&W K frame .38SPL with four or six inch barrel. Lots of police trade-in revolvers out there, just have a competent revolver gunsmith test it for timing and function. Model 10 or 15 comes to mind. You don't need a stainless L frame magnum to start.

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #725 of 1,730
I have no guns yet, but I'd like to get one eventually, if I ever get the money, but that won't be anytime soon.

Anyways I think I've narrowed my choice down to either a Beretta 92FS or a CZ-75B SA. I love the way they both look, I think the SA is more visually appealing then the regular cz-75, also I think having drop free magazines would just be awesome. XD Single action only is a bit uncommon I guess (other than 1911's i mean) but I think it'll be fine. I don't have any plans to carry anytime soon, but if I did I could just have it cocked and locked.

So if anyone's owned both, (i doubt there are many cz-75b sa owners :\) I'd like to know your opinions on both. Stuff like which has less recoil, which feels lighter, etc.

I shot a Glock 19 once at a gun range, but I didn't like it at all.

Nov 12, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #726 of 1,730
I tend to think Maverick 88 Security for inexpensive home defense. Better range, better accuracy, better terminal effects, all for less money. Most first timers I take to the range can't reliably hit a B27 target at 25 yards with a pistol, but can knock clays out of the sky.

nickknutson:

Right now is not a good time to buy an AR. They're flying off the shelves and many of the shops that have some left are seriously price gouging. Better to wait until after Christmas when many of those guns will go right back to the gun shops on consignment to pay off debts. Of the major manufacturers though, Stag is one of the the better bet for a lower priced AR ($700's). A bit higher up and Colt's 6920 (~ $1200-1400) is the standard by which all M4 style AR's are measured.

Cinders:

Both are good, reliable pistols and it's really down to what fits you best. They're also commonly available (well, DA/SA version for the CZ), so the best option would be to visit your local gun shop and find which one feels better to you. Even better if you can get some trigger time with them.

I'd be a bit wary of buying either one sight unseen though, even in NIB condition. The 92 doesn't not work well with smaller hands as the grip is rather thick and it's a long reach to the trigger. The Vertec variant is a bit better in this regard, and the Type M variant (single stack) is much better. On the other hand, CZs feature considerably rougher machining than Berettas and I've run into some with particularly terrible triggers. They work, but are overly rough and gritty.

Nov 12, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #727 of 1,730
im quite a bad shot and shot my dad before but it was fortunately with a pellet gun. it ricocheted off a rock or something and hit his face. i thought i had blinded him. my mate in the army shot many people he said.

i think my dad owns an old 18c rifle. or did, i would have seen it if it is still in the house (it had better not be as i think it is banned). my granddad had a veritable gun locker on his ranch. i went down there many times and learned to almost shoot a can from a close distance.

Nov 12, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #728 of 1,730
leftnose and Old Pa:

Thanks for the recommendations! I was thinking a 9mm semi-auto was probably going to be the easier pistol but looks like both recommendations are for a S&W .38 special. I'll have my dad look that way. Thanks again!

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #729 of 1,730
Thanks marvin.

I have pretty big hands so I'm not too worried about the 92fs but I will definitely try to get my hands on both of them before making a decision.

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:09 AM Post #730 of 1,730
I am very partial to 45 acp, being shot out of a 1911 style firearm. It has been a while since I purchased a 45 but the Norinco was a very good piece at an atractive price.

If you do get a 45 have a gunsmith go over it for fit. Specifically I am talking aobut a flat back or round. I shoot better w/ the flat back (spring cover).

But as a first piece and one w/ low maintenance nothing beat a 38 spl wheelgun.

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:25 AM Post #731 of 1,730
ARs and M4geries are going to have high price tags, and I doubt they'll go down much. Considering the current makeup of the you-know-what, the fears of a resurgent AWB are spinning out of control amongst my gun-nerd friends.

Hopefully if it rears its ugly head, it'll leave milsurp alone. History is awesome and guns are awesome. It's even more awesome when you have both history and guns in one!

Nov 13, 2008 at 1:53 AM Post #732 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinders /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyways I think I've narrowed my choice down to either a Beretta 92FS or a CZ-75B SA.

I have never fired a CZ-75, but its ergometrics seem to draw back to an HP-35. The Hi-Power has great ergometrics, but does not like +P or +P+ loads or to feed many hollowpoints; best with hardball. Since 9mm Para requires effective expanding bullets to be a stopper, this is limiting. Maybe the CZ-75 fixed this.

A number of years ago, I was queer to get a new handgun, so I borrowed a M92 and a P7 and put several hundred rounds through both of them. Both functioned fine, but no thank you, for me. The M92 was a counterintuitive club for me, and the P7 was just weird as to trigger and sights. My $.02.

Nov 13, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #733 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by synaesthetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ARs and M4geries are going to have high price tags, and I doubt they'll go down much. Considering the current makeup of the you-know-what, the fears of a resurgent AWB are spinning out of control amongst my gun-nerd friends.

Hopefully if it rears its ugly head, it'll leave milsurp alone. History is awesome and guns are awesome. It's even more awesome when you have both history and guns in one!

Stuff like this is why prices will go down... The market is just too hot right now. If a honest to goodness recession starts, people are going to find out in January that the $1500 wonderblaster they picked up this month would go a long ways to paying their car note...

As for milsurps, they're probably the most vulnerable thing out there. US milsurps are drying up and funding may be touch and go with Dems in power. Foreign milsurps are just one Executive Order away from vanishing, much like Norincos. It shouldn't be too high of a priority though since few of those fall under any "assault weapon" definition.

edit:

Haven't posted a gun in a while, so here's my current AR. 16" pencil barrel with carbine gas on a CavArms MKII polymer receiver. Sight package is an Aimpoint T1 with fixed irons. As pictured, it weighs in at just under 7 lbs with a loaded magazine. Sold off the other AR last week to fund my Marlin 1895 Guide Gun setup...

IMG_0073.jpg

Nov 13, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #734 of 1,730
Of my five ARs (3 colts, a JP/DPMS custom, and a carbon Bushy, all post-ban), only the JP/DPMS custom cost me more than a grand. Granted, with triggers, optics, and other gunsmithing, all would have FMVs higher than that now. But $1300, $1500, $2,000 for some stock model AR means that the current buyer is just giving the difference in money away. And most of these guns are not going to get shot enough to make their owners even half way competent. Just nuts.

Nov 13, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #735 of 1,730
Howa Varminter Supreme .308 in a Bell and Carlson stock. I had the horrible, stock bolt knob milled off and threaded. It was replaced with the one in the photo.

Range fun, 50 rounds and my shoulder's done.

Howa.jpg

Howa-bolt.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back