Gun-Fi
Mar 2, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #1,234 of 1,732

Quote:
So I'm contemplating adding a Sig 226 Elite Dark ultimately in .357 for PD.  Thoughts anyone?

Count me in the crowd that doesn't see the point in non-traditional calibers.  Why not just get a 226 in 9mm?  When you need additional punch, use +P+ ammo.  The 226 is a wonderful firearm, tho.

Mar 2, 2011 at 1:55 PM Post #1,235 of 1,732

Quote:
Count me in the crowd that doesn't see the point in non-traditional calibers.  Why not just get a 226 in 9mm?  When you need additional punch, use +P+ ammo.  The 226 is a wonderful firearm, tho.

I already have 2 9mm's.  Glock 19 and HK USP.  This would be my 'bedside rig'.  
wink.gif
  Even in +P+ the 9mm can't match the ballistics of the .357 from the numbers I've seen.  Plus you have extra considerations when you step up to +P+ compared to using the standard, intended cartridge.

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #1,236 of 1,732
Having 2 9mms says to me you're better off with another 9mm, not another caliber.  And theoretical ballistics are better on .357sig, but real world, it's still a pistol, and 9mm works really well.  If you need more, you get .45, and otherwise, you're just spending a lot of money on ammunition with no real world benefits.

And I guarantee the sig and the usp can both handle +P+ with no trouble.

Mar 2, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #1,237 of 1,732

Quote:
Having 2 9mms says to me you're better off with another 9mm, not another caliber.  And theoretical ballistics are better on .357sig, but real world, it's still a pistol, and 9mm works really well.  If you need more, you get .45, and otherwise, you're just spending a lot of money on ammunition with no real world benefits.

And I guarantee the sig and the usp can both handle +P+ with no trouble.

Yeah, originally I wanted a 220 in .45 but the .357 ballistics and just the added capacity was appealling.  But I could swap for the .40 and 9mm w/ the same 226 by rolling barrels and mags.  The 220 limits me to 45 and 9 but the 226 gets me 9, 40, 357.   I'm not concerned w/ the caliber so much as the firearm itself.  I plan on having conversions handy for the 226 so I would likely toss 9mm down range most of the time and swap over for carry or home use.  I'm already screwed for ammo costs anyway by having to stock .50AE.  
wink_face.gif

I guess I'm more concerned over reports about QC going down since they started making them in the US about 5 years ago.  Also some don't like the idea of the more elevated bore axis compared to the USP.  Just wondering if anyone had thoughts along those lines or some other considerations.

Edit - Are you sure about the USP 9mm handling +P+?  I know the frame is less sturdy than the .45 USP.  I tend to like my safety margins in engineering rather large.  
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #1,238 of 1,732

From page 21 of the HK USP Operator's Manual:

In compliance with NIJ Standard-01 1 2.00, currently there are no known ammunition types that meet the general guidelines set forth in this section that are not compatible with the USP 9mm, USP .40, or USP .45 pistols. All USP pistols are approved for use with +P and +P+ ammunition. The use of +P and +P+ ammunition does accelerate wear and reduce the service life on the component parts of any pistol, including the USP.

Mar 2, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #1,239 of 1,732

Quote:

From page 21 of the HK USP Operator's Manual:

In compliance with NIJ Standard-01 1 2.00, currently there are no known ammunition types that meet the general guidelines set forth in this section that are not compatible with the USP 9mm, USP .40, or USP .45 pistols. All USP pistols are approved for use with +P and +P+ ammunition. The use of +P and +P+ ammunition does accelerate wear and reduce the service life on the component parts of any pistol, including the USP.

Thx for that.  I know any caliber conversions on the USP are not supported by HK which was one of my concerns about using +P+.  That clears it up nicely.  Been almost 20 years since I read the manual, lol.

Mar 2, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #1,240 of 1,732

9mm LUGER; 7,62; .357SIG; 10mmAUTO; .40S&W; .45GAP; .50AE; all we need is a .44 magnum in this comparison!

Mar 2, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #1,244 of 1,732

Users who are viewing this thread

Back