Gun-Fi
Jul 16, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #406 of 1,730
Love my new Springfield XD 45ACP!
evil_smiley.gif

IMG_6618.jpg

IMG_6625.jpg

Jul 16, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #407 of 1,730
The Ruger I was looking at is the Mini-14 Target, but at an msrp of $895 (scope sold separately) it doesn't quite fit my "reasonable" requirement. I'll look into the Sako Tikka. I'm left handed too, so that presents some issues with bolt action rifles apparently, nice to see the Tikka comes in a left handed version.

Edit: the T3 Super Varmint has an msrp of $1425. Which version should I be looking at?

Jul 16, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #409 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMG_6625.jpg

I just sold mine yesterday, makes me miss it.[/QUOTE]

It is a realy nice piece. Feels great in the hand and shoots very well.

Jul 16, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #410 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jenny.jpg

Maggie.jpg

my family in norway raised championship gordan setters for bird hunting; now my great-aunt has died of cancer, my great-uncle is blind and living on his own in the big old house and only one old gordan left; i dearly wish i could have had them get me a puppy before; they were such wonderful dogs; but alas wouldn't have been able to care for them in socal; in later life, i'd like to breed and train them myself, somewhere with a lot more space
smily_headphones1.gif
i feel ya

also, in that house, there were rifles and shotguns everywhere, but the culture is not flippant or violent when it comes to guns; america is so rambo-confused; i can't say i'm terribly conservative about gun restrictions in this country; i know that if i started doing more backcountry backpacking and cross country skiing, i would carry a pistol; i've come upon bears several times, as well as a mountain lion and moose (i seem to have bad luck with meeting big animals-see avatar
wink.gif
) i carry bear-spray (big can of pepper spray basically), but if i were doing a lot of backcountry hiking, especially somewhere like alaska, i'd certainly be carrying a pistol as well; anyway, i feel that mosty i'm confused about whether or not more gun regulation would mean less gun violence in america; indeed, it's the person that is dangerous, but the difference between a crazy person with a gun and a crazy person with a knife is quite immense

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #411 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my family in norway raised championship gordan setters for bird hunting; now my great-aunt has died of cancer, my great-uncle is blind and living on his own in the big old house and only one old gordan left;

Gordons are a wonderful breed, one of the first I looked at over 20 years ago. But the Gordons around here are show stock and the breeders only want to sell young adults after they can see they won't show well. I like to get my girls young as pups so we can bond. Thanks for your kind words.

I think it's perfectly normal to be confused about firearms in this country, what with the level of misinformation and stridency that's out there. I wouldn't dream of shooting a wild animal in self defense unless there was clearly no alternative. It's much better to be aware of your surroundings in the woods and to respect all the other normal residents of the outback. It's perfectly fine to not know about something like firearms or firearms policy or laws, the trouble always seems to come with those who have great confidence in what they can not possibly know.

Jul 17, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #412 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by AuroraProject /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I shot some different stuff today. I fired a 12 gauge for the first time (recoil was much less than I was anticipating), did some clay pigeon shooting (I actually hit a few!), shot a 10mm handgun, and a 22 cal assault rifle. I want to get a rifle now, something I can mount a scope on and do some target shooting. Preferably something small caliber and reasonably priced (rifle & ammo). Any recommendations?

Edit: and I live in California, so it has to be legal here.

A friend has recommended a Ruger Mini-14 Target in .223 or a Walther G22.

I might suggest a .17HMR

its a rim fire so its cheap, well around $.20 per round
and you can get out to 100 without a prob, basicaly flat
and 200 if you want to
mostly paper punching unless your into rabbits and the such
I love mine

Jul 18, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #413 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by phergus_25 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might suggest a .17HMR

its a rim fire so its cheap, well around $.20 per round
and you can get out to 100 without a prob, basicaly flat
and 200 if you want to
mostly paper punching unless your into rabbits and the such
I love mine

Also "Ideal" for fox sunning on a winter day if you are very patient and stealthy. A well placed shot leaves Minimal to zero damage. I've personally never performed the stalk but have Glassed a buddie several times and enjoyed his art of sneaking up within range, which can very greatly depending on his belly crawl & wait mood. It isn't easy to outfox a fox.
wink.gif

If anyone ever has the opportunity to watch someone in thier zone doing this, don't pass it up. I don't know how many times the fox will raise it's head knowing something isn't right, and stare right at the hunter (dressed in white blending in perfectly with the snow) only to tuck his nose back into his body for a restful snooze.

Aug 7, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #416 of 1,730
There seems to be some ammunition price increases coming shortly. I’ve read there’s a 30% price increase coming in September? Might want to check it out and stock up if you can.

I just ordered 2 cases of 9mm for my P7 M8.

Mitch

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:35 PM Post #419 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Pa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wonder if he even hit the barn once.
eek.gif

quite possible... it's only a 9mm and he's got a shoulder stock which helps to control recoil...

Aug 7, 2007 at 12:51 PM Post #420 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
quite possible... it's only a 9mm and he's got a shoulder stock which helps to control recoil...

But look at the gun handling technique: clumsie manipulation, failure to use sights, lack of trigger and fire control. This is just "spray and pray".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back