Gun-Fi
Jun 28, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #376 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by rreynol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ordered one of these earlier this week. Can't wait to take delivery of it.

I sure like my MP9; reliable and accurate. With thirty-five caliber guns for self defense, however, you are banking on the terminal performance of the bullet much more than with a .45. Did you get the night sights?

Jun 28, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #377 of 1,730
Big fan of the MK9. It's fun to shoot, easy to carry, relatively low recoil, and mine's been very reliable. A lot like a 7 shot J-frame with a very nice trigger.

img4180lb0.jpg

My discrete rig. Kahr MK9, Smartcarry, Kershaw Leek in ZDP189/Ti.

Jun 30, 2007 at 4:44 AM Post #382 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by braillediver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's an amazing video of a very lucky guy. Lucky to be alive it would seem.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8d0_1183090807

It looks like the round ricocheted off the ground in front of the shooter on its way back.

Be careful guys.

Mitch

I'm sure there's a lesson in there for all of us. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go out back and shoot at these big flat rocks.

Jun 30, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #383 of 1,730
Quote:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8d0_1183090807

It looks like the round ricocheted off the ground in front of the shooter on its way back.

Be careful guys.

Mitch

The story behind it:

Quote:

Originally Posted by madogre.com
Willie, the father of Tina, who made the sandbag rests fires a .50BMG, an Armalite AR-50 and it ricochets off of a steel plate that it should have easily penetrated. The bullet comes straight back and hits him in the head. You can see it hit the dirt about 15 feet in front on him before it clobbers him. Luckily he was uninjured. He's a bit sore today, but otherwise fine. Lucky lucky person. He has been advised to buy lottery tickets while he still has so much luck. I don't know about the timing, but you can hear the hit on the steel plate. Time that till the impact on Willie's head... how fast is that 750 grain slug traveling? The range is 100 yards. Amazing.

Bullets don't always behave like you'd expect...

Jun 30, 2007 at 12:16 PM Post #384 of 1,730
Quote:

You cannot make this stuff up. Firing a .50 at steel at 100yds?! Those bullets just do not deform. I loved the whistle of the ricocheting slug. That was some good dust it kicked up before it hit Bubba. One less bounce and he would have been toast. This guy deserves an dishonorable mention for the Darwin Awards. Now I think I'll go out and shoot at some bottles and cans floating on a lake . . .
eek.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

A lot like a 7 shot J-frame with a very nice trigger.

My sentiments exactly. My MP9 is parked in a drawer upstairs next to my Model 38; hard to choose between them.

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #385 of 1,730
This has been a pretty big two weeks for me as a rifle shooter. On top of last week’s highly enjoyable Prairie Dog trip to South Dakota, this week saw rifle projects progress unequaled. Imagine getting not one but two esoteric headphone/amp projects begun and successfully completed with wildly successful results in one week and you will have an idea.

On Monday, I ordered the Vais for the Tikka T3 and took the Remington 700 VSF with the new parts over to my gunsmith. Tuesday was very hot and Wednesday started cooling down around here, so I spent my time paying my dues for last week out of town; besides working, I managed to put away gear, cleaned house, made a big pot of corn and crab chowder (yum-yum
biggrin.gif
), mowed grass and the Vais arrived for the Tikka.

Thursday dawned a beautiful and seasonable cool and sunny June morning, so it was out to the range with the Tikka to see its accuracy potential. With the 50 grain BlitzKing loads that will be its PD fodder, the Tikka shot bugholes! Little bitty sub half minute groups. Can’t wait to see what the Tikka does with heavier bullets. Came home to a voice mail message that the Remington .243AI was done. Ran over and picked it up and dropped off the Tikka and its Vais to have them married up.

Back to the range Friday morning with the Remington .243AI for barrel break in and to fireform some new factory .243Win to the .243AI chamber. And even during barrel break in, the Remington shot bugholes, too! Back home to receive another voice mail that the Tikka was ready as well. Hot damn!

243AI_Tikka.jpg

So here are to two completed varmint rifles. The Remington runs 12.75# and the Tikka weighs in at 7.8#. Remington wears a Leupold 8-24x50mm LRT with varmint hunter’s reticle. Tikka has a Leupold 6.5-20x40mm with duplex reticle. The stainless Shilen Match Select barrel on the Remington finished out at 27.5”

243AIVAIS.jpg

Here’s the fit and finish on the Remington’s bead blasted Shilen stainless barrel and Vais. Is that kustom or what?!
biggrin.gif

TikkaVAIS.jpg

Here’s how the bead blasted stainless micro Vais looks on the Tikka T3. Made for each other!

RemBolt.jpg

Here’s the Remington’s modified bolt face; trued and fitted with a Sako style claw extractor. Action is smooth as silk. Timney trigger breaks clean at two and a half pounds. The barrel channel also had to be opened up for the new tube and the action was glass bedded.

243v243AI.jpg

A comparison of the a standard .308Win case on the left with the wildcat .243 Ackley Improved case. Different calibers on the same case, but the shoulder and wall change should be clear. The walls of the .243AI are blown out and straightened and the shoulder is sharper. This gives both greater case capacity and reduced case stretch. The sharper shoulder also causes the case to have better propellant burning characteristics and improves efficiency.

308Group.jpg

Friday morning’s confidence builder group at 100 yards. Shot with my Remington 700 VS in .308Win, this cold barrel 5 shot group demonstrated to me how well I was shooting and that I might have confidence in groups I was shooting with the other new rifle. That is a 3/4 inch black paster dot. Without the first cold barrel round, the group in sub 3/8ths of an inch. Any of these shots would do your average cerebral cortex out to 300 yards.

243AIGroup.jpg

An interesting group from barrel break in on the .243AI at 100 yards. You may have heard how the first bullet from a cleaned barrel has a different striking point from the subsequent shots. In this case for ten shots I was cleaning and firing two shots and then cleaning again. You see there are two circled groups. The first clean barrel shot of each two grouped on the left. The second fouled barrel shot in each string grouped on the right. Voila!

Friday on the last string of the day. Firing .243Win cases for fire forming, mind you, the .243AI hit the two inch steel gong at 395 yards six out of ten shots with moderately variable cross winds. That's a target less than 1/2 MOA at 395 yards! I think this rifle will do!
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #386 of 1,730
"Impressive" doesn't come close in defining the rifles accuracy, and your skills as a marksman. Unbelievable but true comes a little closer, very very nice, and now I must ask if you are but one of a group of friends that regularly enjoy results like that? Wow. You must be a very patient individual Old Pa to say the least.
Oh and this past week? We experienced some of the most perfect days to enjoy the outdoors. I hope there are many many more we can all enjoy this summer.
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #387 of 1,730
Hey Old Pa -

That's some nice shooting...

My Rheumy Mk I Mod I EyeBall sez that might be a .308 shell you have sitting beside the .243AI, but the illustration still holds. The necks do not appear to be the same diameter.

I am gonna inherit my dad's best gun when he checks out, so I am not wishing it to happen soon. It is a .35 Rem AI, made on P.O. Ackleys actual machines, by his personally trained apprentice, now Gunsmith, Chick Donnelly. It is a great gun, pretty in every way. I have admired it, but never fired it.

Looks like you are facing a full summer of fun, breaking in and finding favorite fodder for two guns. I'm Jealous!

Jul 1, 2007 at 12:01 PM Post #388 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by inthused /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Impressive" doesn't come close in defining the rifles accuracy, and your skills as a marksman. Unbelievable but true comes a little closer, very very nice, and now I must ask if you are but one of a group of friends that regularly enjoy results like that? Wow. You must be a very patient individual Old Pa to say the least.
Oh and this past week? We experienced some of the most perfect days to enjoy the outdoors. I hope there are many many more we can all enjoy this summer.
biggrin.gif

You are too kind, but there are plenty of folks I know who shoot better than this. The 1000 yard benchrest record is down around 2" right now.
eek.gif
This is just as far as I can see to practically take it. As for patience, tell that to SWMBO and she'll have a good laugh.
Quote:

Originally Posted by KYTGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Old Pa -

That's some nice shooting...

My Rheumy Mk I Mod I EyeBall sez that might be a .308 shell you have sitting beside the .243AI, but the illustration still holds. The necks do not appear to be the same diameter.

I am gonna inherit my dad's best gun when he checks out, so I am not wishing it to happen soon. It is a .35 Rem AI, made on P.O. Ackleys actual machines, by his personally trained apprentice, now Gunsmith, Chick Donnelly. It is a great gun, pretty in every way. I have admired it, but never fired it.

Looks like you are facing a full summer of fun, breaking in and finding favorite fodder for two guns. I'm Jealous!

You're right, it's a .308. Same case and when I went back to shoot that shot again with a tripod and not handheld, I must have grabbed from the wrong bin. Damn, I hate it when that happens.
mad.gif
Still, the comparison of shoulder angle and blown out wall holds.

Sounds like your Dad's rifle is a real keeper. I understand and agree completely about not wanting to come into title for it, but that's one of the ways out traditional common values gets passed on.

You guys should stop by. We'll go shootin'!
biggrin.gif

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:16 PM Post #389 of 1,730
Here's a little something I whipped together:

FullCompletedRifle_500.jpg

Action: Remington 700 PSS
Barrel: Remington 700 PSS
Trigger: Remington 700 PSS
Stock: McMillan A4 Tactical
Base & Rings: Badger Ordnance
Scope: Leupold Mark 14 M1 16X
Bipod: Harris Notched (now removed)
Bolt Knob: Badger Ordnance Tactical
Bottom Metal: Badger Ordnance
Bedding: None (yet)
Weight as Pictured: 14 lbs

Jul 1, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #390 of 1,730
Old Pa- where do you think the third round out of the fouled barrel would have gone? Would it stabilize near the second?

I've seen the flyers from the first shot of a Da/Sa but found the clean and fouled shot interesting.

I hadn't considered the Confidence Builder shots but it makes perfect sense.

I love your methodical approach. I think it’s great when people are passionate about things- almost regardless of what they are passionate about. I know a few people who have no known passions and I can’t relate to them.

Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back