Guitar Gods: Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, ..
Apr 16, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #166 of 203
I havent read all through this thread since its massive, but as a guitarist here is who i find amazing.

Jimi Hendrix (obvious)
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Tommy Emmanuel
Paco De Lucia
Slash
Richie Sambora

Apr 17, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #167 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamCalifornia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dear Head-fi'er,

With all due respect to you let me ask you very politely and tactfully the following question.

Have you aleady had your daily dose of beer of something much stronger?
This is only the 'Guitar Gods...' thread and not the 'Greatest Vocalists ...' thread!
confused.gif

P.S.
Yes I dared to put John Fogerty on my extended list in my original post #1:
...Greatest Vocalists....
I like his voice, but because this is Creedence Clearwater Revival it is perhaps polically incorrect
to mention his name. To me, he had got a great voice back then ....
He had a thunderous and a very powerful voice.
icon10.gif

No man. To me, he's a guitar god. If his voice was thunder, then his licks were lightning.

Apr 17, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #168 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by jhendri2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Joe's Garage and it's a good album. Maybe I just don't know how to appreciate his music. Steve Vai made an album Flexible that was heavily influenced by Zappa, due to their working together, but it's just strange. Steve Vai was obviously influenced by his working with Zappa, but I think he took it beyond what Zappa could produce.

Jim

Joe's Garage is not a Zappa guitar album, except for Watermelon in Easter Hay.

On the Zappa albums that Vai played on, his instrument is listed as impossible guitar. Tells you what Zappa thought of him.

Apr 17, 2007 at 5:29 AM Post #169 of 203
Zappa

Apostrophe - the song that first got me into Zappa, trio with Jack Bruce and Jay Gordon - title track from the album Apostrophe which has some great guitar solos mixed in with novelty songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O6NUhG6IdE

Black Napkins - guitar solo from Zoot Alures album - solo starts about 3 minutes into the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJA1nRMyVxI

RDNZL - rehearsal in Austrailia in the early 70's with Jean-Luc Ponty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MFjE5RQFF8

Watermelon in Easter Hay - from Joe's Garage and one of the Shut up and Play Your Guitar Cds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-T5ZdbRbacQ

Steve Vai on his audition for Zappa
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6cplMM3d_Q

Apr 17, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #170 of 203
SirVesseur
Quote:

John Frusciante from teh red hot chili peppers.
BB King

With all due respect to BB King. But can he really play guitar like the legends?. Has he done any fantastic solos in any of his albums?

Apr 17, 2007 at 11:11 AM Post #171 of 203
Quote:

Can Ritchie wipe the floor up with those three guitarists?

If yes, then neither of them is a Guitar God or Virtuoso!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Although I'm a BLUES fan instead of a real rock fan, I think the rock guitarists play more virtuous than the BLUES guitarists.
eek.gif

But then the BLUES guitarists play more often with more feeling...
plainface.gif

This could become an never ending discussion, if it isn't allready...
evil_smiley.gif

Imo BB has that thing he does with his wrist, wich is great, but I think he is somewhat limited compared to some other guitarists.
rolleyes.gif

But he is a fantastic performer on stage, even in his 80's!
wink.gif

Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are two guitarists that I heard stuff of wich is absolutely mind boggling imo, but I don't like the music...
plainface.gif

Stevie Ray is great!
biggrin.gif

But I've heard other "unknown" gitarists do what he did...
very_evil_smiley.gif

That doesn't make what he did less impressive, but still...
confused.gif

Now I'm confused...
frown.gif

Apr 17, 2007 at 12:34 PM Post #172 of 203
Lol botching, ur kidding about BB King I hope.
BB King basically only plays solos and very tasteful ones at that. Not to mention that he can sing some beautiful blues too.

I think the whole "guitar god" thing is a bit irrelevant to be polite. Firstly, all these players have a unique voice and express themselves in their own way, and none is the lesser player.
Satriani may be more technical and I certainly love his electric playing a lot, but he wont sound/play like BB King, and BB King will never sound/play like Satriani. Van Halen wont sound/play like Wes Montgomery and Malmsteen wont sound/play like Mark Knopfler and vice versa.
Yet, each of these artists express themselves in their own genres in their own ways and comparing them like athletes is a bit pointless. Its not a flashy guitar olympics
wink.gif

And if you really want to see godly playing and improvising, then you could do worse than checking out Joe Pass, Jim Hall, Tal Farlow, Johnny Smith, Jimmy Bruno or flamenco masters like Paco de Lucia or Pepe Habichueala, to mention a few.

You wont find them on the cover of Guitar Player magazine, put they would make many of the "gods" mentioned here blush.

Just my 2 cents.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #173 of 203
musicmind
Quote:

Lol botching, ur kidding about BB King I hope.
BB King basically only plays solos and very tasteful ones at that. Not to mention that he can sing some beautiful blues too.

I also hope i'm kidding but im not.It seems he knows just the basic blues chords and can never perform solos like garry moore, SRV and even the likes albert king! Oh well maybe i'm not just into his very simple style of blues playing.

Apr 17, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #174 of 203
Apr 18, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #175 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by botching /img/forum/go_quote.gif
musicmind

I also hope i'm kidding but im not.It seems he knows just the basic blues chords and can never perform solos like garry moore, SRV and even the likes albert king! Oh well maybe i'm not just into his very simple style of blues playing.

Hi

To his own admission, BB doesnt know chords too well and isnt the most schooled guitarist. He isnt a virtuoso or a "chops" player like Gary Moore or SRV and cant match that level of speed or technical ability, but BB manages to communicate the blues in his own way.
I'm not a big fan of BB (or blues for that matter) but I can see he has an uniqueness about his phrasing and vibrato that is instantly recognisable.
And thats basically my issue with chosing guitar gods, it rewards technical wizards more than subtle players who are also great musicians.

Thanks for the Tibbetts links
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 10:30 AM Post #176 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by musicmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi

To his own admission, BB doesnt know chords too well and isnt the most schooled guitarist. He isnt a virtuoso or a "chops" player like Gary Moore or SRV and cant match that level of speed or technical ability, but BB manages to communicate the blues in his own way.

x2
wink.gif

Except that I LOVE the BLUES!
rs1smile.gif

Apr 18, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #178 of 203
Quote:

I propose to call BB King a retired God.

rs1smile.gif
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #179 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by GlendaleViper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No man. To me, he's a guitar god. If his voice was thunder, then his licks were lightning.

Here is what I've found:

Gillan matches riffs from Blackmore's guitar so perfectly that you'd almost swear
there are two guitars playing the same notes. Screaming or singing his dynamics,
phrasing and colour are hard to equal ...

From Chicago Sun-Times, Januarry 1972

blink.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #180 of 203
J.J. Cale (sounds like a more laid-back Clapton in both singing and guitar)

The Who's Peter Townshend

Red Hot Chili Peppers - John Frusciante. I went to a concert at the end of last year and was incredible.

Audioslave/Soundgarden: Chris Cornell

Dire Straits: Mark Knopfler

Users who are viewing this thread

Back