Guitar-fi: help me pick a guitar/headphone amp
Sep 11, 2007 at 3:52 AM Post #31 of 48
I have another question for Guitar-Fi.

A long time ago I was told by several people that there are huge advantages of learning on an Acoustic guitar. Also I was told that if you learn on an Electric guitar, it's a lot harder to move to an Acoustic since they are simply much harder to play.

Is this necessarly true? I'm about to pull the trigger on a Guitar, and really it's the only thing left to decide. I really wish I could get both (a Taylor Big Baby or a <censored>) but reality bites
frown.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #32 of 48
From what I understand is that the only reason that an acoustic is harder to play is that the action (height of the strings from the fingerboard) is higher and usually the gauge of the strings are heavier. So you would need to do additional finger stregthening and dexterity exercises to make your fingers stronger. I actually prefer a little bit heavier string myself as it adds a bit more tone. I use 10-46s on my strat and on my Ibanez Iceman and 11-52s on my Colonel and my Black Falcon.
biggrin.gif

Sep 12, 2007 at 7:52 PM Post #33 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A long time ago I was told by several people that there are huge advantages of learning on an Acoustic guitar. Also I was told that if you learn on an Electric guitar, it's a lot harder to move to an Acoustic since they are simply much harder to play.

Is this necessarly true? I'm about to pull the trigger on a Guitar, and really it's the only thing left to decide. I really wish I could get both (a Taylor Big Baby or a <censored>) but reality bites
frown.gif

I don't think that's true. I started on an electric guitar and moved to acoustic quite easily. I was already used to the string gauge on acoustic guitars when I made the move because I started out on 12's. There really is no right way to learn guitar, so just go with what you feel will be best for you.

Sep 12, 2007 at 11:05 PM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

frown.gif

Posture may have to change slightly, but I think what the people meant was that starting off an electric means you can hide mistakes and inferior fingering behind wads of distortion whereas the acoustic will 'amplify' such deficiencies making them clear as day.

Sep 18, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Posture may have to change slightly, but I think what the people meant was that starting off an electric means you can hide mistakes and inferior fingering behind wads of distortion whereas the acoustic will 'amplify' such deficiencies making them clear as day.

i agree. distortion is the best way to hide that you arent very good at a concert
tongue.gif

Oct 17, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #39 of 48
You guys all suck.
smily_headphones1.gif
I wish I could devote more time to playing. Too many other pursuits in this life. I Love ESP guitars, and Gretsch even more.

Today I only have a lowely Ibanez Artcore to play. I saw it in a store at a time when I had no guitar, and I had to have it based on the color alone.
smily_headphones1.gif

Ibanez-AFS75TD.jpg

GAD

Oct 17, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #40 of 48
That's a really nice Artcore there GAD! I'v been tempted several times to get a similar colored (sea foam green) Fender Strat :p

BTW... that isn't me holding that tobacco sunburst Squire, that's Kenny Wayne Shepherd! Now I need to get some kind of shadowbox to keep it in for a wall display :p

Oct 18, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #41 of 48
I'm also interested in learning, but I have no real idea how to start and what level of dedication and time it might take out of me. I browsed through but this quickly turned into a show off your gear thread and it WAS more about gear, anyway... but any suggestions you have for starting to learn would be awesome.

Oct 18, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #42 of 48
well to be bluntly honest, learning the guitar 'is' about gear, for without any, you will never learn to play
wink.gif

It will also take a lot of dedication. First you have to ask yourself what level of player do you want to be. Then you need to look into the requirements of that level of achievement. Then if you are going to try and teach yourself or take professional lessons. Usually it will take years or many more years. It is definately not something that is learned overnight.
wink.gif

Me personally, I have been teaching myself since April this year and I've bought several instructional DVDs and both the "Principles" and the "Path" from Jamie Andreas' site -> The Principles of Correct Practice For Guitar -> http://www.guitarprinciples.com/ which have helped emmencely

Oct 18, 2007 at 11:34 AM Post #43 of 48
i agree with hermitt, learning guitar takes a lot of dedication. It also takes a lot of patience. i know this because i have been playing guitar seriously for bout 6 months and i still really suck.

btw i am probalby gonna get the valveking. it ran circles around the all of the other amps in the shop. of a similar price.

Oct 18, 2007 at 9:19 PM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by WiredMonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want to be the level of player that instantly makes girls fall on you naked. It seems to work for most of my friends that play, sooo...

That takes about a week if the girl likes punk.

I'm not even kiddding. Look at some of the tabs for bands like Against Me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back