Guitar-fi: help me pick a guitar/headphone amp
Sep 3, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #16 of 48
GAS <- Guitar Aqusition Syndrome. Almost as bad a Upgradeitus, but guitars can get rather expensive and there are literally thousands to choose from. Makes you want them all
blink.gif

I bought my first (Jay Turser Strat) in April of this year (2007) to start to teach myself
SonyT-9023Large.jpg

Then I ran across this Ibanez ADX120 Arondite at a bargan so good it was almost a steal...
P6021914Medium.jpg

Then I picked this Jay Tursser Colonel up on ebay at 1/4 of the retail price...
yhst-84950391269297_1956_17855030.jpg
whitecolonal.jpg

Then fate brought me together with my dream guitar.. The Gretsch.

I still would like to get a true Gibson (not Epiphone) Les Paul Studio with a flamed or quilted top and maybe a telecaster.

I recently read that Joe Bonamassa started collecting his guitars when he was 13 (started playing when he was 4) and just turned 30 this year and has aquired over 150 guitars. Now THATS a bad case of GAS!!!
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #17 of 48
Chu, if the fret buzzing doesn't go away with a good setup, it is most likely a high fret. Whoever does the setup will tell you if it has any high frets. One easy way to deal with it is to raise the action (strings) untill it doesn't buzz any more, or take it to a good guitar tech and have the frets leveled and recrowned. It could also be just a loose fret where the end it sprung and just needs to be seated or glued down.

Sep 4, 2007 at 12:07 AM Post #18 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought my first (Jay Turser Strat) in April of this year (2007) to start to teach myself
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t76/rheyl_photos/SonyT-9023Large.jpg[/IMG

Then I ran across this Ibanez ADX120 Arondite at a bargan so good it was almost a steal...
[IMG]http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t76/rheyl_photos/P6021914Medium.jpg[/IMG

Then I picked this Jay Tursser Colonel up on ebay at 1/4 of the retail price...
[IMG]http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t76/rheyl_photos/yhst-84950391269297_1956_17855030.jpg[/IMG[IMG]http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t76/rheyl_photos/whitecolonal.jpg[/IMG

Then fate brought me together with my dream guitar.. The Gretsch.

I still would like to get a true Gibson (not Epiphone) Les Paul Studio with a flamed or quilted top and maybe a telecaster.[/i]
[/td] [/tr] [/table]

[img]images/smilies/http://hfimage.head-fi.org/smilies/newsmiles/blink.gif All that and not even a year (or five) has passed?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chu, if the fret buzzing doesn't go away with a good setup, it is most likely a high fret. Whoever does the setup will tell you if it has any high frets. One easy way to deal with it is to raise the action (strings) untill it doesn't buzz any more, or take it to a good guitar tech and have the frets leveled and recrowned. It could also be just a loose fret where the end it sprung and just needs to be seated or glued down.

Yes, but ideally you want to avoid raising the action too high as it makes flowing across the fretboard more cumbersome. The strings come in contact with your fingers sooner and for longer meaning a greater likelihood of your fingers inadevertently becoming 'tangled' when releasing and moving away to adjacent strings.

Sep 4, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #19 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by DJShadow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
blink.gif
All that and not even a year (or five) has passed?

Wellll.... I figured that this way, I won't get bored always playing on the same guitar while practicing
blink.gif

The great thing about the hollow bodies is that you don't have to plug them in to hear 'em.
cool.gif

Sep 5, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #20 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by afphreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wow, thats a beauty hermitt!

just went to the back patio to take a couple of pics of my ESP LTD in the sun real quick:
s4300018mn3.jpg

s4300020xn4.jpg

s4300021oy1.jpg

s4300022xj1.jpg

theres some fingerprint smudges on the last pic, guess i should to get a chamois cloth to keep it clean
redface.gif

nice!! Its quite interesting how esp is the new craze at my school
tongue.gif
That guitar looks very similar to an ibz rg. just smoother horns.

My experience with headphones and guitar amps is not good.

ive tried using my little dot as an effect for my guitar amp and it actually works. not quite the tone im looking for though.

btw has anyone here tried lag guitars?

Sep 5, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #21 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

ive tried using my little dot as an effect for my guitar amp and it actually works. not quite the tone im looking for though.

My friend has one of their guitars. It's a French brand. I don't think that it's sold in the US.

Sep 5, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #23 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by nothing101 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
tongue.gif

Thanks! the Ibanex RG was the first guitar i was looking at when i started looking around, but couldnt find any locally, except a really banged up one...
blink.gif

never thought of hooking up my LD2++ to my amp yet, but that sounds interesting, might give it a try this evening...
wink.gif

edit: oooo, page 2, maybe i should change the title of the thread to just "Guitar-fi! Show off your gear!" or something
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 6, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #24 of 48
Ah... GAS; I hope I don't get it.

Hey Hermitt, how is the self teaching going? I'm just starting now and wonder what 6 months practice will do. Any tips? Methinks stick with chords and changes first, then look into tabs.

Sweet guitars there; the quilt top strat looks way cool. Still the Gretsch looks nicest to me.

I'll try to post a pic here of my old "Suzy Creamcheese"

R

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:01 AM Post #25 of 48
I signed up for the free newsletter on the GuitarPrinciples website http://www.guitarprinciples.com/ I've read a bunch of her essays already, and going to buy the Principles and Path set if i ever stop buying guitars long enough to same some money
tongue.gif
I've also collected a bunch of instructional videos and picked up a book with a bunch of scales and exercises in it.

Sep 6, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #26 of 48
If you can try to get an old tube amp preferably a fender. They sound awesome. I've got a 1979 Gibson Les Paul Custom Silverburst and a 1979 Fender Princeton Reverb amp, which I bought both new (now I'm telling my age). The old guitars and tube amps have such a great tone.

Sep 7, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #27 of 48
has anyone tried that guitar pro program? i downloaded the demo last night, and found some tab files off ultimate-guitar, and it looks pretty cool. and coming from years reading sheet music for my tuba, i find it alot easier to understand the tabulation on there instead of how most people write it out...

Sep 9, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #28 of 48
Congrats on the new guitar
smily_headphones1.gif
I love LTD too. I own two - an EX shape and the F type. LTD are the cheaper (ie affordable) spinoffs from ESP. For what you pay, I've found them to be much nicer than an Ibanez equivalent. This was a few years ago though, maybe things have evened up, or changed, but just looking at your guitar, I'd say the standard is still right up there.

I used to sell guitars and have been playing on/off 7 years. First of all, any (solid state) guitar amp up to about 50W will be very useable in a bedroom situation without bugging your family (in a house that isn't titchy small). You wouldn't want much louder anyway. With tube, say 30W, as they are usually louder than a solid state amp rated at the same wattage. The Roland cube is a good little unit, they sold pretty quickly where I used to work. There are better amps for the money though. An amp of this size will be fine until you want to jam with a drummer, then you'll probably have to double the watts (for rock music at least).

patalp is 100% correct. You should definitely take your guitar to a local shop and plug into a Fender tube amp, a Mesa Boogie Rectumfrier (
wink.gif
), a Marshall Valvestate (dodgy tube-a-like solidstate amps), and also a Peavey. Basically try out as many as you can, all price ranges, solidstate and tube. Make sure you bring YOUR guitar, and don't use one from the shop, it's irrelevant what a guitar sounds like with an amp, if it's not the guitar you'll actually use with the amp. Make sure u know what the amp is when u try it, and compare directly if u can. A good salesman will let you. Guitars/amps/effects are even MORE personal preference than Head-Fi stuff, because while it's good to have a rig that will make you sound like Metallica or whatever your fave band is, it's MORE important that the rig gives you some freedom of tone to play around and hopefully come up with a sound you really like.

When you try the amps, make sure you don't just set the guitar to the bridge pickup and forget about it - pickup choice is a HUGE thing to give variation in tone. On a (in the grand scheme of things) treble heavy guitar like most of the ESPs/Jacksons/Ibanez, you'll probably want to use the middle position of the pickups, so you get a bit more body into the signal you're feeding the amp. Otherwise everything will sound more trebly and gutless compared to what the amp can really do. On the other hand, Fenders, Gibsons and Gretsches will be the opposite, they have a very full/warm sound, and (all other things equal) will portray amps as being warm compared with your guitar plugged in.

Make sure you test how loud the amp can go without breaking up (although bare in mind that some are designed to break up smoothly with harder picked notes, ie tube amps). Also, since you are going to be playing in a bedroom situation, play for a while at bedroom volumes and check it sounds "fun" etc... Many amps are designed to run within 50>70% of their volume range to really "open up", just as some headphones and amps seem to perform better up louder/quieter. I have a 100W amp in my room, and when played quietly it sucks. Played loudly (as I do), it comes into its own.

Yep, the Pods and those other units are all pretty nice. Personally, I bought just one distortion box I loved the sound of, and learnt as much as I could for the first 2.5 years before getting a Boss GT6 and being done with it (but the distortion on it bites compared to tube and even my amps built in distortion).

If you buy a multieffect straight away, you could just be presented with so many options that you don't know how to use them all properly in combination and might throw your hands up in disgust, I saw so many ppl do that lol. If you DO get something, I'd suggest one of the entry level BOSS multi-effects.

If you can tell the difference between (solidstate) SS and tube and refuse to use SS, you might have to use a convoluted setup with a multieffects to retain tube overdrive and use it in combination with the digital effects. Last time I looked, several of the multi-effects units claimed to have tube or tubelike distortion built in, but they were all a joke. If you want tube sound, you'll really need a tube amp, or at the very minimum there are one or two stomp boxes which do/did it well. Or you can get a unit like the Boss GT6 which has a FX out/return which can be used in combo with a tube amp.

Also, I didn't check out your guitar on the LTD site, but if it has passive or active pickups, that will make a pretty big difference too. I'm gonna take a wild guess you like metal/rock, so the guitar is a good choice. Especially if it has active pickups.

RE the guy who asked about fret buzz: 1) get it setup by a pro. Should take 30 mins maximum. 2) Some cheaper electric guitars will always buzz unless you set the action unplayably high through bridge/saddle/neck adjustments. Some guitars like Jackson/Ibanez are also purposefully setup really low so the guitarist can play faster, at the cost of having a bit of buzz. In a loud concert environment this isn't really a cost though.

BTW: Changing the strings on a Floyd-rose licensed (pretty sure your's isn't a real Floyd-rose, but it hardly matters these days) is a "fun" experience lol.

By the way, unless you wish to damage your hearing, I REALLY recommend against practising guitar using headphones under any condition. In my opinion, guitars output a very specific frequency range that is much more narrow than music. If you ever see a mixer's desk and dial out everything but the guitar, more often than not the majority of the signal only ranges from ~100Hz to ~a few kHz. There is the tendency to turn up the amp/headphones to try and fill out the sound, and you'll kill your ears. Also, I wouldn't use any "hifi" style headphones to plug into a guitar amp. When I hear un-compressed, un-limited guitar sound with volume spikes all over the shop, through "nice" headphones, I cringe and wonder if it's having some ill effects on the cans.
It may have no real effect, but I don't do it anyway , mostly because I believe: headphones + raw guitar = deafness.

Check out:
http://www.harmony-central.com/
http://www.guitarstuff.com/lessons/lessons.html
http://www.guitargeek.com

And don't feel that you need to get lessons to get better. There's heaps of stuff on youtube and free online. However, if you ever experience pain while playing, you may well be using poor positioning, so maybe ask a friend who plays, they will most likely point out what you're doing wrong (trying to learn Master of Puppets as your first song will do it
wink.gif
).

Whoops... I forgot how much I enjoyed telling people the ins and outs of their first guitar
smily_headphones1.gif
But now I can see why some kids just had a stunned look on their face and just relied on what I recommended they buy
smily_headphones1.gif
I like to think I gave good advice though lol

Guitar Pro is OK, although a lot of the tabs on the net aren't very good/accurate, and should only be used as a starting point. It erks me when someone has tabbed out a song in completely the wrong tuning. You'll learn a LOT if you try to work stuff out for yourself once you feel confident.

Since you can read music, that'll make guitar easier to learn. It's all just maths. And just remember, if it sounds good, it IS good. Same as with Head-Fi, but MORE so, because it's ALL personal taste, sometimes awful distortion is the desired effect in cookie monster rawwwwk n rawwwwwwwwwl hahah \m/

Sep 10, 2007 at 11:59 PM Post #30 of 48
Thanks BDK, Yes, the Black Falcon is a dream come true for me. It is like the Ultimate guitar. Anf you know... except for a slight bit of fret wear, you would 'never' guess that this is a 15 year old guitar! I mean, it looks brand spanking new. And just sounds so sweet. Yesterday, I took it over to my neighbor that has been playing guitar for about 30 years so we could plug it into his Fender Deluxe Reverb all tube amp, and he was just blown away with how rich the sound is. He also told me that he is impressed with how much I've learned with my playing in only a few months time. So that made me feel good about my progress
biggrin.gif

I read somewhere while drooling over Gretsch Falcons for the last 2 months or so that the White/Black Falcon is the 'Holy Grail' of guitars for many people, and I believe it !
tongue.gif
I've been trying to track down some history on this one, because it is production #26, made in Feb of '92 (pre Fender) and is a double cutaway that seems to be quite elusive. I could very well have a rare bird on my hands
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back