Guitar-fi: help me pick a guitar/headphone amp
Sep 1, 2007 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

afphreak

100+ Head-Fier
i figured it was better to post this in here instead of the actual headphone amp forum... soooooo...here goes:

i've been wanting to learn guitar for a while now, couple of years now actually, and this month, after reading thru a good bit of Jahn's "Curse you head-fi thread," drooling over his collection, i think i'm ready to take the plunge.
very_evil_smiley.gif
[size=xx-small](Curse you Jahn!)[/size]

i think i've got a lock on what i want, and i'm sure i dont want one of those starter kits, they just screams "you'll be sorry" to me for some reason, so i'm browsing around at local shops, and http://www.guitarcenter.com/, building a rig piece by piece(in my mind at least
rolleyes.gif
) but i'm stuck on the amp...

problem is, i'm still at home with the parents, and i'm sure they wont appreciate me practicing at night while they are sleeping, which is pretty much the only time i'd be able to practice other than days i'm off. so i think that has to rule out a full size marshall for the time being... so the big question, as a decent starter amp(as well as a sanity check for the parents
very_evil_smiley.gif
), what do the local guitar gods think of those little battery powered portable guitar/headphone amps, like this one? if all else fails, if it comes with the same headphones pictured, at least i got another headband for another ksc75 mod
biggrin.gif

or am i just barking up the wrong tree?
blink.gif

(btw: what i'm looking at is an Epiphone Les Paul Studio Chameleon, and a few others around that range)

Sep 1, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #2 of 48
They work fine but you will soon tire if just using headphones, most of the cheap practice amps come with headphone out. A little amp that I fell in love with is the Battery operated Roland Mico Cube, great tone, small speaker sound good at bedroom levels. Because its battery operated you can take it outside. As to Guitar, the one you picked is a decent guitar. I like Fender better, the Standard, which is made in Mexico is a very good guitar for the money and will maintain is value.

Sep 1, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 48
I second the Roland. I jumped straight to the Cube 30 as my first amp and it's a great (and versatile!) piece of equipment. If you want to save some cash, the Micro Cube is also a great amp at a reasonable price (~$125). The Micro has 3 of my 4 favorite amp models (acoustic simulator, classic stack, rectifier stack) and has a feature set pretty much unmatched at this price point.

I don't know how good the acoustic filter will sound on the neck hum of that Epiphone, that's something you'll need to audition before you buy. It sounds great with my strat's neck single.

Not so much w/ my friend's EMG 81/85s.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Micro cube control panel: (headphone out is on the back)
info_02R_L.jpg

Edit: I thought I'd also add that your KSC-75s are GREAT for guitar.

Sep 2, 2007 at 6:21 AM Post #5 of 48
well, "Gas" hit me hard earlier today when i headed out to another local dealer to look around, and saw this *amazing* looking ESP M100-FM is this gorgeous red flame maple, i had to make it mine...
biggrin.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif
and at $275, i jumped on it, didn't even think twice
plainface.gif

picked up a cheapo Ibanez 10watt with it to hold me over till i can afford(hey, i work for the state
tongue.gif
) a more decent one, and maybe a pedal, that roland micro cube looks sweet, i'll definitely look into something like that... i'll post pics tomorrow morning if anyone wants to see it
rs1smile.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #7 of 48
ooh that's a good idea. plenty of folks seem to like the Pod and you can get the version that goes into a laptop via usb - that dongle is cheap because all the twiddly parts are software only that you'd put into the laptop. i think it's cheap, let me check. oh, and that way you can use your computer-as-source so as to utilize all your obsessions effectively, hehe.

edit - found it

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/pro..._sku=104484647

i think it was on clearance at J&R Music world for 50 bucks too, not sure. anyhoo, probably the best thing outside of crunching an amp!

Sep 2, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #8 of 48
GAS hit me bad yesterday...
went into Zone music to get some Red Devils for my black Ibanez ADX120 and saw a Gretsch Black Falcon that was in there on consignment!
Needless to say... I'm now the proud new owner of a '92 Double Cut Black Falcon II and my CC is wimpering
tongue.gif
I need to get some pics of it .

Edit:
BlackFalcon001Medium.jpg

Sep 2, 2007 at 9:26 PM Post #9 of 48
wow, thats a beauty hermitt!

just went to the back patio to take a couple of pics of my ESP LTD in the sun real quick:
s4300018mn3.jpg

s4300020xn4.jpg

s4300021oy1.jpg

s4300022xj1.jpg

theres some fingerprint smudges on the last pic, guess i should to get a chamois cloth to keep it clean
redface.gif

Sep 2, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
went into Zone music to get some Red Devils for my black Ibanez ADX120 and saw a Gretsch Black Falcon that was in there on consignment!
Needless to say... I'm now the proud new owner of a '92 Double Cut Black Falcon II and my CC is wimpering
tongue.gif
I need to get some pics of it .

Edit:
BlackFalcon001Medium.jpg

Beautiful! I bet it has great tone.

Sep 3, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #12 of 48
That's a sweet looking ESP there afphreak, I really like flamed and quilted top guitars. But ever since I saw my first photo of a Gretsch Falcon, it was instantly on my dream list. Once my funds recover, I want to look for a nice little all tube 30w pignose. For now the black bird sounds awesome on my VOX AD30VT set to the AC30TB setting with a little bit of comp/reverb
biggrin.gif

Man, this thing is huge tho, the lower bout is 17". Kinda akward to hold while sitting down unless I hold it in a classical position
blink.gif

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermitt /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not sure what GAS is, but that Gretsch is a beauty!

I'm also looking for a headphone or practice amp. Thinking of a Fender Frontman ($140) or a used Princeton... maybe a small Peavey or the Roland yous guys mentioned.

The ESP from the OP looks pretty sweet; I was wondering about the Epiphones... heard they are no Gibson and don't stay in tune (all hearsay, of course).

Good luck with the ESP... I'm just starting to learn as well.

R

Sep 3, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #14 of 48
I have a quick quesiton for those guitar players here.

I'm thinking about buying a certain guitar. It's very well built and extreemly inexpensive. I don't want to link to it because, well, I know what you people do to Grados' on eBay and I'd rather not have that happen to this guitar
wink.gif

The seller says it's in almost new condition, has been sitting in the original box for about two years and only took it out a couple times to play. He has two puzzling assertions though:

(1) The guitar was never set up by a tech
(2) There is a very slight buzzing on a high fret on the high E string, which if set up properly probably will still be there.

I'm a little bit worried about (2) though, because with my limited experience I would think the fret has to be incredibly badly aligned to make this sort of assertion. Am I wrong?

Sep 3, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #15 of 48
There was some good deals at guitarcenter today.
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
Got a bass though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back