Guitar-fi anyone?
Aug 28, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #317 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZephyrSapphire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Indeed I agree with your first sentence but the thing is, Gibson SG SPECIAL is not at the top at all. It's the low end of Gibson, where you're basically just paying for the name based on my experience. Again, the newer Gibsons are all rubbish compared to the older ones. And your second sentence? No. A SPECIAL does not hold its value better compared to a cheap China guitar.

I sold my Gibson 2nd hand for more than I paid for it. Got a profit of 150 AUD =).

Aug 29, 2009 at 9:43 AM Post #318 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Martin 175th Anniversary America's Guitar, no. 25/175. It has Madagascar sides..

Amazing guitar!!!! The shear looks of the thing is giving me goose bumps I bet it plays great as well.

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:19 PM Post #319 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by FrederikS|TPU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amazing guitar!!!! The shear looks of the thing is giving me goose bumps I bet it plays great as well.

Oh yeah, it does! Way better than the guy sitting behind it
wink.gif

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #320 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sold my Gibson 2nd hand for more than I paid for it. Got a profit of 150 AUD =).

And this is where I say, GG.
tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

I myself have also been considering a Strat but not one from Fender.

Retrorocket Elite

Fernandes Retrorocket Elite.
A not so well-known company compared to the big shots.
But that Strat seems interesting as it's set-thru as well as having their Fernandes Sustainer System.

Aug 30, 2009 at 12:09 PM Post #321 of 833
Quote:

tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

Retrorocket Elite

But that Strat seems interesting as it's set-thru as well as having their Fernandes Sustainer System.

Nice. Another option if you want a non-Fender strat is to go for a G&L. It was the company Leo Fender started in the late 70's with George Fullerton (who sadly died last month). I haven't tried them personally, but they might be worth checking out.

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:29 PM Post #322 of 833
Quote:

tongue.gif

beerchug.gif

Retrorocket Elite

Thanks =)

Have you played the Fernandes Retrorocket Elite? Not sure if Tom Lee in HK stock them.

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:22 AM Post #323 of 833
Quote:

Thanks =)

Have you played the Fernandes Retrorocket Elite? Not sure if Tom Lee in HK stock them.

Sadly, I have not. But I'd love to try it and I doubt I won't buy the guitar if I did try it.

Aug 31, 2009 at 11:15 AM Post #324 of 833
I am thinking of maybe getting this guitar:
st54_ls_blk.jpg

Here are the specifications of the SL54-LS. I would get the strat with the black finish.

Body: Alder
Neck/Finger Board: Maple V Shape
Frets: Vintage Style
Number of Fret: 22
Nut: Bone
Pickups: Fender U.S.A. Gold Lace Sensor x 3
Controls: 1 Vol, 1 TBX, 1 Mid Boost and 5 way switch
Bridge: S5D Vintage (Diecast Block)
Finish: Polyester

Aug 31, 2009 at 12:15 PM Post #325 of 833
Quote:

I am thinking of maybe getting this guitar:
st54_ls_blk.jpg

Here are the specifications of the SL54-LS. I would get the strat with the black finish.

Body: Alder
Neck/Finger Board: Maple V Shape
Frets: Vintage Style
Number of Fret: 22
Nut: Bone
Pickups: Fender U.S.A. Gold Lace Sensor x 3
Controls: 1 Vol, 1 TBX, 1 Mid Boost and 5 way switch
Bridge: S5D Vintage (Diecast Block)
Finish: Polyester

Eric Clapton model. I suggest you try it out first since the V neck might or might not be to your liking.

Aug 31, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #326 of 833
The lace sensors will be different from regular pickups so it's worth checking it out before buying.

Anyone used/owned a Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet? I have one on the way to add some life to my amp's clean channel - can't afford a Peavey Classic 30, let alone a Fender Deluxe Reverb
tongue.gif
I'm thinking of getting some more pedals to liven things up, probably a chorus and delay pedal along the line of an Electro Harmonix Memory Man or something. What sort of pedals are you guys using and for what applications?

Oh, and I'd like to say that re-stringing a classical guitar is a PITA!

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #329 of 833
During 5 years I spent a lot of time with an entry level Japan built classical concert guitar, 4-8 hours almost daily. Unfortunately my fingernails, or specifically one of them, doesn't meet standard requirements for complete mastery of some of the advanced techniques. I've since sold that guitar and picked up a few cheapos along the way which I don't use anymore.

I was always keeping an eye open for a small nylon stringed guitar, travel friendly sized, but with a full sized fret board. Now when I only play sporadically, I layed eyes on the Martin Backpacker online. According to reviews the "classical" version is the one that's any good at all, rather than the steel stringed. I knew which one I wanted anyway and bought it off ebay recently. Just letting anyone looking for something small and nice, that this one is very small, and very nice too, certainly for its size but not a toy any which way you look at it. Fit it with a quality set of light tension strings and it will sing. What you could replace is the stock saddle bone which is micarta, with a cow bone.

I won't resort to tying the strings traditional style on this guitar; it really needs the acute angle or projection will drop dead. For the sake of angle, I don't find the action particularly high, and I've been used with low, but can say that there's not much to play with if you want to lower the action yet retaining sustain and projection. Very narrow sweet spot. The stock ball-end strings of course give the acute angle, but better yet your favourite matching strings simply knotted at the end and looped through a flat and tiny single hole drilled piece of bone behind the saddle.

The usual caveat against it is the shape which allegedly makes it darn impossible to actually play. To which I say shaddap and get a clamp style guitar support, then replace the rod with a longer one. Too easy really, and that kind of support folds to store anywhere, easily in the Backpacker's case, and IME it's one of the most comfortable to boot.
The top is spruce so it will have a certain rawness to the tone in the beginning; the burn-in or rather break-in is very real, yet it's got sweet sounding treble even right out of NIB with stock strings, and considering its diminutive size, satisfyingly present bass. It won't work a concert hall but small parties and campfires [tick]; hotel room [tick]; hand-luggage compartment [tick].

If you tried the steel stringed version and didn't like it (I haven't had the chance though), for the travel factor if nothing else, give the classical a strum even if you otherwise don't usually consider "nylon".

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:35 AM Post #330 of 833
Figured I should post here instead of starting a new thread. Do any of you have experience with playing Strats with repaired necks? I've found an 80's American Strat for $400 that has been repainted and the neck repaired. Makes me worry as to what might be beneath it all, but I would definitely play it before buying. It also seems to have a locking nut from the pictures. I know the "Contemporary" MIJ Strats had them, but I haven't seen them on Americans before.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm currently casually searching for a decent guitar to put some lace sensors in (blue-gold-gold, maybe hot golds instead), along with refinishing the body to a fiesta red. Not really sure how I feel about a repaired neck though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back