Guitar-fi anyone?
Feb 12, 2018 at 6:45 PM Post #766 of 833
I’ve had so many guitars over the years, that I almost don’t remember them all. The only one I regret selling was a 79 Les Paul Standard. It was kind of bulky but I miss it. I only have two acoustics now, though I think I will have an electric guitar made this year. I just have to settle on which design to have the builder copy?

With electrics my 2nd favorite guitar was an original 1981 BC Rich Bich Supreme. It had the regular 6 strings and super cool active pickups. Strangest guitar I had was a 1960s Eko hollow body jazz guitar. Junk really........ but it had personality. My step mother was a piano teacher so we always had the students and instruments around.

blueberry 3.jpg
blueberry two.jpg
bluberry one.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #767 of 833
Fun to see this thread still kicking. Guitars are what got me out of my headphone addiction. Sold off everything except a Grado HF1 for old times sake and an AKG 601 because they sound very neutral and are revealing enough to make them effective for critical listening. Started playing and practicing again, then jamming with friends, now occasional gigs. I'll have to post a few pics of my post headphone guitars.

Feb 15, 2018 at 8:44 PM Post #768 of 833
I’ve had so many guitars over the years, that I almost don’t remember them all. The only one I regret selling was a 79 Les Paul Standard. It was kind of bulky but I miss it. I only have two acoustics now, though I think I will have an electric guitar made this year. I just have to settle on which design to have the builder copy?

With electrics my 2nd favorite guitar was an original 1981 BC Rich Bitch Supreme. It had the regular 6 strings and super cool active pickups. Strangest guitar I had was a 1960s Eko hollow body jazz guitar. Junk really........ but it had personality. My step mother was a piano teacher so we always had the students and instruments around.

Very Sweet Looking !

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:35 AM Post #769 of 833
Thank-you.

I only have two guitars now a mid-level darker sounding Martin and this Blueberry. I guess they complement each other. Time will tell how this Blueberry works out. It sounds nice, and it’s small in a way, which is good.

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #770 of 833
Thank-you.

I only have two guitars now a mid-level darker sounding Martin and this Blueberry. I guess they complement each other. Time will tell how this Blueberry works out. It sounds nice, and it’s small in a way, which is good.
I have been thinning the herd the last few years down to 3 electric and 1 acoustic . Was totally a gear whore for 10 years ....now learning control .

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #771 of 833
I have been thinning the herd the last few years down to 3 electric and 1 acoustic . Was totally a gear whore for 10 years ....now learning control .

Still........
It seems there can be a guitar that you sell, that you miss. I learned that with my 79 Les Paul......... once you sell them...they’re gone. Lol

Feb 16, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #772 of 833
Is Guitar Tuna not the greatest free thing in the world, or what?

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    9.8 KB · Views: 0
Feb 16, 2018 at 9:08 AM Post #773 of 833
I'm down to 8 (working) guitars and 4 basses. My control is getting better, haven't bought a guitar in a couple years or so. I even gave a P90 strat away last year. It was a nice guitar, I just didn't bond with it. My 6-string bass has been in residence at a drummer friend's house for a few years. Hopefully, the control continues...

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #774 of 833
Man, I found a bass I loved and then stuck with it. I've tried to play others, but they just don't feel as good, so I stick with the one I have. On that front, I can't even imagine switching uprights, so I don't do that.

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #775 of 833
Mar 13, 2018 at 11:25 PM Post #776 of 833
When I was seventeen and had NO money, I bought a '72 Les Paul Deluxe for $210.00. I refinished it natural as a high school project. Got disenchanted and drunk and sold it for a '55 Gibson B-25 which I later sold and you know how the story goes....I still look for that Les Paul on various sites and sales like a lost girl friend in a crowded train station.

Years later I have a reasonable income and despite having no talent, I did what many on this forum (and countless others here and on other guitar/bass forums) did and bought more guitars than I could play (actually, one guitar is more than I can play). All that by way of empathizing with those who speak about thinning the herd. I'm down to eight and barring any lapses, that number will stabilize or shrink.

I bought another Les Paul (standard) in '05 as I was working through an Allman Brother fetish (the source of the original purchase in the late '70's). After listening to what Bill Frisell could/can do with a Tele, I sold it and bought the material I needed to build two of my own T-type guitars. One of which, Telonious, I post here. It's got a flame maple top, chambered mahogany body, solid rosewood neck and Lollar pick-ups. The neck pick up cavity is routed for a hum bucker, so it is pretty flexible.

Telenious.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 1:35 AM Post #777 of 833
When I was seventeen and had NO money, I bought a '72 Les Paul Deluxe for $210.00. I refinished it natural as a high school project. Got disenchanted and drunk and sold it for a '55 Gibson B-25 which I later sold and you know how the story goes....I still look for that Les Paul on various sites and sales like a lost girl friend in a crowded train station.

Years later I have a reasonable income and despite having no talent, I did what many on this forum (and countless others here and on other guitar/bass forums) did and bought more guitars than I could play (actually, one guitar is more than I can play). All that by way of empathizing with those who speak about thinning the herd. I'm down to eight and barring any lapses, that number will stabilize or shrink.

I bought another Les Paul (standard) in '05 as I was working through an Allman Brother fetish (the source of the original purchase in the late '70's). After listening to what Bill Frisell could/can do with a Tele, I sold it and bought the material I needed to build two of my own T-type guitars. One of which, Telonious, I post here. It's got a flame maple top, chambered mahogany body, solid rosewood neck and Lollar pick-ups. The neck pick up cavity is routed for a hum bucker, so it is pretty flexible.

That, sir, is a beautiful guitar. I'm still in the midst of an Allman Brothers phase. Give me the "Best Of" album and a set of headphones and I will be happily occupied for hours...

Apr 4, 2018 at 6:30 PM Post #778 of 833
Here's my main guitar: A 2006 Eric Johnson signature stratocaster I picked up new from Guitar Center, back when they carried a good selection so I had pick-of-the-litter. What makes this strat stand out among so many others is the way the neck feels, vintage tone and the incredible acoustic resonance. Since then, a lot of guitars have come and went including two PRS custom 22s, a Gibson Les Paul, and two more american deluxe strats. The EJ neck is quarter-sawn maple and designed so string-trees are not needed. Over the years, I've changed out the stock bridge/tremolo with a Callaham Vintage S, and the the EJ pickups (which were darn good) for a set of Kinman Traditional Mark II pickups with K9 selector (which allows a wide variety of tones and pickup blending). If I did anything else, I would swap out the vintage tuners for locking tuners.

strat-1.jpg

May 11, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #780 of 833
DSC_0320.jpg
ceve.jpg

This guitar only has the small tone bar x-brace under the bridge, no brace on back. The pick-up is only attached to the neck. The neck is laughably almost heavier than the body, which is a surprise when lifting it up.

Going against all tradition, I had this made with cherry back and sides and mahogany tone board, it maybe would have had a brighter sound with a spruce or maple top, though this guitar is not dull/muddy in any way. It actually came out mid-centric and missing much of that early L5-L7 grunt and treble fuzz. It sounds best going though a digital reverb, getting me the 1950s-1960s space tone I was looking for. While not perfect, it's my daily player simply due to ease of use and size. But maybe the best part is the fact that it inspires me to write songs.......somehow songs flow out of it? I could get a smidge more bass going to thicker strings, but due to the build it will rest with .011 acoustic strings it's whole life.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back