Guilt before pulling the trigger?
Jun 13, 2008 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

silverknit3

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm about to pull the trigger on Westone UM2's. It took me about 4 months of teaching young children how to play tennis to get me this far. I'm looking at the wad of cash and thinking "do I seriously want to do this?" What do you guys think? Is the money I spend justified by sound?

On another note, when I first thought about this, I was thinking, "Welcome to head-fi! Sorry to hear about your wallet..."

Anyone else who has this guilt issue, share your story here. :]

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #2 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverknit3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What do you guys think? Is the money I spend justified by sound?

You're asking the people here? Do you also ask your buddies at the pub if you've been drinking too much?
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #3 of 61
Touche. For anyone who HAS pulled the trigger, do you regret it? (I think thats a better suited question.)

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #5 of 61
Shure SE210 -> Westone UM2

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #6 of 61
I've never regretted a single thing I've purchased. Each component has brought something new to the table and I enjoy them highly.

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 61
Quote:

Shure SE210 -> Westone UM2

Actually, you might want to just stick with the IEMs you have.

The differences might not be that big.

Have you considered getting full-size headphones? You're money will go a lot farther with them.

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:54 AM Post #8 of 61
I've looked at a few but I use my headphones for portable use and considerign I gel my hair, full sized headphones wouldn't suite me very well. Did you mean the difference might not be that big? That worries me slightly... Anyone else have opinions on this situation?

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 61
I might have regretted it if I had paid the MSRP, but for the $200 I paid, they were worth it. I upgraded from the Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 Pro (which are generally thought of as better than the SE210s), and it was absolutely worth it sonically, and if not even for the sound then for the design. Westone IEMs are designed perfectly.

I can't justify the list prices of a lot of the stuff related to this hobby. That's why these forums are so good.

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #10 of 61
Quote:

Touche. For anyone who HAS pulled the trigger, do you regret it? (I think thats a better suited question.)

I've not regretted it in any significant manner because, like GD, I research like mad before every purchase. Like you, every purchase represents months of saving, so I'm not about to buy something on a whim. By the time I can pull the trigger, I'm ready.

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:00 AM Post #11 of 61
Quote:

I've looked at a few but I use my headphones for portable use and considerign I gel my hair, full sized headphones wouldn't suite me very well. Did you mean the difference might not be that big? That worries me slightly... Anyone else have opinions on this situation?

Yes I did, I edited my post, but I must've been too late.

You might not find that the upgrade was worth it.

Are you going to be using an amp? What DAP are you using?

Unless you're source is good (Ipod with LOD or similar) and you have a portable amplifier, I'd probably just stick with the IEMs you have and save the money for something else as it seems it took a lot of effort to save up your money.

You won't get this kind of advice normally from a Head-Fi member.
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #12 of 61
I sue a Sony A818 and my Shure's lack that OOMPH that I need. I hear the Westone's exaggerate them while keeping relatively clean high's. Comfort is also a reason for the jump. So many people here claim them as the king of comfort. The Shure's get annoying at times because of the thick cable. I know what you mean by researching. I've stalked you guys rambling on and on about comparison threads and Westone UM2's seem like the winner in my price range of $280 from a retailer. (Considering I wouldn't want my parents to know about this deal.) Again, it's a lot of money but it seems like a sacrifice for better sound.

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #13 of 61
I haven't regretted any purchases, but I haven't spent four months of pay on anything. Are you sure that's how you want to spend it?

As for the IEM/full-sized debate, I'm firmly in the full-size camp. Admittedly, I haven't listened to many IEMs, but I love open drivers and don't like things stuck in my ears. Personally, I'd just get the Grado SR-60. Those are great and there's a nice upgrade path when you can afford it.

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't regretted any purchases, but I haven't spent four months of pay on anything. Are you sure that's how you want to spend it?

As for the IEM/full-sized debate, I'm firmly in the full-size camp. Admittedly, I haven't listened to many IEMs, but I love open drivers and don't like things stuck in my ears. Personally, I'd just get the Grado SR-60. Those are great and there's a nice upgrade path when you can afford it.

Same here. If I was going to save up for 4 months it would be in Blue Hawaii/ Omega league and of course I'd be extremely happy with the improvement. So I'm not 100% sure he's going to be happy with the improvement after spending that much time saving.

To the OP:

If you end up getting the IEMs sell your Shures, so you can atleast recoup some money.

Jun 13, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #15 of 61
Well, a majority of it came from working. (Okay I admit half, and the other half is from the holiday season.) I'm going to miss it, but I can live. This is probably (hopefully) my last IEM's I upgrade to. The replaceable cables definitely are a bonus because I've never had any problems with my drivers giving out before. I've researched these a lot. However I ahve yet to listen to them. From opinions of others, these sound perfect for me. Sony A818 is known for its EQ and I've heard these headphones work well under equalization. Research is a very expensive thing, but it's saving me the hassle of buying more in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back