Guide to the Balanced AKG K701 recabling
Apr 4, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #46 of 57
Mine were wired differently. (black = right-, white = left-). You have to open the left cup to check the wiring. In my case, the black one connects to the headband, and comes out as white in the right cup. Only opening the right cup will fool you, just as I was fooled
redface.gif

Apr 6, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #47 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And when i open the cups of the k701(that metallic grills), it was different..
and I cant detach the white piece in order to give me space to solder..

IMG_4269.jpg

You need to undo the screws:

You can pull off the small white part quite easily as it only has very slight tabs on each side, and the top "hands" pop off of the grey part of the headband very easily. I basically gently prised it up from the bottom and removed the "hands" last.

I'm not going to disassemble it all again, so I'll just say that I undid another screw:

did some various desoldering and cutting of wires, and ended up with this:

I really would have thought I'd have posted in this thread before, since I followed it (and the AKG exploded diagram/service manual) for disassembly... hope I'm not breaking any rules with more thumbnailed pics:

Yes, it's not balanced (starquad terminated with TRS), but it shows that balanced rewiring is possible with the "different" K701 earcup assembly
k701smile.gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #48 of 57
Wow !
Nice post man, and thanks for the pm
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you very much !

*If only there is some sort of +rep or thank button =/*

thank you !!

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #49 of 57
Man, I just cant seem to pry open the white part !
the left side of my left cup open slightly, but its tedious to open the entire cup >.<

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardnrg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can pull off the small white part quite easily as it only has very slight tabs on each side, and the top "hands" pop off of the grey part of the headband very easily. I basically gently prised it up from the bottom and removed the "hands" last.

Apr 2, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #50 of 57
Man, I just cant seem to pry open the white part !
the left side of my left cup open slightly, but its tedious to open the entire cup >.<

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardnrg/img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any luck?

Apr 10, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #51 of 57
Search for his user name and post positive feedback. 
k701smile.gif

EDIT: Oops, I just noticed that his last post was 4-11-10, not 4-11-11
redface.gif

Quote:
Wow !
Nice post man, and thanks for the pm
smily_headphones1.gif

Thank you very much !

*If only there is some sort of +rep or thank button =/*

thank you !!

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #54 of 57
I got a K701 with Cardas cable which is going to be reterminated to balanced. The stock cable was replaced by the Cardas one from Moon Audio with dual entry. So there is nothing more left to do then to snip off the 1/4 plug and replace it with 2 3-pin XLRs, right?

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #55 of 57
Hi there,

I would need to recable my K701 as the default cable is too short when i'm sitting in the living room.

by thinking of recabling it, other questions came:
do i make one cable by side or just replace the existing one?
do i make the cable(s) detachable?

i'm located in France, and wanted to order the cable on the Audiophonics website
which one do you recommend me?

thank you in advance for you help!

May 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM Post #56 of 57
A few months ago I recabled my AKG701 with Moon audio silver dragon straight to the drivers and a Jack plug. It was a real improvement in detail and stage.
But since my Audio-GD NF-6 is a fully balanced head amp i just got around to attach the needed 4pin XLR. My balanced AKG701 sound way better than i expexted. I'm very happy with it and the posts in this topic really helped, thanks for that.

Dec 28, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #57 of 57
The 2 curved rods that attach the ear cups and keep the headphones on your head are the conductors that carry the left side wiring to the right side's driver; on my Made in Austria pair, where the wires jumper from the rods to the drivers, they changed the color code from the way it is in the cable.

But, FAR MORE IMPORTANTLY, my pair--and presumably all pairs (if mine are constructed correctly)--are out of absolute polarity. Explained simply, that means that positive air pressure at the microphone diaphragm becomes negative pressure coming out of the earphone; although it sounds like a joke, trumpets suck instead of blow and this makes a difference sonically. To me, it is a fairly audible improvement when switched to be correct: the bottom end becomes more extended and things sound more natural and better.

Also, yes: the white ear cup housing is very difficult to get apart... after doing it twice, it's still one of those disassembly projects that makes me wonder if I will break it before I can get it open. The one disassembly video I found on youtube made it look so easy that I'm quite sure the ear cups were redesigned at some point--maybe when they moved production from Austria to China(?). They also compromised the sound of the headphones significantly when they did this unfortunately.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back