Guide to the Balanced AKG K701 recabling
Feb 10, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #31 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by slowpogo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks guys, all helpful info. My other question is, what's the best method for making a hole in the right ear cup? It seems you'd have to be very careful/lucky with a soldering iron to make a hole that looks decent.

And it's hard to see taking a big drill to that plastic piece; and Dremel drill bits only go up to 1/8".

I used the cut-off wheel on my grinder to slice a quick notch, then dressed it with a medium/fine rat-tail file. 3 minutes work.

Feb 22, 2008 at 2:26 AM Post #32 of 57
guys i dont know where to ask this, so pardon me if i bring it slightly off topic... you said that the orange and white are the + and - for the right side, and yellow and black for the left respectively... since we are dealing with a balanced system wouldnt it be called 'hot' or 'cold' instead?

Mar 29, 2009 at 11:24 AM Post #34 of 57
Sorry for digging up an old thread. I'm trying to re-cable my K 701 but run into trouble. The plastic cup (the one with "Reference Headphones K 701 Made in Austria" printed) is SOOO difficult to remove! I need some advice on how do it without damaging the parts. Thanks!

Mar 29, 2009 at 12:18 PM Post #35 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ephrank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry for digging up an old thread. I'm trying to re-cable my K 701 but run into trouble. The plastic cup (the one with "Reference Headphones K 701 Made in Austria" printed) is SOOO difficult to remove! I need some advice on how do it without damaging the parts. Thanks!

there's a clip on each side that you have to get free. If you get one side free you'll be able to wiggle enough to get the second side free... don't pull the first side out too far or you won't have a good angle of approach.

Mar 30, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #36 of 57
Hi soloz2, I was able to free one side of the clip out but it seems that the other clip is stuck no matter how little I pull out the freed side of the plastic cup. I tried to squeeze the plastic cup really hard but the clip is still stuck.
frown.gif

Mar 30, 2009 at 10:22 AM Post #37 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by ephrank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi soloz2, I was able to free one side of the clip out but it seems that the other clip is stuck no matter how little I pull out the freed side of the plastic cup. I tried to squeeze the plastic cup really hard but the clip is still stuck.
frown.gif

they both come off the same way.

Mar 30, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #38 of 57
It really is insanely difficult to remove the plastic cup. I actually damaged my pair trying to take them off (broke the little plastic bridge on top, no biggie but annoying). Even opening an Acer Aspire One is way easier than this.

Mar 21, 2010 at 3:39 PM Post #40 of 57
Just a question to those that recabled your k701 with a 4 pin xlr.

May I know which wires goes to which pin ?
Thank you

Mar 21, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #41 of 57
1 - left channel +
2 - left channel -
3 - right channel +
4 - right channel -

i would also like to offer another suggestion for removing the silver caps without scratches/damage. use the anti skid mats that you line kitchen drawers with (like this http://img.alibaba.com/photo/5021632...Slip_Liner.jpg), this will give yo enough leverage and grip to just push down and rotate

Mar 22, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #42 of 57
Thank you.

Apr 3, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #43 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by pistolsnipe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1 - left channel +
2 - left channel -
3 - right channel +
4 - right channel -

i would also like to offer another suggestion for removing the silver caps without scratches/damage. use the anti skid mats that you line kitchen drawers with (like this http://img.alibaba.com/photo/5021632...Slip_Liner.jpg), this will give yo enough leverage and grip to just push down and rotate

Btw, the wires that you labelled are updated right ?

Because at the 2nd page, some of the head fiers claim the wiring was different on their k701.

And when i open the cups of the k701(that metallic grills), it was different..
and I cant detach the white piece in order to give me space to solder..

IMG_4269.jpg

Compared to OP's one
removal3en0.jpg

Apr 4, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #44 of 57
Need help..

Apr 4, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #45 of 57
Hi Junliang,

My pair looks exactly like yours after removing the grill. It's next to impossible to remove the white cup without breaking. No luck here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back