Guide on How To Educate Others About Beats
Feb 14, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #16 of 100

Quote:

Beats Pro is not bad at all! I'd say they're worth $180. I can see it beating some Sennheisers easily. 

Umm which Sennhs? 

What about ultrasones? 

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #17 of 100
the better question is,

why would you want to? music is different to people, if they feel good about wearing beats and think it sounds nice, who are you to "educate" their ear to hear "better" music? 

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #18 of 100

Quote:
It is a bit sad really... Who would a) buy headphones as a fasion statement b) want the same as everyone else c) put image over sound quality... I think it is a bit sad and says quite a lot about the people wearing them lol

What is at least equally as sad are people who obsess about "how bad" Beats are.  Who cares what other people wear?  If they like them, so be it.  Who decided that a bunch of snotty neophytes are the arbiters of acceptable headphone choices?  

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #19 of 100
the better question is,

why would you want to? music is different to people, if they feel good about wearing beats and think it sounds nice, who are you to "educate" their ear to hear "better" music? 

I think a lot of it has to do with insecurity. 99% of people who have beats don't care about head-fi, but people who start threads like this will still go around trying to be this headphone messiah, feeling the need to convert everybody else who isn't like them. Kinda annoying if you're on that receiving end.

It's like if some watch nut comes to you and calls you out for wearing a Guess or CK watch, and tells you all about how a Citizen is so much better and your watch is crap if you don't get a brand that's "approved" by the watch community.

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #20 of 100
Beats Pro is not bad at all! I'd say they're worth $180. I can see it beating some Sennheisers easily. Beats is just overpriced, that's all. There's in fact a lot of high end headphones that I thought was overpriced. Beats users value the design greatly while high end can users chase that little bit of improvement no matter the cost [Law of diminishing returns]. 

The thing I don't like beats users is that they boast that what they have is the absolute best (because the ad says so). I just said "well do your research, there's plenty of higher end and much more expensive cans out there." There's no point in debating which one's better because sound is subjective.

I don't think anyone said the Pros are "bad", they're just a really crappy value for the sound quality. Now, the Studios and Solos? They're bad.

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #21 of 100
Educate people about Beats? What? Why? 

Let them buy whatever they want. 

I'm pretty sure that you don't buy your clothes for their quality but for how they look. Am I wrong? 

Seriously, this whole Beats thing is getting ridiculous. I'd rather hang out with the Beats guys than those bashing others for what they buy. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #22 of 100

What is at least equally as sad are people who obsess about "how bad" Beats are.  Who cares what other people wear?  If they like them, so be it.  Who decided that a bunch of snotty neophytes are the arbiters of acceptable headphone choices?  

I think a lot of it has to do with insecurity. 99% of people who have beats don't care about head-fi, but people who start threads like this will still go around trying to be this headphone messiah, feeling the need to convert everybody else who isn't like them. Kinda annoying if you're on that receiving end.
It's like if some watch nut comes to you and calls you out for wearing a Guess or CK watch, and tells you all about how a Citizen is so much better and your watch is crap if you don't get a brand that's "approved" by the watch community.

Guys, it's not about insecurity or complaining to complain, it's about getting the word out and trying to inform a few people who are ignorant of what a good set of cans can sound like. Most kids don't give a rat's *** about the sound as long as they look cool. But others, older and more wise consumers, may steer clear if they find out the truth.

We're doing a public service, by gawd. :wink:

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:35 PM Post #23 of 100
I am not really bothered and have never tried to convert anyone (I dont know anyone who owns them) but I just find it a bit silly buying headphones as a fashion statement.... Clothes or sunglasses or a watch or something I can understand but the point of headphones is to play music.

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #24 of 100
I'm pretty sure that you don't buy your clothes for their quality but for how they look. Am I wrong? 

Yeah, you're kinda wrong, many of us buy for quality and looks. You learn to appreciate this type of thing when you get old.

I do agree, however, all these anti-Beats threads are getting spammie. No need to have more than one thread about them, TBH.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #26 of 100
The beats do have some nice features. The build quality seems nice and most the models accept a standard 1/8th jack (I am aware there are disadvantages to this). Though the looks are a bit outlandish to me. Though I am a bit older and would rather not draw that level of attention to myself (screams of desperation). And the sound quality for the money isn't there.

When I first got into headphones it was because they could provide much higher sound quality than speakers at a lower price. So the SQ to $ ratio was very high. Which to me is good, since I wasn't and still am not made of money. Though to be fair, when I got into it I was young. So I went and bought the headphones with the largest drivers I could find at the time (2002), Sony mdr-v700dj's. They were big, ugly, tacky headphones that played music very loudly though at poor quality. Later on I went on to get AKG k240s' which played less loudly though much sounded much better, then kns 6400's which sounded better yet.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that, though they sometimes should, people rarely listen to others regarding personal decisions. So each person has to undergo their own journey. Perhaps it begins and ends with beats, but maybe not. For me my journey began after I dug the old mdr-700's out of a box years later, gave them a listen and wondered if something better was out there.

That's probably the best we can hope for among consumers. Maybe a few future addicts will get their feet wet. On the competitive  side, at least they're upping the ante on some fronts. Though that's not so say headphones with decent build quality or detachable cables didn't exist before beats but these features do seem to be more prolific now. Can't make an omelette and all that. And sure a lot of folks may waste a few bucks on headphones that may not be worth it. But perhaps they'll find something better later. Just as how most of our first cars weren't Ferarris. They've got to start somewhere.

Feb 15, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #27 of 100
why do you even care what kind of headphones other people have

newsflash: most people don't care about getting the most sound quality for your money

some people will just hate anything that's popular... calm down and just enjoy the music, the people with beats are enjoying their music while you crusade against their buying decisions.

Feb 15, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #28 of 100
I always been a PC user, so this debate is kinda like trying to tell iphone/apple fans that their precious products are overpriced and a $500 AMD chipset PC notebook could very well rival a $3000 macbook. or however much they cost.

It doesnt help when you watch sports, football or basketball, and pre game showing the players arriving to the stadium wearing some Beats cans. I can imagine sports players probably don't spend too much time getting into the finer details of price/performance budget. 

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:06 AM Post #29 of 100
That's just your opinion.
Quote:
I always been a PC user, so this debate is kinda like trying to tell iphone/apple fans that their precious products are overpriced and a $500 AMD chipset PC notebook could very well rival a $3000 macbook. or however much they cost.

Feb 15, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #30 of 100
I had a huge argument about beats on a different forum.
I could show you the links if you're interested...
1. Heavily overpriced
2. Attracts people based on fashion and not sound
3. The audio quality is so poor the only reason a pair of beats could sound better is if you play a really bad recording because all the little nuances are lost in the muddiness of beats. Not to mention the artificially boosted bass.
4. Beats is leading to the destruction of headphones. Beats were the first major move to having a pair of headphones ONLY on the fashion aspect. Seeing that beats own 53% of the headphone market (according to a recent article I read), beats would probably now be the first choice for consumers who want a "high end pair of phones". This might act as a downfall to some headphone makers that actually make a product that sounds great but don't receive any recognition for it.
5. One of the biggest reasons people got beats was because other people had them. It's like a huge pyramid scheme. One artist brands it, the close followers buy the headphones and push others to buy them. Those people push other people to buy them. Etc.
6. Because of beats, retailers barely even carry other brands now. My local bestbuy has 3 brands, skullcady, bose and beats. None of which I would consider high end. I talked to a local audio store and I asked him why he carries beats and recommends them and he told me "because they sell". Not to mention the profit margin?
If bestbuy is able to sell the studio versions at 200 or 220 on special occasions, at 350 the profit must be over 150$. Retailers will never sell a product lower than their cost price unless they really need to liquidate the last few which wouldn't be the case with beats
7. A lot of people that have beats usually say they're the best headphones they've ever had. It just so happens most of these people have never tried good headphones...
I could go on but meh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back