Guelph Ontario Canada Mini Meet Sept 19th 2009
Sep 20, 2009 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Canuck57

500+ Head-Fier
10 Head-fiers attended the meet and there was a huge variety of equipment to listen to. Headphones included, Darth Beyers, ESW9, ESW10, 650s, balanced 650s, Denon 2000, Stax 202 & 404, HFI780s, Jecklin Floats and more..

I have the Stax 2050 system which consists of the SR-202 ear speakers and the SRM-252II amplifier. I tried my SR202 with Djarum's SRM-006t tube amp and there was a vast improvement in sound quality. The SRM-252II just doesn't have enough power to bring out the sound quality potential of the SR-202s. The 202 & 404 were close in sound quality however, the 404 is definitely the better can.

Prickley Peete brought his amazing balanced rig comprised of Audio GD compoments (transport, pre amp & power amp) and a DAC made by Prickly Peete. (Peete please correct me if I got any of the components wrong). I listened with balanced Senn HD-650s and the sound was simply amazing. Totally black background, tight bass, wide sound stage and smooth mids & highs. After hearing Peete's system I definitely want to get into a balanced set-up.

It was nice to put a face to Head-fiers nicks and talk audio ....

Looking forward to the next meet.

Sorry there's not more pics, a lot were blurry so I posted what I could..

Thanks to Punkaroo for the amazing home-made burgers she brought, they had to be 2" thick and tasted great!

Sep 20, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 23
Thanks for hosting us, Brian! I'm glad everyone loved the burgers
biggrin.gif

I had an awesome time. Now I need to find a pair of HF-2s...

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 23
Darn sounded like fun. Wish I could have made it up ;(. I would have come but the drive from Milton, to Guelph, back to Milton, back to Guelph, back to Milton, to Brampton, then back, was too much for my dad. Lol. I will be at any other meets we have in this area. I might be going to CanJam so if anyone wants to share a room/come on the plane...

Sep 20, 2009 at 6:10 PM Post #6 of 23
Sure looks like you had a nice time! The Jecklin Floats bring a huge smile every single time..
biggrin.gif

Sep 20, 2009 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 23
I had a chance to compare the AT-ESW9 to the AT-ESW10 cans. There IS no comparison. The 9s sound muffled, bloated and very closed in. The 10s however, are more open, and have much better detail.

Too bad they cost an a**load more!

Sep 20, 2009 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 23
Just want to thank Canuck57 for hosting a great get-together
beerchug.gif
and say hello to everyone I met.
It turned out to be quite a bit more than the "mini-meet" I was expecting and it was great to hear an assorted selection of gear. I must admit to spending a little too much time with Peete's set-up, but finally got to hear why people say the 650s are at their best when driven balanced. Definitely in "sorry 'bout your wallet" territory! For now I have to forget I even heard my 650s with his gear... maybe someday. Also, thanks to punkaroo for the great burgers (and the use of her Mac).
I liked the sound of the AT-10s as well; really a very nice little headphone. There was way more gear than time to hear it all, (one sign of a good meet IMO).
Thanks again to everyone, (especially Canuck57 and his incredibly tolerant wife). I hope to see at least some of you again before too long.

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #9 of 23
An awesome first meet (sorry about the pictures Brian - must be my aging eyesight). Some terrific Head-Fiers at the meet and as Tony said, not enough time to savour all the phones and setups (good excuse for another meet in the near future. My HF-2's seemed to be a hit and the Jecklins provided a laugh. My highlights -other than Brads AMAZING (and expensive) balanced setup, was my first listen to electrostatics with the Stax components there, and I also was impressed with the Denon D2000's with the J$ pads. As soon as I got home I ordered me up a baseline starting Stax system - another "sorry 'bout your wallet' moment. I'm looking forward to the next mini-meet - the informality and comradery at these meets is unsurpassed.
beerchug.gif

Sep 21, 2009 at 12:10 AM Post #10 of 23
Bo here
smily_headphones1.gif

I too have to congratulate brian on being an amazing host and punkaroo for the delicious food
smily_headphones1.gif

I loved getting my first taste of electrostats and ortho-dynamics as well, not to mention enjoying prickley pete's crazy balanced rig... truly a thing to behold

I loved the C-2C amp and was VERY impressed with it. However upon thinking further on the drive home I realized that may be too much amp for just an IEM so I've decided to go and pre-order the Hifiman 801... so we'll have that baby to play around with at the next meet
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As soon as I got home I ordered me up a baseline starting Stax system - another "sorry 'bout your wallet' moment.

dt880smile.png

What did you buy?!

Sep 22, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #12 of 23
I had a great time meeting you all, listening to all the various setups/headphones and I hope we can do this again in the near future
smily_headphones1.gif

Many thanks to Brian for hosting the meet and the members in attendance making it a relaxed and friendly atmosphere ! I really had a lot fun.

Just a slight correction Brian on the gear listing, the balanced system comprised the CD7 transport, the Phoenix Pre/headphone amp and the Reference 1 DAC with your Denon SACD/Universal player on top of the Ref 1 DAC in the pic. The DIY DAC was used with the CDM12Pro Transport and the Upgraded C-2C system.

Like a number of other members at the meet I was very impressed with those HF-2s ! The STAX gear also left a very good impression. Punkaroos burgers were a tasty treat
smily_headphones1.gif

My only complaint is that the time we shared together went by to quickly.

Cheers to all
smily_headphones1.gif

beerchug.gif

Peete.

Sep 22, 2009 at 11:34 PM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by punkaroo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
dt880smile.png

What did you buy?!

Bottom end (but highly recommended) mid 1970's SR-5/SR-6 .... excellent condition and for a good price.
bigsmile_face.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:26 PM Post #14 of 23
Hey all! I've been busy with school and such, and posting has been delayed =(

Anyhow, I'd like to thank Brian for opening up his house and freeing up an afternoon to host a bunch of crazy head-fiers =)

For me, the meet pretty much confirmed what I've suspected all along: I'm happy with the gear I have. I really enjoyed getting to hear the 650's balanced, and I got to try a stax system (which was quite nice).

But for me, the highlight of the meet were the HF-2's. Through my b22 they sounded fantastic - in comparison, my 650's sounded veiled (I now know what that term means!) However, I should add the disclaimer that I only listened to them briefly under meet conditions, and my affair with them wasn't enough to tear me away from my 650's.

It was a pleasure meeting all of you!

Sep 23, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by charliex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bottom end (but highly recommended) mid 1970's SR-5/SR-6 .... excellent condition and for a good price.
bigsmile_face.gif

Did you get a chance to listen to my SR3new/SRD5 at the meet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back