GS1000 with m902 is such a great Synergy!
Jun 22, 2007 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

jlingo

500+ Head-Fier
rs1smile.gif

Does anyone else own GS1000 with m902 here? I think it's such a great match. It's very detailed, transparent, open big soundstage, deep tight bass, and most importantly, no longer sucked out midrange nor sibilance like many experienced with their GS1000. m902 brings the excitement in GS1000 back, making it to sound closer to RS-1 but with SOUNDSTAGE and SEPARATION.

GS1000 with EMP - sounds too weak, too smooth, boring, too laid back. Yucky!

GS1000 with Supermacro - too much extended high, and too much sibillance. Yucky also!

Jun 22, 2007 at 12:24 PM Post #3 of 26
First of all CONGRATS! This unit is very nice looking, cool... Up here in Holland EUR 1550, hmm... This one is the new model, isnt.

This one can be used with AKG K1000 as well, isnt, cos m901 can.

Do you mean with all kind of records / styles, ROCK as well, midrange and sibilance highs control.
I do not have any issues with JAZZ, but ROCK is a different story. I just purchased SR225 again, especially for my CLASSIC ROCK and ROCK in general.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
rs1smile.gif

Does anyone else own GS1000 with m902 here? I think it's such a great match. It's very detailed, transparent, open big soundstage, deep tight bass, and most importantly, no longer sucked out midrange nor sibilance like many experienced with their GS1000. m902 brings the excitement in GS1000 back, making it to sound closer to RS-1 but with SOUNDSTAGE and SEPARATION.

GS1000 with EMP - sounds too weak, too smooth, boring, too laid back. Yucky!

GS1000 with Supermacro - too much extended high, and too much sibillance. Yucky also!

Jun 22, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First of all CONGRATS! This unit is very nice looking, cool... Up here in Holland EUR 1550, hmm... This one is the new model, isnt.

This one can be used with AKG K1000 as well, isnt, cos m901 can.

Do you mean with all kind of records / styles, ROCK as well, midrange and sibilance highs control.
I do not have any issues with JAZZ, but ROCK is a different story. I just purchased SR225 again, especially for my CLASSIC ROCK and ROCK in general.

Yes pretty much for all the records now. Sibilance highs control is amazing. The Sibilance at least now is in a much more tolerable level. Midrange is a lot more forward and sweet making it to sound closer to RS-1. M902 brings the excitement of the original Grado House sound signature back. The bass also becomes deeper and tighter less boominess.

I guess this is the kind of sound signature that Grado intends let us hear?

Most importantly anyone else has heard GS1000 playing from m902 before?

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #5 of 26
The m902 is quite the unit for sure. Congrats on owning such a wonderful combo. Personally Ive never heard the m902, very hard to find up here in Canada and usually priced at $2500 +.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:40 PM Post #6 of 26
I have an M902, but my GS 1000's are at home. I will make it a point to have them sent to me. It's nice to know they will work so well.

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:42 PM Post #7 of 26
Very interesting comment, that the sound is much closer to RS1, cos I do not experience that at all.
I do not have any boominess and the voices are very smooth and close as well. Instrument separation is way better and spacy than with RS1.
Now I am really wondering why Grado would make a GS1 wishing that we still hear more of RS1, don't you think. Well, maybe it is me, but once again I do not hear a lot of RS1, of non of them at all, with my.

LUCKY ME, to tell you the true.

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes pretty much for all the records now. Sibilance highs control is amazing. Midrange is a lot more forward and sweet making it to sound closer to RS-1. M902 brings the excitement of the original Grado House sound signature back. The bass also becomes deeper and tighter less boominess.

I guess this is the kind of sound signature that Grado intends let us hear?

Most importantly anyone else has heard GS1000 playing from m902 before?

Jun 22, 2007 at 2:45 PM Post #8 of 26
M902? what is that? an amp? hehe :p any links of it? sounds interresting now that my grado ra1 + gs1000 sound kinda to laid back
frown.gif
But ra1 + rs1 sound wonderfull
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M902? what is that? an amp? hehe :p any links of it? sounds interresting now that my grado ra1 + gs1000 sound kinda to laid back
frown.gif
But ra1 + rs1 sound wonderfull
smily_headphones1.gif

The m902 is made by Grace Design. The RA-1,GSk combo is supposed to have a real sweet synergy though.

http://www.gracedesign.com/products/902/m902.htm

Jun 22, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #10 of 26
There is another member that posted months ago that the 902/GS-1000 combo worked very well together. Enough that I considered getting it. Sounds like there is a real match here...
evil_smiley.gif
and a very good DAC to boot. Hmmmm should I sell my Cary?

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #11 of 26
Not surprising this is a pleasant pairing. The Grace has a high-current output, which Grado's love. Also, the amp is on the warmer-side of neutral, and even moreso when the internal DAC is used, so that probably tames the highs.

Congrats on finding a great combo!

Jun 22, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The RA-1,GSk combo is supposed to have a real sweet synergy though.

Not is my experience. In fact that's what's most discouraging for me in support of the GS1000. That combo had to be used during testing and if that's the signature we're suppose to be aiming for, the unGrado deserves some of the less than enthusiastic comments made by a few here.

Jun 22, 2007 at 9:51 PM Post #13 of 26
I did some listening tonight with the Allesandro MS Pro's, they sounded quite nice, a much better match than my HD-650's.

Jun 22, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very interesting comment, that the sound is much closer to RS1, cos I do not experience that at all.
I do not have any boominess and the voices are very smooth and close as well. Instrument separation is way better and spacy than with RS1.
Now I am really wondering why Grado would make a GS1 wishing that we still hear more of RS1, don't you think. Well, maybe it is me, but once again I do not hear a lot of RS1, of non of them at all, with my.

LUCKY ME, to tell you the true.

Cheers.

Hi Blackmore, I was intending to say that the sound signature became closer to RS-1 but with extra bonuses such as better depth, better 3D, better soundstage, better separation. This makes GS1000 a better successor to RS-1 sort of speak.

Sorry for the confusion. when I was talking about sound signature It was concentrating more on the EQ part of it. Because before I used m902, GS1000 didn't sound anything like Grado at all(with sucked up midrange, peaky high, V shaped signature, too laid back uninvolving.). At least with m902 it brings the sound closer to the Classic Grado's. I can actually enjoy guitar recordings again here. And of course it adds more detailed sound with 3Dimensional soundspace, huge soundstage, exceptional separation. It's got more PRaT and not as laid back since m902 adds the excitement and power to GS1000.

but I think I already mentioned at the beginning of the post about the soundstage, separation no?
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back