GS1000 suitable amp?
Jun 27, 2007 at 7:37 PM Post #31 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget, Reverse VWAP pads on the GS1000 with the Melos for the win!

Cool, I think I still have a pair of these at the bottom of a desk drawer from my SR225 days.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whether it is your taste or not after you try them out, I use the Melos and it really works well together, but on bad recordings the highs are still a little strong with the Melos. So, although it is about as good as you'll find for under $1K, I think $2K might get you something better. I haven't heard a budget tube amp that can really make the GS shine in the Melos price range FWIW

Sounds good to me! I've got the cans sitting in a UPS box next to my desk as we speak. Can't wait to get home and give them a listen.

Jun 27, 2007 at 7:51 PM Post #32 of 72
gcha should work with gs1k...the gain cells accomodate low level listening, which I believe the non-neutral frequency response of those headphones was designed for? somone correct me if I'm wrong

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #34 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjhatfield /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds good to me! I've got the cans sitting in a UPS box next to my desk as we speak. Can't wait to get home and give them a listen.

Awesome. Don't judge them until they are broken in (should sound congested, flabby bass, nasty highs), It took at least a 200 hourse but most likely more. But still by all means listen.

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #35 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might sound stupid coming from a person who bought GS1000 but, what are the VWAP pads?

Ah sorry, old school term. An old member here, VWAP, discovered that you could take a Sennheiser HD414 replacement pad (the yellow one, still SUPERcheap direct from Sennheiser's store - what, like 6 bucks?) And cut a quarter sized hole in the middle of the pad and bingo - new pads for any and all Grados!

Reverse VWAPs are when you poke the Grado into your newly cut quarter hole instead of the stock hole end. Lovely. And comfy!

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:04 PM Post #36 of 72
Quote:

And comfy!

Compared to every other Grado pad... except the GS1K superbowls.
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see that you use Woo6 with GS1K and thats a tube one, isnt. Can you tell anything about this combo please. Is Woo6 low/high gain amp or both.
I love my Aspen with any JAZZ records using with GS1K, but some other records showing the dark side of GS1 pretty easy. Anything like this in your combo to?

I've only had the WA6 for a couple weeks and the GS1K (second time) a couple days. Along with being in the middle of some tube-rolling (thanks to the kindness of Voltron), I don't want to say too much until I get a better feel for what the amp is capable of. I will say I'm likely keeping it and although it was not purchased with the expected use for the Grado, a $600 GS1000 eBay sale made it so, and I've been pleasantly surprised so far. The WA6 has a gain switch though switching it with the GS1K made less a difference than the HD650. The WA6 does like a decent source output though. I find myself uping the Lavry's variable output a little more than normal. Overall with the two rectifier tube families I've tried (5AR4 & 5U4G) are both tubey sounding compared to the Lavry itself and a couple SS amps I've owned, but it has certainly influenced me in my statement earlier about the GS1K being counter-balanced with a tubey amp. As someone who sold their first pair of GS1Ks, not because I didn't believe it was possible to get great sound, but because I couldn't find the right synergy (and I tried a ton of amps) to correct the midrange recession, I think with the right tubes the WA6 (and according to TuneAudio the WA3+ ... and I have yet to hear anything not sound great with the WA5) might be the ticket. I'll need more time (and less working hours) to know for sure though. Right now for the money it seems at least a good choice.

I have a feeling we're way off the OP question though.
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #37 of 72
i have biiiiig ears - believe it or not, the Bagels still touch my ears, and new Grado foam is scratchy, argh!

Jun 27, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

Ah sorry, old school term. An old member here, VWAP, discovered that you could take a Sennheiser HD414 replacement pad (the yellow one, still SUPERcheap direct from Sennheiser's store - what, like 6 bucks?) And cut a quarter sized hole in the middle of the pad and bingo - new pads for any and all Grados!

So thats where the term comes from? Thats my little piece of HF lore for the day.
tongue.gif

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:39 AM Post #39 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
featured_wa51.jpg

very_evil_smiley.gif

The WA5 looks like an absolute weapon. I wish! Nearly 3k US according to the Woo website, plus a DAC. The Woo has far too many exposed tubes to be around kids for my liking. But a great suggestion nonetheless.

I will have a look at the Woo 6 or maybe the Singlepower MPX3. I am a bit concerned about the physical footprint of the Singlepower. The Singlepower and Woo websites lack information about the physical dimensions of their amplifiers.

The other option presented by Jahn, or one of his army of posters
tongue.gif
, was the Melos. These seem to be rather hard to come by. But again a great option, which I will look into.

The only solid state that appears to get a mention is the EC/SS. This maybe worth further investigation. I am still wondering whether anybody has listened to GS1k's with an Opera as well.

The only set-up I can audition in Melbourne is the X-Can. So almost any purchase is speculative.
rolleyes.gif

The quest will continue. Any further suggestions welcome.

thanks to all

Simon

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #40 of 72
As you can see the WA6 also has the exposed tube issue.

equipment.jpg

And from the Woo website:
wink.gif

External dimension: 6"(H), 5½(W), 13"(D)
Weight: 13.5 lbs

I have no experience with it, but I wonder if the Bada PH-12 (and its tube guard) is worth adding to the list for consideration? Anyone heard it with the GS1K? What about the enclosed Cayin HA-1A?

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #41 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Pieman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The WA5 looks like an absolute weapon. I wish! Nearly 3k US according to the Woo website, plus a DAC. The Woo has far too many exposed tubes to be around kids for my liking. But a great suggestion nonetheless.

I will have a look at the Woo 6 or maybe the Singlepower MPX3. I am a bit concerned about the physical footprint of the Singlepower. The Singlepower and Woo websites lack information about the physical dimensions of their amplifiers.

The other option presented by Jahn, or one of his army of posters
tongue.gif
, was the Melos. These seem to be rather hard to come by. But again a great option, which I will look into.

The only solid state that appears to get a mention is the EC/SS. This maybe worth further investigation. I am still wondering whether anybody has listened to GS1k's with an Opera as well.

The only set-up I can audition in Melbourne is the X-Can. So almost any purchase is speculative.
rolleyes.gif

The quest will continue. Any further suggestions welcome.

thanks to all

Simon

I listened to the Opera and GS1K for a couple of weeks and it was the best match for the GS1K out of many amps (RA-1, SP Extreme, Meta42, LDII++, GLite, HRDB). But it was still not exactly what I was looking for.

Jun 28, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #42 of 72
I have to throw in my vote for the Singlepower amp. Having received a care package earlier this week and previously been loving the SDS with L3Ks, been totally meh on it with HD650s/Qualias. However, with every single tube combination (He sent me like ~20-25 tubes) and adapters that I've tried has been amazingly synergistic with the Qualias. Detail/tone/dynamics everything is enhanced. I figured the Rudistor couldn't be matched but now its definitely equal'd (Rudistor still has more soundstage and a bit cleaner sound even single ended, but the fun and the dynamics and tone/texture of the SDS matches those deficits handily). Such a flexible amp made more so by the adapters that Mikhail makes available.

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #43 of 72
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you can see the WA6 also has the exposed tube issue.

equipment.jpg

And from the Woo website:
wink.gif

External dimension: 6"(H), 5½(W), 13"(D)
Weight: 13.5 lbs

I have no experience with it, but I wonder if the Bada PH-12 (and its tube guard) is worth adding to the list for consideration? Anyone heard it with the GS1K? What about the enclosed Cayin HA-1A?

Thanks, My bad on the dimensions. I should have put my glasses on
blink.gif
. The Woo 6 is small enough that I may be able to manufacture a guard for the tubes without impacting the heat drainage from the tubes.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I will have a look at those as well.

thx
Simon

Jun 28, 2007 at 9:26 AM Post #44 of 72
I have the EC/SS (with AD825), Rudistor NKK01se, and Slammed SP Extreme.

IMHO:

1. EC/SS is the best for GS1000 at its price range.
2. NKK01se is better than EC/SS in many ways. However, it's built for portable/transportable, and it's also priced at the range of the standard SP Extreme.
3. The slammed Extreme cost higher in comparison to the other two. However, it can deliver the kind of sound that you won't find from other amps. I love the Extreme loaded with a pair of Chatham 6as7g, or a pair of Chatham 5998 if you like it more vibrant. The bass punch is second to none that I've heard.

The standard Extreme, or platinum version is well within the $2k budget.... just make sure to allow couple hundreds more for tube upgrade.
gs1000.gif

You'll be surprised how nice the GS1000 sounds directly connected to phones jack of the latest Marantz CDP (Cirrus Logic), or RSA tomahawk.
evil_smiley.gif

I also have 4 other tube amps, but they're not very significant with GS1000, and thus not worth to mention.

Edit: Added picture.

Jun 28, 2007 at 9:56 AM Post #45 of 72
Quote:

Reverse VWAPs are when you poke the Grado into your newly cut quarter hole instead of the stock hole end. Lovely. And comfy!

Oh, thoes. Never heard that term before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back