GS Audio Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #1,126 of 1,414
Does it at least compare favorably to the reference Etymotic flat tuning?
Dont have any ety iems lol.

My issue with it is:
1. Timbre, not that good besides female vocals, can tell it has poor timbre overall without even A/Bing something else (basically, failing my level 1 timbre test lol).

2. Tech, if we are including DDs/hybrids, this doesnt compete in the 100 usd area at all, its closer to 20 usd (same with the Kbear Neon, but that one is at least cheaper).

3. Treble, its harsh and peaky, not really well tuned to me.

4. GD3A being vastly superior at just a bit pricier.

Nov 19, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #1,127 of 1,414
I have ordered the GT12x now and curious to see what they are like compared
to the OG GT12.

I would have liked try the top models but too much money and diminishing returns.
Instead of doing a top model I think you should compare to another mid level model, like the st8b, which has a way nicer looking graph than most of their other models, top ones included. Judging by their graphs the st8b and gt12x have the most appealing ones to me. It would be a fun comparison since they both use 4 drivers for bass, and twfk drivers for the rest of the range. They have the same sub bass drivers but the st8b uses more expensive sonion 37 series drivers for mid bass. The gt12x uses twice as many twfk drivers, but they're all clone drivers (probably bellsing), whereas st8b while having less drivers, uses genuine Knowles twfk drivers. Plus it would be interesting to see if the s lineup uses better dampers/crossover circuitry/etc or anything like that to give it an edge over the g lineup, or if its better to just go with a g series iem.

Some early impressions on the ST8B and the Mangrid Tea. Listening was done via 3.5mm on the Cayin N3Pro solid state mode, and PC -> Schiit Bifrost->Schiit Jot2
ST8B-Tea.jpg

Soundstage/tech/ect
The soundstage is much larger on the ST8B. Imaging and the macro and micro details without putting in much time trying to listen to deeply seems to be better on the ST8B.

Bass
Probably the perfect example of BA vs DD bass presentation. When swapping back and forth the ST8B had slightly thicker presentation to the bass, with the Tea having a bit less bite but more overall impact.

Mids/Treble
Teas have a slightly brighter presentation, slightly lighter presentation compared to the little bit thicker ST8B

Overall presentation
Both feels more similar then not, while you are getting better tech/soundstage out of the St8B, the teas will give you a bit more lighter brighter presentation. In all honestly with about 4-5hours of listening done to the Teas, it probably doesn't make much sense to own both since they both fit the same overall role.

Also updated waterfall plots
Waterfall.jpg

Waterfall.jpg
Thanks a ton for this! I was torn between getting the teas and the st8b (and gt12x) but this helps narrow down my options a lot. The st8b sounds exactly like what I prefer, good soundstage/tech but with a darker sound. It's surprisingly hard to get both in an iem. Now I just really need to see someone compare the gt12x and st8b. On another note, your reviews and comparisons are top notch, better than a lot of other reviewers I see so thanks again.
Your Teas look very different than crinacle's. It seems you have a set with QC issues

graph_-_2021-11-18T094231.034.png
It looks fine to me. Its probably looks different to you cause you're trying to compare a regular fr graph to a waterfall one.

Nov 19, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #1,128 of 1,414
It looks fine to me. Its probably looks different to you cause you're trying to compare a regular fr graph to a waterfall one.
graph.png
graph (1).png

Those are very different sets and @gallappago seem to have same set as Super Review

Nov 19, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #1,130 of 1,414
Ah I see what you mean. I wonder if it's qc issues or coupler/measurement variance. The difference is around the resonant peak of the coupler, 8k. However if it is a qc issue his tea looks to be brighter than intended.
I think it's just a revision change. It's unlikely that it's qc when they all look like that.

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #1,131 of 1,414
Nov 19, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #1,133 of 1,414
On the Teas, how does that canyon between 4k-7k affect the overall sound. I would think they are missing some important info through that range?
Maybe thats what contributes to the ' lighter and brighter' feeling?
Keep in mind impressions are from post revision ?/QC Teas

So after EQ I was able to get some more weight back to the notes, but even then it became just a touch thinner still as compared without. Could be the difference in drivers or just my own ears shape playing a role potentially in.

With the canyon for me I do lose harmonics in strings, piccolo, and flute. I caught that listening to Beethoven 9 and Stravinsky Firebird (Example of one can be found roughly at 1:56), but I feel that way with most not neutral to bright headphones in general. In general listening I did notice some general harmonics being pushed further back and cymbals losing a bunch of sizzle. It is done well enough that the lost of energy isn't too distracting overall thou. Unless I am A/Bing sets it just doesn't stick too far out. Natural no, still enjoyable for me yes. Prefer the ST8B presentation in that range more thou.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2021 at 1:11 AM Post #1,134 of 1,414
does anyone know when GD3C will be released?

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #1,137 of 1,414
I have a full review to drop for the GD3B, to finally honor what I promised to GS Audio. I don't think it has a review page, how does this work on Head-Fi? Would there be a character limit I might hit if I just dump it in a post on this thread?
You can open a review page by clicking "add product" button on this page: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/

Nov 22, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #1,139 of 1,414
Keep in mind impressions are from post revision ?/QC Teas

So after EQ I was able to get some more weight back to the notes, but even then it became just a touch thinner still as compared without. Could be the difference in drivers or just my own ears shape playing a role potentially in.

With the canyon for me I do lose harmonics in strings, piccolo, and flute. I caught that listening to Beethoven 9 and Stravinsky Firebird (Example of one can be found roughly at 1:56), but I feel that way with most not neutral to bright headphones in general. In general listening I did notice some general harmonics being pushed further back and cymbals losing a bunch of sizzle. It is done well enough that the lost of energy isn't too distracting overall thou. Unless I am A/Bing sets it just doesn't stick too far out. Natural no, still enjoyable for me yes. Prefer the ST8B presentation in that range more thou.
Thank you for your time and honesty. 😁

Nov 24, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #1,140 of 1,414
Gt12x vs st8b, graphed. Courtesy of gs audio. Both of these look well tuned. St8b looks to have a little more warmth to its lower mids, while the gt12x looks to have more sub bass. The treble tuning is interesting, both fairly tame looking but too similar looking to really able to tell much. The st8b has slightly more treble while the gt12x has a large dip between two of it's peaks. They both seem to have around the same extension, and while it does seem like the st8b rolls off a little quicker and doesn't have as much extension by a bit, I don't know of any couplers that can accurately measure past 8-10k so I would say the differences past that range are well within the very large margin of error/variance.
H22892c6f246745ae9add6a6cedee57e0P.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back