GS-1000 vs. HD650 for movies
Dec 25, 2007 at 7:13 AM Post #16 of 23
Funny thing, owning GS1000 for a while now I never used them for the movies, not ones
confused.gif

So, I thought what the heck, plug them in my Pioneer DTS receiver, put NEMO movie on and only thing I can say, WOW
biggrin.gif

Great presentation, clarity, detail and everything in good balance. They work very good for the movies, imo. I think next one I am going to watch would be MATRIX, yeah.

The question is, are you tempty enough now
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #17 of 23
Do a search friend, this topic has come up quite a few times. There is an abundance of info here.
I myself use the JVC DX1000 and they trounce the Senns and Grados for movies.

Dec 26, 2007 at 2:55 PM Post #18 of 23
I'm guessing that "soundstage" has an altogether different meaning when applied to movies vs. MVs, concert DVDs, and straight audio. I'm with the poster who feels the 650 and GS1K may be overkill. I've tried both in my movie setup and usually end up with the 650 (out of the LD2++) for MVs and concert DVDs and the Sony MDR-XD400 (with movie-music sound mode switch) for movies. The movie mode creates a "realistic" theater-like effect.

Dec 27, 2007 at 10:40 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD-650 is very good for movies because of the diffusefield eq that gives them a very natural sound it actually sounds like the real thing, all other headphones I have or have had sounds artificialy sszzy ksssy when people talk. This allso gives the hd650 a big soundstage for movies. You will also notice that HD650 is very detailed when you use them for movies, bass and treble focused headphones like Dt990 does not sound detailed at all with movies because the midrange dissapears a bit. But for music I like other headphones more.

x2

Although I don't own and haven't tested the GS1000 for movies I have done some extensive listening to them. I own the HD650 and Grado RS1 and for music RS1 (or K1000) is the choice but for the occasional movie with headphones the Senns is on my head. They give a more lush, pleasant and non-fatiguing experience for a source that for me don't need the qualities music craves. With music I want to be swept away by the sound but for movies the sound should be an integral part of the whole experience and not dominate.

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:54 AM Post #20 of 23
The AKG K601s make for a great movie headphone. They are very fun - great 3D sound stage, great mids, good bass. Plus they are rather inexpensive.

Jan 1, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #21 of 23
I have been watching movies on my computer

USB->PS Audio DAC->WooAudio WA6 (maxed) ->

I have been using the gs-1000's and hd-650's. I find myself grabbing the 650's more often than the GS-1000's. I love the Grado's for music. But for the unbalanced playback (large bass, sound effects, talking, etc.) of a movie I like the 650's playback a little better. There seems to be a little more punch that I am looking for.

Cheers,

Jan 2, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #22 of 23
I like HD650 better for everything but for movies it's definitely a winner. GS1000's bloated bass, sucked out mids and shrill highs are not something I'd like to experience when watching movies. I'd say that GS1000 has more spacious soundstage but that's it. Go for the HD650.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back