GS-1000 vs. HD650 for movies
Dec 24, 2007 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

RollsDownWindowsManually

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a headphone with expansive soundstage and great bass response primarily for movie watching.

Between these two, which do you thinkg would provide a more satisfying experience? I have plenty of amplification power to drive either, and will be using a reciever with a dolby headphone processor as a preamp signal.

I am admittedly a fan of the Grado-ish sound, as the MS-2's are my top of the line phone right now. However, I think I'd like to try something with a larger soundstage to better convey the surround effects of movies. The GS-1000 is refuted to have great soundstage and solid bass. My main concern with it is a lack of midrange clarity when used on dialouge intense movie material.

The HD650 seems like a solid all around performer, and is a fair bit cheaper. It will probably out-perform the GS-1000 in the mids, but will it soundstage be as large and will the bass be as solid?

Thanks for your input.

Dec 24, 2007 at 7:06 AM Post #2 of 23
The mids issue seems to be for some unlucky few. My pair certainly don't have that problem, the dialogue/voices are prominent and very "realistic" (to my ears).

Also, one thing the GS1000 does better than anything else I've heard is convey the physical space of the scene, the atmosphere and the air. It's not just the size of the soundstage - you can imagine what the walls taste like, it's so lucid.

Dec 24, 2007 at 7:34 AM Post #3 of 23
I don't have any complaints with the mids on my gs-1000s, and I have owned other cans with great mids like the 701's to compare them to.(my closed can is the 271s, great mids too). I have the hd650 with a zu cable, and I like their soundstage, but I think the gs-1000s soundstage is bigger. Both have great bass, but the gs-1000s have more bass detail, imo.

Dec 24, 2007 at 9:42 AM Post #4 of 23
The HD-650 is very good for movies because of the diffusefield eq that gives them a very natural sound it actually sounds like the real thing, all other headphones I have or have had sounds artificialy sszzy ksssy when people talk. This allso gives the hd650 a big soundstage for movies. You will also notice that HD650 is very detailed when you use them for movies, bass and treble focused headphones like Dt990 does not sound detailed at all with movies because the midrange dissapears a bit. But for music I like other headphones more.

Dec 24, 2007 at 1:24 PM Post #7 of 23
So you want an USD 995 phones for watching movies only, I am not sure what to say
confused.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by RollsDownWindowsManually /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a headphone with expansive soundstage and great bass response primarily for movie watching.

Dec 24, 2007 at 1:57 PM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you want an USD 995 phones for watching movies only, I am not sure what to say
confused.gif

I am. He loves his movies!
biggrin.gif

Dec 24, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 23
If you are going to get a can for movies only, why not consider some closed ones, we all know bass matters in movies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sennheisers perform fine with movies. HD 595 did greatly, HD 650 does gorgeously. I've been thinking Beyer DT770 Pro for the movie rig because of the said bass. Dunno though.

Dec 24, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 23
I think perhaps phones with less bass would be preferable to encourage a decrease the explosions per sh1tty movie ratio over time.
wink.gif

Honestly, I use headphones for films as much as music and I'd go with the Senns. But I think the HD650 and GS1K are overkill.

Personally, the HD580 or HD595 would have better bang for buck and depending on power and signature preference would be better choices. Basically my HD595s pretty much does only video duty now. It doesn't have as expansive a soundstage as the others though.

Although it conflicts a bit with what I just said, although not a large soundstage, have you considered the Ultrasone holographic positioning of the 2500/Ed.9?

Dec 24, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #11 of 23
Aother vote for the 600/650. If you like Grados I find the MS2 to be about as good as it gets. I dont like the GS1000 period. I would stick with the MS2 or get an Alessandro MS Pro.

Dec 24, 2007 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Between these two, which do you thinkg would provide a more satisfying experience? I have plenty of amplification power to drive either, and will be using a reciever with a dolby headphone processor as a preamp signal.

I am admittedly a fan of the Grado-ish sound, as the MS-2's are my top of the line phone right now. However, I think I'd like to try something with a larger soundstage to better convey the surround effects of movies. The GS-1000 is refuted to have great soundstage and solid bass. My main concern with it is a lack of midrange clarity when used on dialouge intense movie material.

The HD650 seems like a solid all around performer, and is a fair bit cheaper. It will probably out-perform the GS-1000 in the mids, but will it soundstage be as large and will the bass be as solid?

Thanks for your input.

This is an interesting question for me, because you're asking about what are my two current favorite headphones (HD650 and GS-1000).

My primary home theater headphone is the AKG HEARO 999 Audiosphere II system, which is awesome for the purpose, and even for wireless music listening when roaming 'round the house.

I have tried both the GS-1000 and the HD650 plugged into the Hearo Box directly (which does not have Dolby Headphone, specifically, but does have Dolby surround circuitry and HRTF adjustments), and, for movies, I'd have to go with the GS-1000 over the HD650, mostly because its wide soundstage plays really well with surround theatrics, and soundstage seems to be of importance to you, based on how you framed your post. (The Hearo Box also allows for several adjustments, for customizing effects for different headphones and people, and I do not use the same settings for the HD650 and GS-1000.)

As for bass response and impact: For me, it's pretty much a draw there, both with great bass reach and control, if properly amped, which, based on your post, seems to be addressed. The HEARO Box doesn't amp either of them ideally, but enough to make movie listening through either headphone a blast (with a nod to the GS-1000 in this application, though, to my ears).

b.gif

Dec 25, 2007 at 3:42 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused.gif

I'm loaded, what can I say.

Only kidding of course. The cost is a definite factor in favor of the HD650. Plus I'd like to hear what all the hubbub is about since it's such a highly regarded headphone. And who knows, if I really take to this new pair who's to say it won't supplant my MS-2's as my preferred headphone for music listening as well? In the end, it might not necessarily be just for movies, it's just that I'd like to experiement with "large soundstage" phones for this application.

I've researched the Stax's a little bit but don't know that I want to delve into the amplification issues and reputed "thin bass" of electrostatics (although the ER4S is reputed to have thin bass too and I actually find it quite satisfying).

Looks like most of the votes are leaning toward the HD650, I'll have to mull things over a little mor before I make a definite decison.

Dec 25, 2007 at 6:03 AM Post #14 of 23
I have never heard of HD650 using with movies, but from my memory they are to present on the head, while GS1000 much comfy, imo.
My wireless AKG, same as 999 system, are pretty good to, but they are quit heavy and thats one of the important things, when you use phones for a long sessions.
There are alternatives, like PHILIPS SBC HD 1500 digital wireless system, which are specially made for such things as movies.

Not sure if you can buy them in US

Quote:

Only kidding of course. The cost is a definite factor in favor of the HD650. Plus I'd like to hear what all the hubbub is about since it's such a highly regarded headphone. And who knows, if I really take to this new pair who's to say it won't supplant my MS-2's as my preferred headphone for music listening as well? In the end, it might not necessarily be just for movies, it's just that I'd like to experiement with "large soundstage" phones for this application.

I've researched the Stax's a little bit but don't know that I want to delve into the amplification issues and reputed "thin bass" of electrostatics (although the ER4S is reputed to have thin bass too and I actually find it quite satisfying).

Looks like most of the votes are leaning toward the HD650, I'll have to mull things over a little mor before I make a definite decison.

Dec 25, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

I preferred the HD280 Pro to the HD650 for movie watching. Last time I checked my old HD280s were hanging out with Kasp3r in Austin. The DT880 are great for movies and I would guess the DT770 would work very well too.

I have one of my STAX amps hooked up to a modified DVD/SACD player but I don't own a TV. I've heard of people using STAX to watch TV but... why?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back