GS-1000/Aune X1 combo? Stupid idea?
Sep 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

_nomad

Head-Fier
Okay, so I just got a pretty sweet deal on a pair of used GS-1000s. I currently own a pair of heavily modded SR60s, which I adore, and I've been trying to keep the upgradeitis away for some time, but recently it's been hitting me hard. I am aware that the GS-1000 is an entirely different beast than the 60s sound wise, but from what I've read in reviews, I think they'll match my tastes well. Besides, it seems that the general opinion on here is that the entire Prestige line all the way up to the 325s sound quite similar.
I've considered the RS-series, but it seems to me the price difference between the GS-1000s and say the RS-1s is so small when buying used, that why not go all the way, and at the sime time try something a bit different. And I'll still have my old 60s for that Grado "house sound" which I do love 
smile.gif
 So I'm pretty much set on getting the GS-1000s at some point.

But here's the desicion to make: I'm currently using the 60s with an Aune X1 DAC/amp out of my desktop via USB, FLAC of course. From what I've read, the GS-1000s are quite picky when it comes to amps, but will they sound awful with this one? I am really enjoying the X1/SR60 combo, but I guess that's no guarantee that the GS-1000's won't sound like crap through the same amp..? Any thoughts? 
I can't afford both a new amp and these cans at the same time, so I will probably be using them in that setup for quite some time.

Is it worthwhile, or should I just put up with the upgradeitis and hang out with my 60s until I can afford an amp that I know will work well with the 1000s? 
confused.gif

Any help is much appreciated!

Sep 14, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 4
The GS1000 should not be that hard to drive power wise since it's 32 ohm impedance and all, so I think the X1 would do fine if it drives the 60's well. But whether it is good synergy or not I can't tell, would have to wait for someone with the combo to chime in.

Sep 14, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #4 of 4
Hm, I guess you're right. And that's probably not going happen soon, seeing as they're hardly in the same relative price range 
tongue.gif

And Grados in general are hard to come by in this neck of the woods, so I don't really have a chance to try them out. 
Maybe someone who's tried both the GS1000 and the X1 could shed some light on the matter..
I think I'm basically looking for help in justifying the purchase
gs1000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back